Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Let's play
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
442nd914s
Can anyone tell me where this white wire goes to? It seems to be a ground wire. It runs outside the jacket of wires that go to the dizzy. Its off of 2.0l FIClick to view attachment Click to view attachment

Thanks for ya'lls help
914itis
It's either the CHT sensor or oil pressure switch . Where is the end of the bigger bunch going?

We need a better picture showing the whole engine area
914itis
Definitely oil pressure switch, the CHT is coming from a thicker part of the harness.
McMark
Thermo time switch.
reharvey
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 6 2013, 10:28 PM) *

Thermo time switch.

agree.gif
stateofidleness
What kinda plug wires are those? Me likes.
Cap'n Krusty
Yup. TTS. In stock German wiring, across the board, ground wires are nearly ALWAYS brown. Since this wire is white and in the ignition harness, it cannot be a ground wire. Note, however, that Bosch EFI dedicated wiring is almost always white, and that's when you have to read the numbers on the wires and the numbers on the wiring diagram.

The Cap'n
Tom
If that white wire comes out of the ignition harness it is the wire for the AAR, the only white wire in that harness. The white wire for the TTS comes from the fuel injection harness.
Trace it back and make sure which harness it comes out of. The ignition harness goes to the relay board 12 pin connector.
Tom
dfelz
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Feb 6 2013, 08:54 PM) *

agree.gif popcorn[1].gif
somd914
QUOTE(dfelz @ Feb 7 2013, 04:37 AM) *

agree.gif popcorn[1].gif

Plug wires look like mine. If they are they would be Fyrebraids from Automotion:

http://www.automotion.com/ignition-wires-f...-1955-1976.html

JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(somd914 @ Feb 7 2013, 05:52 AM) *

QUOTE(dfelz @ Feb 7 2013, 04:37 AM) *

agree.gif popcorn[1].gif

Plug wires look like mine. If they are they would be Fyrebraids from Automotion:

http://www.automotion.com/ignition-wires-f...-1955-1976.html

agree.gif

They really dress up your engine.

McMark
QUOTE(Tom @ Feb 7 2013, 01:08 AM) *

If that white wire comes out of the ignition harness it is the wire for the AAR, the only white wire in that harness. The white wire for the TTS comes from the fuel injection harness.
Trace it back and make sure which harness it comes out of. The ignition harness goes to the relay board 12 pin connector.
Tom

Tom, I thought the same thing, then after I posted I inspected the picture again and you can see the AAR connection below the wire in question.
Cap'n Krusty
OOPS. That's what I get for posting while not in the presence of a wiring diagram. My mistake, freely admitted!

The Cap'n
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 7 2013, 10:36 AM) *

OOPS. That's what I get for posting while not in the presence of a wiring diagram. My mistake, freely admitted!

The Cap'n

WTF.gif Thats rare! smile.gif
TheCabinetmaker
While it is rare for those who are very learned in their profession to make mistakes, They are usually the first to admit it when they do.
442nd914s
QUOTE(dfelz @ Feb 7 2013, 03:37 AM) *

agree.gif popcorn[1].gif

Thanks for noticing. These wires are to compliment my MSD. I bought them from Pelican:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...%2D%37%36%29%20

As for the "white wire", I noticed it while removing/disconnecting the AAR. I have since reconnected it to a rectangular brown harnest. Ops check good on the AAR. Im not so familar with the "thermo switch". I did notice some kind of sensor with.a wire connected already just aft of the dizzy going into the engine (could this be the thermo switch, if so, should it have 2 wires) Only reason I think its a ground wire is: continuity from wire to ground of car while battery is disconnected. I tried tracing it back, but with everything in the way its hard to do.
Its sort of part of the dizzy wire harnest bundle. From the dizzy harnest, this wire is found 7-8 inches behind wrapped by a jacket (as pictured). This is ALL ORINGINAL Djet FI if it makes a difference.
Tom
Mark,
agree.gif
Yes, I see that now also. I believe the harness the wire is coming from is the fuel injection harness and that wire is most likely for the TTS.
442nd914s,
There should be two harnesses going to the distributor, One to the trigger points and another one from the relay panel 12 pin connector. The trigger points harness has the TTS white wire in it. The ignition harness has the AAR white wire in it. The other wires in the ignition harness are for the positive power to the coil + (black), the coil -( for the tach) (Black/purple), and the oil pressure sensor( grey/red). The other wires in the ignition harness break out closer to the left rear of the engine bay for the starter( large yellow) and the back up lights ( grey/brown and green/red).
Tom
442nd914s
QUOTE(Tom @ Feb 7 2013, 08:00 PM) *

Mark,
agree.gif
Yes, I see that now also. I believe the harness the wire is coming from is the fuel injection harness and that wire is most likely for the TTS.
442nd914s,
There should be two harnesses going to the distributor, One to the trigger points and another one from the relay panel 12 pin connector. The trigger points harness has the TTS white wire in it. The ignition harness has the AAR white wire in it. The other wires in the ignition harness are for the positive power to the coil + (black), the coil -( for the tach) (Black/purple), and the oil pressure sensor( grey/red). The other wires in the ignition harness break out closer to the left rear of the engine bay for the starter( large yellow) and the back up lights ( grey/brown and green/red).
Tom

Tom,
What is this TTS that you speak of? Perhaps a picture or discription of where I might find this part. Sorry for the ignorance, Im a newbie. Does it make a differance if Im running a Pertronix system? Cause I already have the + & - tach wire already accounted for to the coil.
Thanks for your help
Cap'n Krusty
The thermo-time switch is a device under the intake plenum, close to the distributor and oil pressure switch. On a D-jet engine, it has a single male spade connector and is screwed into a stamped metal bracket. it's part of the cold start system, and provides a temperature dependent current path for the cold start valve. If you live where it never gets below about 32 degrees F, you may never see it work.

The Cap'n.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.