Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How many Non-OEM type Engine conversions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mittelmotor
Please add mine:

mittelmotor Doug CA 74 LS1 V8 w/ fuel injection
DBCooper
Add mine to the "non-OEM" transaxle list, now has a Subaru WRX 5 speed with Quaife behind the engine. Not a project, runs great.
spaceshuttle
I have 3.
1976 with a 350 901 Red
1970 with a 450 HP 4.3 V6 930 White
1974 with a 383 901 Blue
904svo
Add me to the list Porsche 904 kit car with 2007 Subaru WRX engine installed.

Click to view attachment
effutuo101
yep. add me as well.
73 914 with 2.5L 16V suby turbo motor and transaxle.
Hope to be on the road this year....maybe xmas.
r_towle
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Sep 23 2012, 11:10 PM) *

Add mine to the "non-OEM" transaxle list, now has a Subaru WRX 5 speed with Quaife behind the engine. Not a project, runs great.

had to read that a few times.

I wonder if anyone has just gone and replaced the transmission with the subaru transmission...onto a stock type 4 motor...or a hopped up type 4 motor.

rich
DBCooper
Sorry Rich, I should have said "now has a WRX transaxle behind the WRX engine." It was done in two steps, first the WRX engine on a 901. Engine was great, the 901 sucked, so a couple of years later the second step was replacing the 901 with the WRX transaxle. All good now.

As to a T4 on a Subaru transaxle... if you're doing all that work to modernize things why would you stop with just the transmission? Are you that impressed with the T4 engine? Why?
r_towle
QUOTE(DBCooper @ May 13 2013, 07:39 PM) *

Sorry Rich, I should have said "now has a WRX transaxle behind the WRX engine." It was done in two steps, first the WRX engine on a 901. Engine was great, the 901 sucked, so a couple of years later the second step was replacing the 901 with the WRX transaxle. All good now.

As to a T4 on a Subaru transaxle... if you're doing all that work to modernize things why would you stop with just the transmission? Are you that impressed with the T4 engine? Why?

Not in need of a rocketship for a 914, but more modern shifting would be really nice.

I kinda like the 150hp range for the chassis, and I was just wondering if anyone has bothered figuring out how to use the subaru transaxle on a type 4 motor...

Then I would not need water, which I would not like.

rich
DBCooper
Understood. I wander through most of those circles and I've never seen mention of that anywhere, so would guess it hasn't been done.

My transmission has a cable shift, which as far as I'm concerned is the best thing since integrated circuits. If you want an interesting project I'd wager you could improve a 901's shifting substantially with a well-done cable shift. At least to the level of 911 shifting. That's not entirely modern, which would be too much to ask of old techology, but better than the 914's stock linkage.
RonW
not a 914 but on 914world.com

please add mine
'68 912 w/ 2005 JDM STi currently with 901 but 2010 WRX trans with reverse ring pinion and factory LSD on the bench awaiting install
europrodan
Hello I am new to the Forum and new to the 914 world. I looked around and it appears that you are the foremost authority on swaps, so congrats on that...
I've recently acquired a 74 that appears to have a Chevrolet V6 installed. I'm no stranger to the European car world but this one Escapes Me.. It appears to be something from the early 80s. Could you help me identify what this is or if there's any history on the site related to this car much thanks in advance
Andyrew
Post a new thread with as many pictures of the engine, adapter plate, radiator setup, and car in general and we should be able to figure it out. Not many people were doing conversions n the 80s
A&P Mech
1974 with a Subaru 3.0L six turning a Subaru 5MT transmission. driving.gif
Gmanscott55
Add me please-

Gmanscott55 - 2.0 Subaru WRX EJ 205 engine with IHI VF 23 Turbo charger
europrodan
hello everyone. Looking for some information/history on this one but i can only assume its a home brew from the early 80's. Anyone familiar with GM v6 engines of this era? Is anyone familiar with this car? Gear box is original or if not original was replaced with a matching unit. Radiator/fan set up appears to be more recent as it has junk yard. markings from a early 90's nissan. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
europrodan
a few more if this helps...Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Andyrew
Can you take a picture of the paint code on the drivers door jamb? Because it looks like an LE to me, which would be a shame if they did a conversion on..

Pics of the radiator setup would confirm if its home brewed. I dont see any kit components there which means most likely a homemade kit. Albeit done well for the timeframe.

Also it looks like they have a heater core in the engine bay? I've been considering that...
Jonathan Livesay
You can add mine. Subaru 2.5 turbo with 901 side shifter in a 71 914.
europrodan
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 31 2017, 08:11 AM) *

Can you take a picture of the paint code on the drivers door jamb? Because it looks like an LE to me, which would be a shame if they did a conversion on..

Pics of the radiator setup would confirm if its home brewed. I dont see any kit components there which means most likely a homemade kit. Albeit done well for the timeframe.

Also it looks like they have a heater core in the engine bay? I've been considering that...

There is in fact a heater core installed/fabed/rigged up. i have since bypassed it, as a rat has been living in the car for many years when i acquired it. its low on my priority list at the moment though.

in the "notes" i have found when acquiring the car, the heater core is listed as a 1980 camero unit.

The car is in-fact an LE car.(L041)

The previous owner purchased the car late 90's early 2k with the swap long since completed. As the story goes from him, the previous owner had an failed engine/engine fire that was, at the time, too costly to fix. I have no way of verifying this intel so that portion of the history is unknown.

would love to find a historian that could shed some light on this one. Digging through old receipts and paperwork as i have a stack of it.
Mueller
QUOTE(europrodan @ May 31 2017, 09:51 AM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 31 2017, 08:11 AM) *

There is in fact a heater core installed/fabed/rigged up. i have since bypassed it, as a rat has been living in the car for many years when i acquired it. its low on my priority list at the moment though.

in the "notes" i have found when acquiring the car, the heater core is listed as a 1980 camero unit.

The car is in-fact an LE car.(L041)

The previous owner purchased the car late 90's early 2k with the swap long since completed. As the story goes from him, the previous owner had an failed engine/engine fire that was, at the time, too costly to fix. I have no way of verifying this intel so that portion of the history is unknown.

would love to find a historian that could shed some light on this one. Digging through old receipts and paperwork as i have a stack of it.

Still a good looking car and if it runs and drives then enjoy it. It wouldn't be that difficult to convert it back to a 2.0 air cooled motor. I'd run it as is and then slowly acquire the parts or if you don't care just drive it.
europrodan
my current plans are to just make it safe and drive-able. The good news is that it runs. I have no plans for track use or restoration as i do not have time nor $$ for either. My long term plans include moving on from the carb'd V6 in favor of something fuel injected. I dont care much for the stink of gas and i have no nostalgia for carburetors. Only time will tell.
BIGKAT_83
The car is a real LE. It was around Atlanta about 15 years ago and sold to Bill ???? in Orangeburg SC IIRC.

europrodan
thats good news, someone that has seen or heard of this car before
1stworks
1stworks narrow body 5.3l LS boxster S 6 speed
Steve
Should of done a poll. Curious on the quantities?
Rotary
Subaru
V8
V6
Flat six 3.0
Flat six under 3.0
Flat six 3.2
Flat six 3.6
Big 4 2.4 and over
Big 4 under 2.4
whitetwinturbo

UPDATE: I now have item #17 as seen on the "list".... beer.gif

17. MikeP, Mike CA V8 475hp Brodix, 930 trans, Fiske
914forme
Mine has been switched from the 1.8L Turbo to a 3.3L with shades.gif

But it is not done yet.
Mike1981
Please add me to the V8 list

1984 SBC Goodyear V8
Performer Intake manifold
Aluminum headers
Edelbrock 600 4 Barrel Carb
Magnaflo resonators
Cold air intake
901 side shift transaxle

https://scontent.fdet1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1...amp;oe=5A6A9FE5
DaveO90s4
And mine can be added too.

1974 1.8 now with 2.7L reverse rotation Corvair engine. Auto electricians are here as I speak and hope to start it up in an hour or so

Dave O
Brisbane
Australia
76-914
QUOTE(A&P Mech @ May 30 2017, 05:26 PM) *

1974 with a Subaru 3.0L six turning a Subaru 5MT transmission. driving.gif

Same here but a 73 w/ a 3.0 Subaru 6 & a 70 w/327 & a 901 trans
Larmo63
<-------1973 914S 2.0 converted to a 2.4S 911 engine.

"914S"

See what I did there?
abnrdo
Add mine

Subaru EZ30D and Subaru 5 Speed.

Currently Kansas
Justinp71
Wow that is a cool list, never seen that before.
PatrickB
Just in the process of putting a VW AAZ diesel in. Car has been changed so much over the years before I got it it will never be a restore to stock car. Once had a 360 dodge in it...
KEP adaptor will bolt engine to the 901 trans this week. Next hurdle is front engine mount. I plan on using the stock crossbar and working from it. I know there's been a 1.8t done, and I've seen pictures of an unfinished diesel swap... Have also seen video of a 16 valve engine in one. Anyone got good pictures of a mount for a 4 cyl water cooled vw to look at? Just looking for ideas.. Will be putting everything in the car this week to get a better look at what my options are. Considering using the ear on the back (right side) of the engine off a mark 2 jetta, or working from bolt holes on the front. There's 2 big cast ears with holes through them at the front of the engine on either side of the oil pan... not sure if they were designed to be mounting points for the engine in a different application.
Open for suggestions!
914pipe
Add Mine:

74 with Suby 1994 EG33/Stock ECU and WRX 2006 Tranny, Survived Hurricane Maria and being shipped from Puerto Rico to NC

Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(Steve @ Jun 1 2017, 10:34 AM) *

Should of done a poll. Curious on the quantities?
Rotary
Subaru
V8
V6
Flat six 3.0
Flat six under 3.0
Flat six 3.2
Flat six 3.6
Big 4 2.4 and over
Big 4 under 2.4

Add in Honda engine, Audi 1.8, electric and clay’s 4.0
And my two favorites, the factory flat 8’s.
RickS
3.0 out of an SC, now with Webbers.

Click to view attachment
DickSteinkamp
Under construction driver. 1976 with a 5 liter Chevy.

IPB Image

IPB Image
mgp4591
QUOTE(914pipe @ Jul 2 2018, 08:17 PM) *

Add Mine:

74 with Suby 1994 EG33/Stock ECU and WRX 2006 Tranny, Survived Hurricane Maria and being shipped from Puerto Rico to NC

Click to view attachment

Loved the video of your midnight run with the wife - the car sounds great! And glad you and the car survived the hurricane which is no small feat in itself. beerchug.gif
tazz9924
You can add me to the list: WA 70 914 with Subaru ej205 and suby 5mt transaxle
motorvated
I have a full conversion set-up for a 215 ci Buick V8 that I planned on putting in my '72 Chalon Vintage Racecar in place of the 1.8 that's in there now, but the Vintage guys won't let me race it with the Buick. Does that count?Click to view attachment
DaveO90s4
Add mine too please. 2.8L 6-cyl air cooled Chev Corvair.

Thanks
914GT
It doesn’t look like the list has been updated since 2009.
PatrickB
QUOTE(motorvated @ Jul 3 2018, 08:11 PM) *

I have a full conversion set-up for a 215 ci Buick V8 that I planned on putting in my '72 Chalon Vintage Racecar in place of the 1.8 that's in there now, but the Vintage guys won't let me race it with the Buick. Does that count?Click to view attachment

Nice!
914pipe
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jul 2 2018, 11:40 PM) *

QUOTE(914pipe @ Jul 2 2018, 08:17 PM) *

Add Mine:

Click to view attachment

Loved the video of your midnight run with the wife - the car sounds great! And glad you and the car survived the hurricane which is no small feat in itself. beerchug.gif

Thanks, we are doing a lot better!!!
Maltese Falcon
For PatrickB...carburetor will work mo better now biggrin.gif Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
3.2L Horizontal-fan / biturbo flat 6Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
V8 5.0L Cayenne biturboClick to view attachment
72914wrx
Subie ejt 2.0 so much fun 230 h.p tuned!
HalfMoon
1973 sbc w/ Sheridan wide-body and a Dr. Evil trans-axle (blocked 1st)
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.