Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How many Non-OEM type Engine conversions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
MarkG
I've been wondering if I could cram a 308 series Ferrari engine in mine.......
dwillouby
You can add mine to the list. dwillouby KY 914 355V8.
David
turbo914v8
Gentlemen,

If the 914 v8 is done correctly, I see no reason why it can not be a daily driven car. I am reading a lot of comments that suggest people are still afraid to drive the 914 v8 as a daily driver. We have a large enough community with many examples of well done 914 v8's, I am sure that there must be a few out there that drive their car's daily. Feel free to chime in at any time.

Regards,

Turbo Paul.
DougC
Mine's got some ways to go yet but will have SBC power soon.

Doug C
Mueller
can you add?

914club member: 914turboford,
engine: Ford 2.3 turbo EFI (mounted sideways)
aircooledboy
QUOTE(turbo914v8 @ Nov 15 2004, 01:36 PM)
If the 914 v8 is done correctly, I see no reason why it can not be a daily driven car. I am reading a lot of comments that suggest people are still afraid to drive the 914 v8 as a daily driver. We have a large enough community with many examples of well done 914 v8's, I am sure that there must be a few out there that drive their car's daily. Feel free to chime in at any time.

I drive mine every day that it is not raining when I leave the house. I will continue to do so until the first salt hits the roads, especially since I just plumbed in my heat last week.
Root_Werks
Oh, I don't think there is any question that a basic, well done sbc will last a ton of miles in just about any car. Plus, you can pick up a long block from just about any FLAPS! laugh.gif

I would think any question would be in the install. Say the cooling system. Did someone really hack up the 914 to install the hoses and rad? Something along those lines.

So aircooledboy (contradiction in terms biggrin.gif ), do you use the stock 901 gear set?
aircooledboy
Only until I take it to Brad Mayuer this hibernation season. Then it will be taller-gears-o-rama boldblue.gif It is fine for now as is, but I will enjoy highway driving much more after the gear swap.

BTW, only ONE of my teeners is a waterpumper. I will always be air cooled at heart. After all, I am just like a TIV powered 914 (slow, out-dated, a little rusty, with loud putt putt noises coming from the back end, but very quick in tight spaces and damn good fun on a nice day beer3.gif smoke.gif laugh.gif w00t.gif )
neo914-6
Another issue that motivated the purchase was price. . . and in the back of my mind, there was the fact that this car already had on it an ideal suspension for V8.

Chung,
I wish I had the cash at hand to buy that car for my Neo914. Even if I did, my wife won't let me bring it home. sad.gif
First of, let me just say that is a real honor to be on the list and to be part of such a great group of interesting people.

Paul,
Where the hell are the pics of your car.? Check out "Dinner and Chris Julians" thread. He said he had a pic but was sworn not to show it. Why are you holding out? confused24.gif

All newbies,
Thanks for chiming in with your projects. Post some pics so I know you're for real! laugh.gif Just kidding, there are ALOT of projects in the works. We are tackling what typically takes millions of dollars, 100's of engineers, and years to accomplish. So the result are rarely "factory" but we do our best...
Felix
Rider914
I have a '72 914 SBC that was a daily driver for 5 years, now it is a garage queen!!! I got tired of parking in that far corner spot, no radio or AC. One day some guy got out of his car and mooned me at a traffic light, it attracts too much attention. Damn the price of fame. . .
Mueller
mooned me at a traffic light

sounds like something Zois would do biggrin.gif .....did he have pink bunny ears??? wacko.gif
boxstr
Felix update me to a 1975 914 V8 305, destroked 327, perfect torque band for the stock gearing.
This car also has the Holley Projection Fuel Injection system..

Dan Root call me if you ever get down to PDX, I'll take you for spin in the V8.
CCLINFOQM
neo914-6
53 AND COUNTING! party.gif
List your name and a more details...It's 2AM cuz I had to search for your info! Maybe that and the Coke... laugh.gif
Felix
Mueller
QUOTE(Jaiderenegadesimpson V8 914 @ Nov 16 2004, 02:59 AM)
53 AND COUNTING! party.gif
List your name and a more details...It's 2AM cuz I had to search for your info! Maybe that and the Coke... laugh.gif
Felix

no soda...too much coffee tonight at work...no idea when I'm going to fall asleep headbang.gif
SteveSr
Add me to the list..........SteveSr In. 71 914/GM 3.1ltr V6.....in progress

SteveSr
turbo914v8

Paul,
Where the hell are the pics of your car.? Check out "Dinner and Chris Julians" thread.  He said he had a pic but was sworn not to show it.  Why are you holding out? confused24.gif .

Sorry Felix and others waiting for pics of my monster. After the virus took out my HD, it’s a long and hard process scanning all those pictures again, not too mention that my scanner has a mind of its own. Today it decides to work for about 10 min, and then changes its mind and stops working. At the same time I am putting together my web site to showcase my little monster. There are still bugs that I have to work out with my monster, work is starting to get crazy, the wife wants me to spend more time with her and my son and, and, and, and. OK no more feeling sorry for my self. I am sure that you have all been there. You will get pictures, and soon. Just like I will finish the 914 soon. LOL.

Regards,

Turbo Paul.
Joe Bob
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 15 2004, 06:38 PM)
mooned me at a traffic light

sounds like something Zois would do biggrin.gif .....did he have pink bunny ears??? wacko.gif

Wrong coast....musta been Miles.

Wyld Thang is a 283 punched out to a 302, aluminum heads, Edelbrock intake, Borla exhaust....soon to get a REDBEARD trans with LSD and H gear for fifth.....
neo914-6
There are still bugs that I have to work out with my monster, work is starting to get crazy, the wife wants me to spend more time with her and my son and, and, and, and

Been there... still there! laugh.gif
Felix
Kyan
You should add me to the list too. I got 73 914 with Fast Burn ZZ4+ engine (SBC 350). Engine/tranny installation done; now I need to work on body and paint.

Kyan.
73 914 V8
72 914 Racer
73 914 Stocker
And many others….
Root_Werks
QUOTE(boxstr @ Nov 15 2004, 07:39 PM)
Felix update me to a 1975 914 V8 305, destroked 327, perfect torque band for the stock gearing.
This car also has the Holley Projection Fuel Injection system..

Dan Root call me if you ever get down to PDX, I'll take you for spin in the V8.
CCLINFOQM

smilie_pokal.gif boldblue.gif Oh heck yeah! I will have to get down your way some day soon.
radivad
Add me to the list as a 1971 w/ GM 305 V8 in progress. Right now I am trying to find a radiator and fans or the money to buy the Renegade setup and should be ordering the rest of the conversion parts around Christmas time. I am also considering megasquirting while I am at it or shortly thereafter.

I haven't driven her since May and really want to get back on the road.
rich brennick
hide.gif Heck, I can even ad something to this thread! This car even won a trophy at the MWC!
1970 914 283 Chevrolet
Rich
aircooledboy
CAREFUL RICH!!!!!!!!!! ohmy.gif Some one might see you w00t.gif

Fix that ear yet ol' boy? monkeydance.gif
ewdysar
Throw me on the list as well. I just got it delivered last night, going easy for now to break in the engine.

75 914 2.0 Renegaded with SBC 327

Converted with a DZ302 13 years ago, never finished. The engine did not survive the storage headbang.gif , reconverted from scratch this year

It good to be back in a teener. biggrin.gif
neo914-6
WHO WILL BE 60TH?

Kyan,
Still waiting on your tranny?

edwsyar,
Welcome! I used to live in Glendale. Post pics of your car.

Rich,
Post your trophy winner! smilie_pokal.gif Is yours green?

ravidad,
LOTS of conversions are in progress. You just need a 914, and engine, and the WILL. boldblue.gif

Felix
Howard
Just sold the cage out of suzi to a local guy with a Buick conversion. He admitted to being a lurker, and is too shy to join. I respect his privacy, but does anyone know Matt B, South Bay, works for Raytheon. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Showed me a pic. PO made V6 valve covers that say PORSCHE smilie_pokal.gif. Wish I had copied pic.
Mar7ck
I am slowly working on my 914 SpeedsterME

Mar7ck
Mar7ck
another pic
Mar7ck
another pic
Mar7ck
my bad!!!
Mar7ck
lets see
Mar7ck
again
neo914-6
Mark,
YOU ARE THE 60TH!
Sweet! What's it need to run? confused24.gif
Felix
hargray2
Count me in too. Puttin' in a SBC. Long time away from completion though.
neo914-6
Puttin' in a SBC

Daniel,
Need some details: year 914, engine size like 427 SBC, and unique mods like twin turbo, supercharger, NOS, you know the typical stuff... biggrin.gif
Felix
hargray2
It's a '71. 350 Chevy. That's about all I got right now. It's VERY far from completion.
ajracer
Count me in with a 1974 and modern Chevy LT1, still in progress but hopefully
on the road next summer after the winter engine transplant. Once I sort out
the LT1 and some modifications I will move along to setting up the 915 tranny
and shifting mechanism !

Allan
Toronto, Canada
neo914-6
66, see 1st page smilie_pokal.gif
SteveSr
Would n't it be cool to get all those convertions in one place!!!!!!! smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif

SteveSr
neo914-6
I've organized some in the SF Bay Area and we got ~12 various Porsches together - see link 2. I may organize another next summer. A few show up to 914 breakfast's but availability is rarely in sync and in the tradition of 914's, running condition is sporadic. laugh.gif
Felix
bondo
Felix: You're selling your car?!?! What's this neo914? Tell us the story!

To keep this on topic, here's my update:

I was converting my 73 1.7 salvage title, but decided I should start with something better, so I bought a 73 2.0 roller with sway bars. I'm working on the 5 lug conversion and building up a 901 with H gear. I'm also in the process of de-rusting and fixing a couple of minor rust holes. The LT1 is still hanging from the engine hoist. Right now garage clutter is my biggest enemy. As more and more things come off the car, I'm starting to have trouble finding a place to put the stuff.
Mueller
Felix...you can delete my information since I will not be completing the swap...going with a Raby Type IV motor smile.gif

There is a new one to add:

heck914, Ford 3.8 V6 Supercharged

more info and a couple pictures here:

Supercharged V6 conversion
neo914-6
Felix...you can delete my information since I will not be completing the swap

Ok, I'll only delete your name and keep a place holder for the new owner of your VR6 drivetrain.
You REALIZE in a couple of months you will start your next conversion! laugh.gif

What's this neo914? Tell us the story!

I will tell you but then I'll have to CILL you like I did my lanload. laugh.gif In the next couple of months I will reveal more. It's all in the works, plus I will have to change my club ID! ohmy.gif
Felix
neo914-6
smilie_pokal.gif 82 and still counting...

lost a few but gained more!
cobra914
Hey hey,

My six cylinder conversion I want to do in my '74 porsche is an 3.0L V6 SHO motor. I am in the process of looking for a motor. The SHO motor is a high revving machine built by yamaha for the taurus vehicles; I mean were talking over 7500rpm stock, that's with AC and power steering. I will of course only be running a water pump as a major component. So yep, I hope it works out, I'll keep ya posted there. agree.gif
dan10101
Collin,
That's a sweet engine. We look forward to a thread with pictures and arrows and a paragraph on each one..
drive-ability
boldblue.gif
I have a project going on here, 70, 914, 350 V8 Edelbrock aluminum heads & F/I system, 930 transmission, 930 suspension & brakes, koni adjustable shocks with lowering springs. Waiting for it to arrive via transport Co. Irvine, Ca. headbang.gif

V8, 914 Picture

V8 Picture

V-8
neo914-6
John,

I already added you to the list, see first page. smilie_pokal.gif Other than engine type they are not in any order.
soloracer
Colin,

I considered an SHO V6 for my conversion. However I believed it to be too long to fit in the 914 engine bay without some major work. If I recall correctly even though it's a V6 it's longer than a V8. I found a link on the web of a cobra replicar with an SHO V6 in it and it was sweeeet. The other reason I had for not choosing the engine was a lack of aftermarket for it. So if you are looking to eventually push up the power you will find there is very little support out there to help you.

All said I wish you the best of luck and keep us posted on your progress. There has got to be someone who can do it and I hope it's you.

Erik

P.S. Where in Alberta are you? I'm in Calgary.
JB 914
72 w/ a SBC 350. Going to transplant it with a 327 some time soon biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.