Full Version: Got an interesting offer on a set of wheels from a lurker
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete-stevers
The lurker is a zero posts
Paypalled money from switzerland
wants parts sent to Maryland
something just doesn't seem right
yeahmag
PayPal will only protect you if you send the parts to the name and address listed in PayPal. Period.
Kirmizi
agree.gif
And even then it seems like a fight.
billh1963
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Feb 8 2013, 02:01 PM) *

PayPal will only protect you if you send the parts to the name and address listed in PayPal. Period.

Yep....heartache is probably headed your way if you go through with it.

jasons
You could ask the buyer to "gift" you the money.
blitZ
That's odd. Last month, I had my engine on CL and a guy from Switzerland contacted me to buy it. Initially wanted it shipped to Florida, a few days later, shipped to Maryland. It just sounded weird so I blew him off for a local buyer.
pete-stevers
got it all sorted w an old fashion bank draft.
we should b good!
toolguy
I'd be cautious. . . . everything can be counterfeited, even cashiers checks. . . and it may take weeks for you to find out the draft was not real. . . after you've sent the merchandise. .
Remember, there are people out there that make their entire income from defrauding people over the internet. .

I'll add a little Warning on Paypals 'problem resolution' tactics. . . when you sign up for Paypal, you in essence give them the right to add or remove funds from your bank / credit card without reservation or recourse, solely at their discretion. . Yep, It's in the tiny print we all never read, but agree to . . . .

I lost $500 because a person used his relatives Ebay and Paypal account to make an Ebay purchase without their permission. . I sent the merchandise and 2 weeks later was notified by Paypal they were reversing the transaction. . . rather than the legit account owner prosecuting the relative for theft they simple told Paypal they didn't authorize the purchase and Paypal took the funds out of my account and told me I'd need to file legal proceedings against the actual buyer, who they said perpetrated a fraud on the legit account owner. . . . hard to do in another state 2000 miles away. . I went to my bank to get the process reversed and it was then I found out about Paypals absolute control over my account. .

RANT OVER> .
Cupomeat
The sad thing is that we've been burned enough by the 5% of dishonest people that the 95% honest people's unusual request looks like a scam.

Such it is in law, government and any policy related to people. The 95% suffer due to the misddeds of the 5%.
bulitt
agree.gif

Possibly he is paying for a container out of the port of Baltimore and has room for "stuff" headed East?
r_towle
Simple.

Anything international I only accept bank wire transfer.
This requires the other party to show up at the bank and be taped during the transaction.

Its old school, it has worked for decades, and its super secure.
There is no BS with a bank wire transfer.
There is a fee....get over it.

rich
rhodyguy
USPS money orders stateside and international its american express mo unless i KNOW the recipient. giving bank account and tracking #s, too scary. fuck pp.

Eric_Shea
Contrarily... I've dealt with European buyers who amass parts in a port location for one bulk shipment. That said, with the PayPal restrictions for shipping to the account holder etc... I would do as Rich suggests and get a wire transfer.
Ian Stott
The few transactions I have done where I sent a cheque or money order I have always stated " please feel free to make sure your funds are in place before you ship to me" Any person not willing to conduct business this way should make you feel uneasy. I too have learned the hard way that not everybody is honest and will try to milk you for all they can and then disappear. I have also learned that the 914 crowd is a grear bunch, I refer to the lurker posts about trust issues with newbies!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
914outlaw
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 8 2013, 05:46 PM) *

Simple.

Anything international I only accept bank wire transfer.
This requires the other party to show up at the bank and be taped during the transaction.

Its old school, it has worked for decades, and its super secure.
There is no BS with a bank wire transfer.
There is a fee....get over it.

rich

agree.gif

Onus is on sending bank to verify identity. Once in your account, they can't reclaim it.
Mikey914
Id o business with overseas clients. Wire transfer is the only way to go. Cost is $25 at my bank, but unless I know them, it's the only way to go.
RON S.

Definitely sounds bad.

Doing a deal internationally, wire transfers are the way to go if you've never met the buyer.

Just from my own recent experiences on the 911registry, posting WTB & WTS classifieds, every one has been responded to me from individuals from Europe at one time or another.

Each had no postings, and usually wanted my phone number. They contacted me through emails.

I blew them off, not waning to deal with the drama.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.