Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I am about to give up on this project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lawrencedesigns
Before I messed with thiings, this car seemed to run pretty well. Still hadn't gotten it smogged, but was just one step away.
I had ignition swith failure, so I replaced the switch, the coil, the cap, the rotor, the points, condensor. Set the dwell, set the timing...and it seemed to run ok.
And then it quickly developed a major high rpm miss with a ton of blue smoke. Still starts and idles fine...but just not driveable.
What did I do wrong? Any ideas?
If anyone is looking for a project car, I am ready to abandon it and go back to the Alfas!

Keeth Lawrence
76 914 2.0
84 Alfa Spyder Veloce
skline
Sounds to me like you are ready to get rid of one headache and take on another. What color is the car? I may know someone who is interested. Otherwise, keep asking questions and have a drink or two and continue on with it. The problem is probably an easy fix. Most of them are.
skline
When you replaced the points and stuff, did you check your injection points as well? I would start there.
McMark
Set the timing with the vacuum advance unhooked?
lawrencedesigns
Oops, timing was set with vacuum hose attached...I was thinking that was the only way it would "advance" to the proper setting at 3400 rpm.
Really suspect the electricals....when it is misfiring the tach is jumping wildly...
The car is white/black interior. Needs some body work and paint...wonder if I can get 1400 for it.....? hmmmmm

Keeth Lawrence
76 914 2.0
84 Alfa Spyder Veloce
Jeroen
QUOTE(lawrencedesigns @ Nov 14 2004, 01:57 AM)
I am ready to abandon it and go back to the Alfas!

Go wash your mouth with soap 'n water slap.gif
davep
After you are done washing up, retime the engine properly. You only want the mechanical advance operating when you are timing. Then hook the vacuum line back up. You'll get it right.
ThinAir
Seems like I remember that a jumping tach is an indication of the points being set too closed. I'd check them with a dwell meter if you've got one and then retime as mentioned by others.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.