Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NPR Big Bore Kits
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
birkinboy
Starting on the rebuild on my 1.8 and looking into a Big Bore kit. See many brands out there. Some look good others look like Chinese junk. Atlanta has Biral cast kits,
any idea what that is and R they any good? Ebay has the QSC kits avail, they are cheap and look it. The old adage 'you get what U pay for' is usually true. Heard good things about the NPR kits but is it true they are NLA? I did locate a new set of NPR's
for $400. Seems like a good price, Is that reasonable?
wndsrfr
For my 2316 I got a set of 1.8 cylinders and had them bored out to 96mm & fitted a set of JE forged pistons. Max reliability with no issues from cylinders going oval since the original used set of cylinders were well seasoned....
914Sixer
NPR's have been out of production for about 10 yrs. They were made in Japan. They seemed to hold up well. Lots of 356's ran them in the 90's. They were about $200 new in the 90's. Not sure what a fair price would be today.
Cap'n Krusty
While it may not be what you're looking for, I have a couple of sets of OE 1.8 (93mm) pistons and cylinders that need to find new homes.

The Cap'n
Dave_Darling
Biral usually refers to a cast-iron liner with aluminum fins shrunk onto them. Aluminum has better thermal conductivity, but the iron provides the wear surface. They're more expensive to make than straight cast-iron cylinders.

--DD
lonewolfe
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 6 2013, 09:49 PM) *

Biral usually refers to a cast-iron liner with aluminum fins shrunk onto them. Aluminum has better thermal conductivity, but the iron provides the wear surface. They're more expensive to make than straight cast-iron cylinders.

--DD

Hey Dave! Do you know if the Birals that AA sells are good quality? They've caught my eye but I don't know of anyone running them.
euro911
QUOTE(birkinboy @ Feb 6 2013, 07:11 PM) *

Starting on the rebuild on my 1.8 and looking into a Big Bore kit. See many brands out there. Some look good others look like Chinese junk. Atlanta has Biral cast kits,
any idea what that is and R they any good? Ebay has the QSC kits avail, they are cheap and look it. The old adage 'you get what U pay for' is usually true. Heard good things about the NPR kits but is it true they are NLA? I did locate a new set of NPR's
for $400. Seems like a good price, Is that reasonable?
Yes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.