Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 74 2.0 in Nor Cal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CG-914
I accepted a job in Nor Cal Santa Cruz area,
and my '74 2.0 is my daily driver and when the rebuild is done,
it will have 40 webers for the next year or so before I will go back to FI.

The question is it already grandfathered out so I do not need to worry about emission control?

Thanks
Jeffs9146
75 and earlier is exempt as long as you don't need an inspection to verify a salvage recovery!
JStroud
Yes, any vehicle 1975 or older does not have to be emissions tested in California.
Santa Cruz is a nice area, what company will you be working for?
I have two brothers in Santa Cruz. Good luck with you're new job and home.

Jeff
Mike Bellis
To bring a car here and register it, the DMV will inspect your paperwork and VIN. They will not require a smog check due to the year exempt status...

No worries!
CG-914
Thank you guys, that helped a lot. pray.gif

So is there a local 914 group in the bay area?
What about AutoX?

What is going on with that meet in Sacramento on the 03/16/2013?
There is only the event posted..... dry.gif
ConeDodger
Lots going on in the Santa Cruz area. Local PCA is an auto crossing monster machine...
ConeDodger
As for the event in March, I don't know. Looks like food and BS session. 0 post lurker so I'm not sure who it might be. confused24.gif
JStroud
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 7 2013, 06:49 AM) *

As for the event in March, I don't know. Looks like food and BS session. 0 post lurker so I'm not sure who it might be. confused24.gif

Not sure who it is either Rob, I could be wrong, but isn't the Folsom Sports Garage owned by someone involved with the Mather ax group. Maybe one of the instructors, races a red 914, sloped nose? confused24.gif

Might try and make it, the Mather ax group is good people.

Jeff
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(CG-914 @ Feb 6 2013, 10:06 PM) *

I accepted a job in Nor Cal Santa Cruz area,
and my '74 2.0 is my daily driver and when the rebuild is done,
it will have 40 webers for the next year or so before I will go back to FI.

The question is it already grandfathered out so I do not need to worry about emission control?

Thanks

Any car 1975 and older is not required to be tested but I think it is still required to be able to pass inspection if one is ordered. Just don't piss off any Highway Patrolman.
McMark
Isn't this the part where SirAndy jumps in and says Santa Cruz is mid-Cal. av-943.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 7 2013, 09:49 AM) *

Isn't this the part where SirAndy jumps in and says Santa Cruz is mid-Cal. av-943.gif

agree.gif

Yupp, and southern Mid-Cal at that. And not really that close to the SF bay area either.
shades.gif
MartyYeoman
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 7 2013, 11:53 AM) *

And not really that close to the SF bay area either.

What do you mean? It's just over there...
Jeffs9146
Where in Santa Cruz will you be located?

I was born and raised there if you need any input on where to live and where to avoid! My mom and brother still live there!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Feb 7 2013, 12:14 PM) *
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 7 2013, 11:53 AM) *
And not really that close to the SF bay area either.

What do you mean? It's just over there...

2 hour drive from Oakland is not exactly what i would call 'just over there'.
rolleyes.gif
damesandhotrods
Like most cities in the Bay Area, it’s not that far away. The killer is the time, leave at the wrong time and it’ll take hours…
Tom_T
QUOTE(jsconst @ Feb 6 2013, 10:14 PM) *

Yes, any vehicle 1975 or older does not have to be emissions tested in California.

Jeff

I hate to rain of this parade, but note that he's coming from out-of-state in TN - which usually requires an inspection for all cars coming into the state.

That usually means they will expect it to still be equipped with whatever smog equipment was original to the car, and technically anyone in-state could be randomly inspected for it to, as DMV has threatened to do for years.

Question is, will anyone inspecting it know....

You'd be best to do some research on the Cal DMV & BAR websites to see what you'll need to do, & how/where/by-whom the inspection will be done, since they've just ushered in a bunch of new laws in 2013.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/home/dmv.htm

http://www.bar.ca.gov/

Good Luck! beerchug.gif

JimN73
If you're going to autocross, go to AXPaddock.com. When the 914Club faded into obscurity a couple-three years ago, a member started axpaddock and many of the club axers went there. Now, it's primarily a SF Bay/Monterey bay Porsche group although membership is open to all axers everywhere.
damesandhotrods
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 7 2013, 01:56 PM) *

QUOTE(jsconst @ Feb 6 2013, 10:14 PM) *

Jeff

I hate to rain of this parade, but note that he's coming from out-of-state in TN - which usually requires an inspection for all cars coming into the state.

That usually means they will expect it to still be equipped with whatever smog equipment was original to the car, and technically anyone in-state could be randomly inspected for it to, as DMV has threatened to do for years.

You'd be best to do some research on the Cal DMV & BAR websites to see what you'll need to do, & how/where/by-whom the inspection will be done, since they've just ushered in a bunch of new laws in 2013.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/home/dmv.htm

http://www.bar.ca.gov/

Good Luck! beerchug.gif

About 6 months ago, I registered a ’73 914 that I brought into California from Oregon. They looked the car over but did not inspect the engine or require a smog test. But I also owned the car for more than a year in Oregon.
damesandhotrods
The emission laws in California are still in effect for pre ’75 cars, they are just not requiring an inspection at this time. They’ve changed the inspection laws before, and they’ll probably do it again. The other thing to think about is in California passing a smog test is the seller’s responsibility. If they ever go back to smog tests at transfer of registration, you’ll have to take the carbs off and put fuel injection back on to be able to be able to sell it.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 7 2013, 01:56 PM) *

I have brought in several exempt out of state cars. DMV only checks the VIN and paperwork. No smog test required. Technically you are required to have the smog equipment but they wont check for it nor will they require you to get it tested.

DO NOT TELL THEM THE ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT HAS BEEN REMOVED! IF YOU DO, THEY WILL MAKE YOU TEST. YOU WILL FAIL THE VISUAL PART OF THE TEST.

Just tell them it's all original, no modifications ( If they ask). DMV people are not mechanics and have no idea what they are looking at.
Steve
i brought my 75 car in from AZ with webers on a six conversion. They only checked the vins and didn't care about anything else. But of course i did not volunteer any other information. I would be more worried about the SantaCruz Capitola sea air over there. Tons of rusted out cars in that area.
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(Steve @ Feb 7 2013, 06:47 PM) *

i brought my 75 car in from AZ with webers on a six conversion. They only checked the vins and didn't care about anything else. But of course i did not volunteer any other information. I would be more worried about the SantaCruz Capitola sea air over there. Tons of rusted out cars in that area.

I agree about the air in Santa Cruz!
Jeffs9146
Double post
scrz914
Yupp, and southern Mid-Cal at that. And not really that close to the SF bay area either.

Don't tell that to the SF Giants...they consider Santa Cruz part of their "territory".

Welcome to Santa Cruz [insert surfer smiley]
poorsche914
QUOTE(CG-914 @ Feb 7 2013, 01:06 AM) *
I accepted a job in Nor Cal Santa Cruz area...

Congratulations, Cornelius.
Will you still be in Knoxville for the Great Porsche Show Off?

steve
driving.gif
CG-914
I was worried there for a moment, but that seems doable...

Thank you all for your help!!! I hope to meet some of you guys out there and I am really looking forward of driving hwy 1 driving.gif !
Some Tips to the area would be great! Maybe even somebody has room above his garage for rent. blink.gif smile.gif

Thank you Steve and what show of? Spring Thing? When is it?
damesandhotrods
Highway 1 is pleasant. You’ll want to drive Highway 9…
Dave_Darling
Highway 9, Skyline, Summit Road--lots of good twisties in the area.

Most of the local PCA regions run autoXes at Marina airport. That's just down from Santa Cruz near Monterey, which means you'll be closer than most attendees.

Loma Prieta Region (LPR) is a good bunch. In some ways, they resemble a drinking club with a car problem, though.

--DD
halmil
There is a 914 meet and greet at the Pancake House in Fremont tomorrow morning at 9:14am.
EdwardBlume
Bunch of hippees over in Santa Cruz.... nice weather. Great location. Typical surfer town issues and commuter gridlock.
EdwardBlume
Oh, and the AX region to join is LPR for the AX series. I knew someone there once.... blink.gif
poorsche914
QUOTE(CG-914 @ Feb 8 2013, 02:24 AM) *
Thank you Steve and what show of? Spring Thing? When is it?

Great Porsche Show Off is in Knoxville on Saturday morning Feb. 23. This is the event where we first met (last year).
Spring Thing is April 26-28 in Townsend.

When are you headed west?

driving.gif
CG-914
My start date will be on March the 11th sawzall-smiley.gif .
I will work as a mechanic trainee for Canepa Design/Bruce Canepa.

http://www.canepa.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UlnMtQjJVM

I will arrive around the 9th driving.gif in Santa Cruz.
If you have a room for rent or know somebody that does,
even some garage options with the rent,
that would be more then appreciated! pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif

Steve: I dont know my schedule yet, but if there is a friction of a chance I will make it on the 23rd!
Right know I would call the chances 40% of making it....
In April I'm of course gone sad.gif

Thank you all!

Click to view attachment
7TPorsh
ooooh...Ferraris
JimN73
Canepa is a great place. We toured there last year on the WCR and the local PCA regions visit sometimes.

Being accepted there is apparently a very good thing.

Jim
damesandhotrods
Bummer. Santa Cruz, like the rest of California has a pretty tight rental market. Santa Cruz being a college town has most of its rentals hitting the market in June when school lets out. I’m going to assume you’re aware of rental prices already…
Dave_Darling
Canepa is up in Scotts Valley, I believe. Commuting up from Santa Cruz would be a pain; there is a stupendous amount of traffic going "over the hill" in the morning and the evening.

You may have better luck in San Jose or Los Gatos; that would be going against the commute direction so traffic would be less aggravating. (Still not great though.)

If you can swing it, Scotts Valley or Felton or up in that area might be a less-bad commute.

Check the traffic maps (Google maps gives you a "traffic" function that gives you a rough idea of how the larger roads are moving at the current time) to see what I mean. You may be able to find highway traffic cams on line as well.

--DD
Jeffs9146
agree.gif

Scotts Valley would be a better place to commute from, you will be way happier if you are near there!

Felton is a bit more laid back with a lot of pot growers and meth labs but is an easy fun commute to Scotts Valley!
Mike Bellis
Boulder Creek is close by. Lots of twisty roads and cheaper than Scotts Valley
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.