Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How many Non-OEM type Engine conversions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
SirAndy
How many Non-Porsche Engine conversions, are represented on 914world.com?

add me to the list ...

my engine says "VW" on it ...
biggrin.gif Andy
skline
Hey Felix, add another conversion to the list. His name is Joel, his username here is A400Hurdler. He has a black 73 with a 3800 Buick with the buick FI installed in his car. He was at the BBQ. He lives right around the corner from me.
neo914-6
QUOTE (SirAndy @ May 23 2005, 09:22 AM)
How many Non-Porsche Engine conversions, are represented on 914world.com?

add me to the list ...

my engine says "VW" on it ...
biggrin.gif Andy

Andy,

Wrote this after Rick questioned why he was on the list. I want to highlight the conversions that don't make sense...to Porschephiles or what can run with real porsches at the the track.. laugh.gif I'm gonna ask Sean to change the topic heading...
I should clarify "conversions the 914 was not originally designed to accept" (besides enlarging the bores i.e. 3.6 sixes or 4 to 6) usually involving  and  or  
Nickm1
Add me to the list, I have a chevy 305 in mine.

paroxysm
I'm building a G-60 lyshom 914 out of my wrecked corrado, should have it running by the end of summer.
It made 202 hp at the wheels in the corrado, hope for a little more in the teener.
neo914-6
QUOTE (paroxysm @ May 23 2005, 11:30 AM)
I'm building a G-60 lyshom 914 out of my wrecked corrado, should have it running by the end of summer.
It made 202 hp at the wheels in the corrado, hope for a little more in the teener.

Sweet, another "pioneer" conversion. smilie_pokal.gif What tranny are you running? I plan to have my Audi 2.7tt running by end of summer too.
paroxysm
i bought the rabbit conversion from kennedy engineering, because its the same bolt pattern as the G60, so i can stick with the 901 tranny. I 'm also combining the renegade hybrids v8 kit to complete the swap. I was originally building a v8, but now that i have an availible engine that will make the same power when i start tuning it some.
neo914-6
WOWHOOOOO! We hit the 100 Mark! SEE FIRST PAGE 72% V8's and 28% everything else...

party.gif rocking nana.gif clap.gif beerchug.gif smilie_pokal.gif
neo914-6
Suby list is growing, Renegade kits are now available...
neo914-6
I'm adding people with Porsche engines with non-OEM (to model) transmissions as there is some creative work involved...

Tim O = Renault
abc914 = Boxster S
? = Audi automatic

You guys with Modern 6's want to be added to this list? I recall a thread was started.
Dr. Roger
Felix,

I'm also very curious about people who've adapted non-914 transaxles to any engine.

Pantera, 930, Audi, Scooby-ru transaxles...

What do U think? dry.gif wink.gif
neo914-6
QUOTE (rogergrubb @ Oct 2 2005, 01:49 PM)
Felix,

I'm also very curious about people who've adapted non-914 transaxles to any engine.

Pantera, 930, Audi, Scooby-ru transaxles...

What do U think?  <_<  ;)

I just updated the list to include unique transaxles...

930 and ZF are already included on the list for whoever has them (that I know about). These are usually the high hp V8 conversions.

Don't have much info if any on the G50, Audi, Suby, or Renault yet. One can be your next project. wink.gif
neo914-6
126 now, a big increase in Suby conversions... driving.gif
wbergtho
You can add my LS6 powered 500HP 74' 914 to the list.
wbergtho
One more pic?
neo914-6
Correction, 127
Nice car Bill! smilie_pokal.gif
EagleGT
QUOTE (neo914-6 @ Nov 14 2004, 08:48 AM)
Cool. And I'm even number one on the list!

914GT, No particular order, I just remember you first when I started hammering out the list.

But not the non Porsche type.

Rick,
You and Jason are exceptions to the title of this post. smilie_pokal.gif It originally started as a V8 conversion list, then I wanted to include all the other interesting conversions.

KEEP THEM COMING! WHO HAS A 215 V8, ROTARY, OR THE LEXUS V8???

In answer to one of your older posts, my Eagle GT has a rotary (not running right now) in it.
neo914-6
Thanks Clay, I'll change it to the V8 when you get there...

How about using the Maserati bi-turbo keeping it Italian? There was one on eBay recently.

Non-V8 conversions are catching up! smilie_pokal.gif
nsyr
You can add mine now that I got it going.
72 914 with subaru 2 liter turbo and subaru 2wd transmission. originally twin sequential converted to single. Powered by MS II v3. I'll add pics later.
d914
working a suby 2.0 liter turbo and using the suby transmission...
JPB
Ahh! You all are going the wrong way! Kohler VTwin 22HP. Put that in you borito and bite it! drunk.gif
914-8
Brian, So. Cal., '74 914 with 350 SBC, 915 tran, factory steel GT flares, etc.
neo914-6
biggrin.gif Of the 144, see first post:

86 - GM V8's
23 - Subaru's
10 - GM V6's
4- Ford V6's
4- Rotaries
3 - Electrics
2 - Audi V6's
2- Boxster 6's
1- Lexus V8
1- 928 V8
1 - Ford V8
1- Corvair 6
1 - Audi 4
1 - Nissan V6
and a Partridge in a pear tree... laugh.gif

Had to delete some sad.gif but added lots more... clap56.gif
neo914-6
I spoke to (914vtec 3.2) Russel in AZ who abandoned his V8 conversion (see kit for sale) to build a Honda vtec powered 914 for track and street. smilie_pokal.gif There is a local Honda tuner that already has the electronics sorted for Honda-Honda swaps so they just need to mount the engine. Watch for pics and a kit soon...

Chris Julian had a new motor built with cross-over headers and just installed it. He said it sounds like a supercar, let's hope for audio or video.

Still looking for the new owner of Renegade's flagship "Peal" here in the Bay Area. I'm told he also has a 215 V8 conversion. We'll see if he'll join and post here...

Progress on my projects are in my "resurrection" and "neo914-6" threads rolleyes.gif
bernbomb914
what is known about the Lexas v8? That could be kick ass as that is the motor of choice for some of the faster Daytona Class Racers.

Bernie
jd74914
IIRC, Brett W is working on putting a Lexus v8 in his tubeframe car cool.gif
neo914-6
Updates on first page:

V8 Additions: clap56.gif
TX Rob "RobPattillo"
AL John "John G"
CA Larry "wgfp"
IL Brad "914ltd"

Changes:
CA Ryan “notyers” sold his 73 GM 3.8L V6 conversion to AL Stacie "Mamacita”. Her husband "John G" bought it for her anniversary

Removal:
"914GT" Guy's Desert Hybrid co-build was sold, new owner "unknown". We miss Guy as he's become inactive...

Let me know if I missed anyone smile.gif
FriarJohn
QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Nov 13 2004, 08:03 PM) *

Club iD, Name State Year
GM engines:
9. FriarJohn, John MT 73 V8

Um, I haven't been on here (and by 'here' I mean 914club.com) in months, maybe years. I never did build my car so you can take me off the list.
neo914-6
JimKelly asked for a correction so I noticed the list needs alot of updating. I will add Jim's SHO V6 and recent Suby conversions. Let me know if you want to be included, or not...

Master list on first page
okieflyr
QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Apr 10 2009, 05:25 PM) *

JimKelly asked for a correction so I noticed the list needs alot of updating. I will add Jim's SHO V6 and recent Suby conversions. Let me know if you want to be included, or not...

Master list on first page

My update/correction would be:

142. okieflyr Kevin PA VW 1.8T I4/Passat trans

Thanks!
TC 914-8
Hey Don't forget me,

SBC 416hp, Rod simpson kit , '76 w/916 flairs,901 transaxle. I would feel comfortable driving it every day if it wasn't raining, and the 14 mpg or less...
RJMII
Felix;

feel free to include my 2.5 Mitsubishi v6 Turbo project. =o)

-Jim
rascobo
You can add My GM 4.3 installed in 92' biggrin.gif . Formally 13B's mad.gif (5 of 'em between 89'
and 92'), chair.gif expensive experiment. Originally 1.7 from 73' to 89'.
dlo914
Feel free to add VOX (James') and i's Subaru EJ22 conversion.
914junkie
I'll jump in...73 Renegade SBC 350 V8/901 Sheridan Body aktion035.gif
neo914-6
Wow, lot's of new entries, help me out and list: Club iD, Name, State, Year, & details

RJMII
RJMII, Jim, Wyoming, 76, 2.5l mitsubishi V6, w/turbo, Ford EDIS-6, MS-II
Bill D
Per your request

Bill D
ID# 6558
North Carolina
73 2.0
VW 1.9TD

Click to view attachment
3d914
Felix,

You can add my 74 914 w/ Ford SHO 3.2L V6 (Longitudinal). Here's a pic of the engine so far.

IPB Image

Thanks,
neo914-6
Even with a few deletions, there are 36 more conversions beerchug.gif

Just want to clarify, this list is for both completed and works in progress such as mine. A restoration itself can take years to complete and for the most part we have the added challenge of research and development.

I reviewed the list and scoured the forum to add as many conversions I could find in the past 3 years since the last update. Wow, the Suby conversions have doubled from 20s to 40s. Added a some V8’s, couple of 215 V8’s, an audi V8, as well as a economy minded VW 1.9L diesel
  • Gone but not forgotten: Howard’s V8 “Moby Dick”, Ed Ducey Black V8. Lapuwali’s V8 lives on thanks to Patrick “pffft”.
  • People who sold their cars: Bill “wbertho”LS6 500HP Sheridan, Chris Julian 500HP AIR body, Bills 75 JLO 350 Renegade - formerly nine14cats and am not sure if the new owners are on this club
  • “kmarkeg” in Norway began an Audi S4 conversion like mine but hit a legal wall so he changed direction to a flat 6
budman5201
I do have a subaru ej25 conversion but its NOT a Renegade kit, its my own. Direct bolt in, no modifications to the chassis in the rear.
Wes V
Just a comment;

I really like what Sonu (914_1.8t) is building, but does it still qualify as a 914?
This is a tube chassis car into which he is installing an Audi V6.

At some point, it's no-longer a 914, but a dedicated race car.

It's just a comment.

Wes
charliew
Just like most other hot rods they all started somewhere and you gotta call them something. Luckily on the 914 some 911 stuff fits easily so it still has some porsche genes. Mine will probably even have alfa romeo parts including a adj. proportional valve.
neo914-6
QUOTE(Wes V @ Apr 12 2009, 08:31 AM) *

Just a comment;

I really like what Sonu (914_1.8t) is building, but does it still qualify as a 914?
This is a tube chassis car into which he is installing an Audi V6.

At some point, it's no-longer a 914, but a dedicated race car.

It's just a comment.

Wes

Wes,

There are actually two other running tube framed 914's, Sonu hasn't completed his and i know he was not building a track dedicated car. I included 914's that still resemble a 914 with it's original powerplant changed to what is not close to what the factory installed 4 or 6. The later and larger flat sixes are in another list. Most if not all of these conversions had to convert to water cooling as well. The list reveals the number of people being creative in a variety of ways and the flexibility of the platform.
computers4kids
Who else?
Rotary'14
wow! 1 year ago to the day. interesting bump
Zaney
I'll add mine.

1974 914 WA Subaru 2.5L Suby 5 Speed RS
Frost
lol wow look at that list, and to think there are still normal 914's out there.
Hydra.
I never got around to completing that conversion and even ended up scrapping the car, so please take me off the list smile.gif
Mike Bellis
I guess my series of conversions should be on this list... smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.