Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I got two new super cool license plates
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VegasRacer
I figured any smuck who could scrounge up the $35 fee and gradutated from 'hooked on phonics' could get a vanity license plate. I wanted something much better and more unique for my new street legal teener.

It sure is nice to have friends in the DMV.
VegasRacer
This one is my latest addition to my collection of race and rally plates. It is from the 2nd place Ferrari in the 1954 Carrera Panamericana Mexico. Phil Hill was the driver and the co-pilot was none other than future 914 racer Richie Ginter.

Microsoft multi-millionare Bruce McCaw may own the Ferrari now, but all he has is a crappy reproduction license plate. I have the real plate and a crappy model of the car. I figure that makes us about even.

I know what you're thinking . . . . . . don't ask.
If they found out what I paid they would send the guys in white coats to fit me for one of those jackets with the wrap around sleeves that buckle in the back and put me in a room with padding on the walls.
neo914-6
Hey John,
I bought one of those on my last trip to Taiwan along with my Rolex.... laugh.gif
Nice find!
Felix
Jeroen
Cool score!
Qarl
How do you know your is the real one?

Just curious?
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Qarl @ Nov 13 2004, 08:21 PM)
How do you know your is the real one?

I did a lot of specific research before I purchased this plate.

1.) I have serveral other PanAm plates in my collection that I was able to compare it to. The way the paint cracked and crazed on the front after 50 years is exactly the same. The over-spray and other details on the back are identical.

2.) I have better photos than the one above of this and other reproduction plates. The lettering font on the replicas is not correct. The 'R's are the most obvious errors.

3.) The man who sold it to me told me that his father was one of the mechanics on the car. I checked with my sources to verify this fact. One of my contacts was a press reporter who made a movie about the race. He was able to confirm the name.

4.) The way I came to find out about the existence of this plate is a story in itself. The seller had all of the right answers to my many many questions. We exchanged lots of e-mails and had a few phone conversations before we made the deal.

5.) When I met the mechanics son in person to inspect the plate and complete the deal, I was impressed by his humility and sincerity. He had lots of other vintage racing memorabilia from his fathers career. His personal stories about the car and the race confirmed facts I already knew plus filled in a few gaps in my information.

6.) One of the sources I looked to for information was an Internet Ferrair club discussion board. One of the members there posted this picture that shows the same cut corner on the right side of the plate.

I have been collecting license plates for as long as I have had a 914 (more than 10 years). I have come to know a little about both of these passions. Everything about this plate looked, sounded and smelled correct . . . . . so I bought it.
ChrisReale
Thats so cool. beerchug.gif
Qarl
Schweet!

I have one that looks just like it I bought at a Hong Kong flea market... that's why I asked!

Just kidding.

Glad you found a treasure, although I am sure it was not a steal!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.