Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No Sightings of Me?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bembry
Damn--I drove down half of the Eastern Seaboard Tuesday in my 914 from Rhode Island to Maryland to drop off the teener in preparation for my reassignment to the Pentagon. Nobody saw my car whizzing down I 95?

Aside from leaving in a snowstorm, a nasty pushrod tube leak, an even bigger exhaust leak, and some unlocated gasoline fumes, no drama. 414 miles total. piratenanner.gif

Man-the roads were salty, and I got stuck behind a truck spraying liquid salt. So much for my CA non-salty roads car. I did take it to a coin op carwash and wash the hell out of it in MD though. When I move in a month, I'll do that again and take the bumpers and rocker covers off so I don't wind up with a rusty POS. Looking forward to linking up with folks in the MD/DC/VA area.

Here I am at a rest stop somewhere in Southern NJ after the snow stopped. IPB Image
billh1963
Your white car blended in with the snow and salt ! biggrin.gif
bulitt
Was that you with your pants down around your ankles peeing off the Delaware Memorial Bridge? blink.gif
jsayre914
I saw your car.

It was facing the wrong way in a parking lot between a silver car and a blue car if I remember correctly.

rolleyes.gif
bembry
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Feb 8 2013, 02:08 PM) *

I saw your car.

It was facing the wrong way in a parking lot between a silver car and a blue car if I remember correctly.

rolleyes.gif

I think I was the only one who pulled in right!
bembry
QUOTE(bulitt @ Feb 8 2013, 02:02 PM) *

Was that you with your pants down around your ankles peeing off the Delaware Memorial Bridge? blink.gif

It should have been...I was about to piss myself around then. sad.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Feb 8 2013, 01:08 PM) *

I saw your car.

rolleyes.gif

Note the sign....I guess they don't want anyone idle in NJ..... He got stopped for "Idling"! biggrin.gif

Glad you & your 914 made it safely Brent! Pentagon, eh!? Movin' up the ladder I suppose!

Still a "light commander"?

Better chance we may see you there, as my brother & family are in Alexandria, and daughter/hubby are outside of Asheville NC with 1st grandkid due in August. So we may be back east a bit more this year, but not sure if we'll be up there.

Son is in Afghanistan now, along with one nephew - so he's not up at Ft Drum NY until Oct.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
///////
Slink

Is that picture on 295 in So Jersey?. That does not look like the TPK rest
area. You are lucky beating the storm.
casey944
You are brave. it will be good to have another white 914 locally! Shoot me a message if you need food/things to do recommendations.
Bruce Hinds
Best thing for getting salt off of boats and seaplanes is a product sold at West Marine called Salt Away. The Salt Away helps break the salt loose so it doesn't take so much scrubbing and then, after that you can use something called Corrosion X which will get in places you can't. On my 1947 seaplane, the Corrosion X actually works it way between lapped pieces of riveted aluminum and will weep around the rivets.
Check out this article . . .
CORROSION TREATMENTS: WELL WORTH THE TROUBLE

While there is evidence CorrosionX provides the best protection, ACF-50 also works well. Get it applied by a pro, however, or you'll be cleaning it up for months.

Corrosion is like aging; it does its damage slowly and is easy to overlook—until major systems begin to fail. Unlike aging, we know how to stop corrosion in aircraft. It's cheap insurance against a slow destruction of your airframe.

The downside is a cleaning up your airplane for at least a few weeks, and possibly several months. You also might discover corrosion damage that would have passed unnoticed for years and now appears as loose rivets and joints. We're not sure revealing lurking damage is a downside, however. We'd rather stop the spread and know the full extent of any degradation here and now.

This is where owners of fiberglass aircraft get to turn to the next article with a smug expression on their faces. The rest of us who fly aluminum birds should read the full article.
Here is the site.
http://www.avweb.com/news/maint/aluminum_c...0_208138-1.html

flipb
Welcome to the neighborhood. We need more teeners on the roads around here.

piratenanner.gif
somd914
DC area - a few teeners plus 1 running around...

You'll need to check out Katies Cars & Coffee in Great Falls, VA on Saturday mornings. During the summer you can count on well over 100 cars showing up, primarily euro cars new and old.

bembry
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 8 2013, 02:35 PM) *

QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Feb 8 2013, 01:08 PM) *

I saw your car.

rolleyes.gif

Note the sign....I guess they don't want anyone idle in NJ..... He got stopped for "Idling"! biggrin.gif

Glad you & your 914 made it safely Brent! Pentagon, eh!? Movin' up the ladder I suppose!

Still a "light commander"?

Better chance we may see you there, as my brother & family are in Alexandria, and daughter/hubby are outside of Asheville NC with 1st grandkid due in August. So we may be back east a bit more this year, but not sure if we'll be up there.

Son is in Afghanistan now, along with one nephew - so he's not up at Ft Drum NY until Oct.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
///////

Thanks everybody--I'll definitely be going to the local car functions. Tom--I'm a full CDR now, but that's probably as far as I'll be going. aktion035.gif I'll be renting a place in Alexandria so hopefully I'll run into you. Also, I own a house right outside of Asheville (in Hendersonville). Beautiful country down there. I just got back online after having power off in Newport and freezing for awhile.
Cupomeat
Welcome to the area!

I relocated down here about 1 yr ago from the NYC area but due to my garage situation, my 914 hasn't yet moved with us. Maybe this summer.

Wash that puppy well, that liquid salt really gets into things, and I've been hearing that they are tracing it to electrical issues as well, as it dusts up easier than the old rock salt they used to use.

Spoke
QUOTE(bembry @ Feb 8 2013, 03:37 PM) *

Aside from leaving in a snowstorm, a nasty pushrod tube leak, an even bigger exhaust leak, and some unlocated gasoline fumes, no drama. 414 miles total.

Successful trip! Now take it to ScottyB to fix those issues.
Tom_T
In addition to SUNA914 at Quantico with whichever 914 Chris ends up fixing & driving of his -

....keep an eye out for this one - my buddy Jerry formerly from SoCal, who's the OO of this 71 914/4 who now lives in Leesburg & works in Tysons corner area....

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

...those original CA plates will be off AFAIK, don't know what now....still original Bahia Red paint tho!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.