Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Muffler choice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
'73-914kid
Well, now that I've elected to keep the 914 and try to make it more quiet, I need to decide what to do exhaust wise..

I currently have a Kerry Hunter header with a Flowmaster 40 series Delta flow behind it. It sounds absolutely awesome around town, and when you get on it, it screams. But....
The freeway drone is killing me. I drive 3 hours every weekend on the freeway, and I'm going deaf because of it.

My first thought was to pick up a stock muffler and throw heat exchangers back on the car. But, I found a youtube video of a car with stock HE's and the OEM Banana muffler on it, and it sounded, well, like barf.gif

Does anyone have any experience with quiet aftermarket mufflers? people on other forums seem to like the sound of Turbo mufflers, but I don't really know much about aftermarket muffler setups, other than that my 40 series is chambered, and way too loud on the freeway..

Any advice regarding muffler choice, ie. brand, type, etc. Would be much appreciated.

Tanks, Ethan
'73-914kid
I would have to say though, I think making the sacrifice on exhaust tone/sound for a heater, and for quiet exhaust may be worth it for the next year and a half while I finish off engineering school.

What say the brain trust..? How bad does the OEM muffler really sound on a hot motor with webers?
yeahmag
I thought mine on a stock 2.0 sounded pretty good, but that was a long time ago. A simple change would be going to something like a quieter muffler on the existing rig. I'd bet money though most of the drone you are getting is from induction. Even with only running a PHASE9 "muffler" (looks like a 2 stroke expansion tank) I think my carbs are louder than the exhaust.

Do you still have all of your sound deadening in the engine compartment? Back pad? Sound deadening behind the back pad? Rain tray?
'73-914kid
I have no backpad, but i have dynamat and carpet on the firewall on the cabin side. Im getting the sound pad from Kent for the engine bay side.

I think a good portion of it is from the intake, but the 40 series is kind of just like a tin can..and resonance seems bad. Crusing down a hill with no throttle input, the exhaust noise is properly loud still..

I found a deal on the oem muffler, and i have he's.. so im not opposed to a trial i suppose
yeahmag
What trans/engine mounts are you running? OEM will quite things down a bit too...
'73-914kid
Stock motor mounts and 911 sport mounts for trans mounts
yeahmag
That shouldn't be too bad... If you are stinking rich there is always this:

http://www.ahnendorp.com/product_info.php?...ts_id=1443&
LotusJoe
I went with the Triad and love it aktion035.gif

Click to view attachment
johnpierre
QUOTE(LotusJoe @ Feb 8 2013, 10:42 AM) *

Click to view attachment

hey lotusJoe. i will be buying a new exhaust soon. i was gong to go with a bursh, but am open to other systems. what about this one do you like so much? cost, exhaust note, better performance, etc. jp
JamesM
QUOTE(LotusJoe @ Feb 8 2013, 11:42 AM) *

Click to view attachment

agree.gif

From what I have heard with the triads SSI+triad seems like they way to go for a non header setup. I plan on getting one for the car I am putting together for my wife.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBf1cpu2A2k

I run the euro race headers on my auto-x car with their stock muffler and its actually pretty quiet, maybe even quiter then my other 2.0 with SSI+Bursch. No performance sound really with the Eurorace muffler. If you like a sportier sound with the headers I have heard good things about Borla mufflers on header setups.

What are you running for your intake? That can make a big difference with noise as well.
Andyrew
Swap out the delta 40 for a $40 turbo muffler and see if its good enough for you.

Personally I'd use a magnaflow, but thats just me smile.gif

Your out the hole $60 with install and you have an exhaust that you can sell if you dont like..

Delta 40's are just about the loudest muffler out there. So ya... And they drone baaad
yeahmag
Loved the Magnaflow on my Bug (2275cc), but it was not by any stretch of the imagination quiet. Maybe a bit less droney though...
'73-914kid
Well, I bit the bullet, and went to a muffler shop this afternoon. $85 for a Stainless turbo muffler installed. I was just planning on going to there to buy a muffler, but at that price installed for STAINLESS, it was hard to beat.

The drone is gone now, it's much more quiet at freeway cruise, and it has a much deeper, growl, rather than a tinny scream.

Mission accomplished beer.gif
Andyrew
beer.gif
eric9144
Ethan, if you're down in this area hit me up--you can drive or ride in mine--it's stock/stock (HE's and Pipe)... I do have the back pad and the pad in the engine compartment...

Edit, too stupid to read the whole thread before replying :\
914itis
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Feb 8 2013, 04:49 PM) *

Well, I bit the bullet, and went to a muffler shop this afternoon. $85 for a Stainless turbo muffler installed. I was just planning on going to there to buy a muffler, but at that price installed for STAINLESS, it was hard to beat.

The drone is gone now, it's much more quiet at freeway cruise, and it has a much deeper, growl, rather than a tinny scream.

Mission accomplished beer.gif

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 8 2013, 01:11 PM) *

Swap out the delta 40 for a $40 turbo muffler and see if its good enough for you.

Personally I'd use a magnaflow, but thats just me smile.gif

Your out the hole $60 with install and you have an exhaust that you can sell if you dont like..

Delta 40's are just about the loudest muffler out there. So ya... And they drone baaad

agree.gif

That is the loudest muffler on the planet!
LotusJoe
QUOTE(johnpierre @ Feb 8 2013, 11:10 AM) *

QUOTE(LotusJoe @ Feb 8 2013, 10:42 AM) *

Click to view attachment

hey lotusJoe. i will be buying a new exhaust soon. i was gong to go with a bursh, but am open to other systems. what about this one do you like so much? cost, exhaust note, better performance, etc. jp

For me it was the sound. It eliminates that VW sound. Performance wise confused24.gif hard to say. The quality of the build is really good. I think the cost was reasonable considering he makes each one to order.
Gint
Cool. Glad you got it worked out. Any more details on the muffler you had put on?

I swapped out my Triad for a while with a stock muffler on my carb'd 2056 with SSIs. We were heading for Atomic Ramble and I didn't want a lot of exhaust noise. It sounded good on acceleration, very quiet on decel. I came to find out that my Triad wasn't any louder at highway speeds, so it went back on. Love the Triad. They have a very low, somewhat louder exhaust note, but there is no drone at all. Best sounding 914/4 muffler out there IMO.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.