Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Painting body on rotisserie
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Type 47
I told them it should be painted like it was dipped in a vat of paint...they said if I want the vinyl back on the sail panels they want to put sealer on them b/c the paint will peel off from the vinyl glue.

I thought the whole think got painted...am I wrong?
Mike Bellis
To get the vinyl to stick to the paint you may have to scuff it up to make a "key" to bond. Big deal... Paint it. You can take some 500 grit to it later if you want the sail vinyl.
scotty b
B.S. dry.gif Paint it then once the paint has setup, sand it lightly with 220 grit. Glue the vinyl on. Never had a problem

Ask your painter to explain to you, why the gluie will peel the clear off but not the primer ? slap.gif
McMark
Yup. BS. And would make me wonder if this guy knows what he's talking about with anything.

Technically, the cars that came with vinyl didn't get painted across the targa bar. But he doesn't know that unless he's a hardcore 914 guy.
Type 47
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 6 2013, 06:42 PM) *

Yup. BS. And would make me wonder if this guy knows what he's talking about with anything.

Technically, the cars that came with vinyl didn't get painted across the targa bar. But he doesn't know that unless he's a hardcore 914 guy.

No he's a hard core muscle car guy...he's used to full roof vinyl tops.
scotty b
QUOTE(Type 47 @ Feb 6 2013, 07:36 PM) *

No he's a hard core muscle car guy...he's used to full roof vinyl tops.

I can get you a pic of a Chevelle I looked at today that HAD a vinyl top on it ? Not much left once the top was pulled off. There was only primer under it rolleyes.gif
rick 918-S
I call bs.gif Todays urethanes are tough as nails. That would occasionally happen with lacquer and un-catalyzed enamel. But back in the day there were heavy solvents in the adhesives. Oh, and Vinyl top adhesive is very hot, solvent rich. The stuff you get at the auto parts store and Menards can't hold a candle to that stuff.
Tom_T

Nope...

Mine was/is painted L80E under the vinyl Mark....from the factory! Later repaints are not under the vinyl (sahara biege, gold, copper, anthracite metallics) done by me & OO/PO.

I think they were all painted all over, then picked from the line to add the vinyl - including the few early 73's with A-pillar vinyl AFAIK.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 7 2013, 01:45 PM) *
Nope...

Mine was/is painted L80E under the vinyl Mark....from the factory! Later repaints are not under the vinyl (sahara biege, gold, copper, anthracite metallics) done by me & OO/PO.

I think they were all painted all over, then picked from the line to add the vinyl - including the few early 73's with A-pillar vinyl AFAIK.

Nope ...

I have seen many, many 914s that only had gray/white primer under the targa bar vinyl.
popcorn[1].gif
MDG
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 6 2013, 09:42 PM) *

Yep . . .

Across the top of the targa bar of my 73 was essentially primer; the Phoenix Red that was there was basically overspray from when they did the underside of the bar and the insides of the sail panels. As I say - the outsides of the sails and the top of the bar - where all the vinyl went - were mostly primer with some L32K dusted on.
islabob
At Chrysler"s Newark Assembly a paint department clerk won a suggestion award by suggesting not painting the roofs of cars that were going to have a vinyl roof, probably late sixties.
scotty b
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 7 2013, 02:58 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 7 2013, 01:45 PM) *
Nope...

Nope ...

I have seen many, many 914s that only had gray/white primer under the targa bar vinyl.
popcorn[1].gif

agree.gif Most if not all I have pulled off were "body in white" underneath the vinyl
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.