Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Going to the "Pinewood Derby" races tomorrow!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TJB/914
Hi All,

It's that time again for our grandkids "Pinewood Derby" races tomorrow, Staturday!!
Our whole family will be cheering them on. The two boys 11 & 8 were top eliminators last year and they want to repeat. w00t.gif Megan the 5-year old wants to beat her brother's. Guess which one is her's. cheer.gif wub.gif

The cars are ready with lots of bloody fingers, sweat & good times to build. We tried to let them do everything themselves, but you know we helped a lot. sunglasses.gif There will be over 200 parents cheering their kids to victory and it will be noisy. Wish us the best. smilie_pokal.gif

Tom
timothy_nd28
cool looking car, if you wanna win slightly elevate one of the rear wheels so that the car rolls on only 3 wheels
7TPorsh
also oil the axles and wax the bodies...
Tom_T
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Feb 8 2013, 03:26 PM) *

Guess which one is her's. cheer.gif wub.gif

The black one? biggrin.gif

Good luck & have fun Tom! beerchug.gif

We just found out last week that our daughter/hubby are expecting our 1st GK in August. piratenanner.gif ...my wife is happy too! cheer.gif
TJB/914
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Feb 8 2013, 06:29 PM) *

cool looking car, if you wanna win slightly elevate one of the rear wheels so that the car rolls on only 3 wheels

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Feb 8 2013, 06:30 PM) *

also oil the axles and wax the bodies...

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 8 2013, 06:32 PM) *

QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Feb 8 2013, 03:26 PM) *

Guess which one is her's. cheer.gif wub.gif

The black one? biggrin.gif

Good luck & have fun Tom! beerchug.gif

We just found out last week that our daughter/hubby are expecting our 1st GK in August. piratenanner.gif ...my wife is happy too! cheer.gif

Hey guys,
All those cheat things have been done. We have a special fixture to install the wheels so they roll on 3. A special scale for weight in the right places & on & on. We are ready. popcorn[1].gif
Tom-T: Congratulations, GK's are the best thing in adult life. pray.gif

T
wndsrfr
We just finished our PWD....check out Gabe's Red Bull F1 motif!
Click to view attachment
Did a lot of the tricks....weight back, polished & graphited, right front off the ground--still got beat by sons of guys from NASA Langley--just out of the podium, but close! Event is Heart Attack City every year--wouldn't miss it.
Eric_Shea
Good Luck Grandpa!!! biggrin.gif
mhuber45
Yep my boys have theirs in the morning
TJB/914
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

We did good, all three took trophy's and the two boys took overall eliminator 1st. & 3rd. Big day for the grandkids. I felt sorry for some of the little ones who were sad when their car didn't win. They gave metals to everyone for paint, style, etc, but some one has to win the race. smilie_pokal.gif

Tom, Proud Grampa. pray.gif
wndsrfr
congrats to a wining race team!!!
Now on to the District event! Show em how it's done!
cheer.gif first.gif
TJB/914
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Feb 10 2013, 08:23 AM) *

congrats to a wining race team!!!
Now on to the District event! Show em how it's done!
cheer.gif first.gif

Thanks for the kudo's.
Our silver w/blue strips car was built for speed and not looks. My son-in-law did all the research and he says the body is 5/8" thick x weight in special places helps the car accelerate faster in mid range + lots of other tricks. If you go on the web there are tons of info. on pinewood derby car building. Josh's car was clocked @ 205.6 & fastest @ 205.9 smoking all others. Every run is posted on a viewing board. It's high tech computer controlled with #'s posted on a screen as they go through the traps. Lots of dedicated scout masters, good people & great family fun.

BTW: I forgot to post Megan's pink 3rd. place winner, she was proud, because she would not let any of us help her decorate it.

Tom
Spoke
Congrats!

What's with the blue wheels on the silver car?
tod914
Wtg Tom! You probally enjoyed the event more than your grandkids smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.