Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spring run of my 917 shifter knobs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
VaccaRabite
Enough people have asked me about these this spring that I have decided to do a run of 10-20 knobs.

Wanted to post up to see if there was much interest from the membership. I don't currently have any on hand, but will start making them Sunday.

$70 shipped for World members (USPS priority insured).

For details, etc see my thread in the member vendor section, or just PM me.
Thanks all
Zach
'73-914kid
Put me down for one Zach. Do you do just an oiledfinish, like a gunstock? I'm not a huge fan of the Glossy finish personally.
VaccaRabite
Sure. I can do a tung oil finish. Takes longer to make as you have to wait for the oil to dry between coats.
'73-914kid
Tung Oil would be great Zach
eric9144
I'm in too beerchug.gif
914outlaw
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Feb 9 2013, 10:08 AM) *

I'm in too beerchug.gif

I wood like one too.
Thanks,
Dave
VaccaRabite
Okay. I'll get enough wood and delrin for 20 knobs and start production again. Once those are gone I'm done until next year probably.

If you want a give away knob for your event in 2013 let me know this month. Want to make sure my community is supported.
Zach
914outlaw
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Feb 9 2013, 12:47 PM) *

Okay. I'll get enough wood and delrin for 20 knobs and start production again. Once those are gone I'm done until next year probably.

If you want a give away knob for your event in 2013 let me know this month. Want to make sure my community is supported.
Zach

I received mine. Great job Zach. Very nice. I can't wait to install it. I'll post a picture when I do.
VaccaRabite
Fantastic! I'm glad that you like it.

Zach
aircooledtechguy
Anyone who wants a really high quality shift knob that feels wonderful in your hand and looks spectacular, NEEDS one of Zach's 917 replica knobs. I've got one in my shop car and absolutely LOVE the look and feel. Mine is finished in about 20 layers of polished super glue (!) and still looks as stunning as the day it arrived after about 10K miles of use. Worth every penny at any price. beerchug.gif driving.gif
Kaduku
Any pics?
914Bryan
I'd like one too Zach.
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(Kaduku @ Mar 6 2013, 08:48 PM) *

Any pics?

Feast your eyes. . . (This is mounted on a 911 915 shifter)

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
VaccaRabite
There are pics in my member vendor thread:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=168820
and in my flickr feed:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vacca_rabite/...57629338035043/

That said....

This is the last weekend that I will be making them. I just got all the stuff I need to finish my eFI conversion for my car, and that is going to suspend knob creation until the car is running. I want to drive it in April.

So. If you want one, get in my que NOW. I may make another run in the summer, or may not as time and family allows.

Zach
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Feb 9 2013, 09:47 AM) *

Zach

What size delrin do you use? I have some natural white stock lying around if you could use it.
wndsnd
I would like one -

Don'r know if you saw my post on other thread.

John
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Mar 7 2013, 08:41 PM) *

I would like one -

Don'r know if you saw my post on other thread.

John

Got it and PM sent.
arg
I am in for one. Could I get it in the tung oil finish also?
Thanks
Tony G
oldschool
I got to tell you...I love the feel of my Shifter Knob..thanks ZachClick to view attachment
Kaduku
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Mar 7 2013, 09:42 AM) *

QUOTE(Kaduku @ Mar 6 2013, 08:48 PM) *

Any pics?

Feast your eyes. . . (This is mounted on a 911 915 shifter)

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

WOW, very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!
eric9144
I got mine in the mail last week, haven't had a chance to put it on...It's amazing, great feel and looks just as good!

Thank you Zach you are a true craftsman! beerchug.gif
VaccaRabite
My car is in the shop.
Work is (FINALLY) slowing down.
Several folks here have PMed me about making them a knob.
So I have decided to do a small run of 10-20 knobs during the month of May. $70 shipped for world members (USPS Priority, insured).

See my thread in Member Vendors, or just send me a PM if interested.

Zach
Qarl
Does it use the standard crush sleeve?
VaccaRabite
Yup. Uses the standard sleeve. You can usually use the one on your current knob, though they are intended to be a single use item.

I make and inset a delrin bushing to support the pressure of the crush ring w/o splitting the wood of the knob on install.

Zach
7TPorsh
PM sent...
Rotary'14
I'm in too!
jmalone
I'm in pm sent
Moneypit
I gotta figure this out with the wife, we're closing on a house today so our budget is on lockdown for a bit. Might have to wait for another run, but we'll see hissyfit.gif
wndsnd
Love mine.

Zach is an artist ........

Click to view attachment
Mblizzard
Zach's work is amazing! I love the shifter he made for my car. I get more comments on it than the car sometimes. If you want one of these don't wait! This is something that makes you simile every time you get in the car.
VaccaRabite
Thanks for the compliments everyone!
I have replied to all the PMs so far.
Zach
VaccaRabite
Turning starts Sunday.
Looking forward to it.

Zach
falcor75
I'll take one please. Way too early to buy goodies like this for my restoration but who's when the next chance comes up. :-)
Mblizzard
QUOTE(falcor75 @ May 3 2014, 10:42 AM) *

I'll take one please. Way too early to buy goodies like this for my restoration but who's when the next chance comes up. :-)

Not too early. Mine sat one the shelf for almost a year!
VaccaRabite
Okay.

Got in my shop today, did an inventory of what I have.

I can make 16 knobs.
11 are currently spoken for.
I am making these in a first in - first out manner. The knobs take about a week to make for the finish to dry and get buffed and waxed.
I'll keep you all in the loop.

I'm not going to update my ETSY page until World has been served. If you all want the last 5 till I run out of supply, they are yours. When I run out of supply, the spring run of knobs is over.

Zach
VaccaRabite
Click to view attachment
Three rennshift knobs ready to post. These will go out next week sometime. Likely Friday, given what my work week looks like next week.

Click to view attachment
11 more blanks cut out with inserts made and epoxied in. These will start being turned this evening after the kids are in bed. Generally I can get three or four turned a night before I start getting too tired to assure best quality. Then it's just several coats of oil, drying time, and buffing.

I have 2 more blanks cut and drilled, but have not turned the delrin inserts yet.

Zach
lonewolfe
Hi Zach!

Can I still buy one of your shift knobs for a Rennshift? I'm not sure if your limit has been reached yet or not.

Let me know when you have a chance.

Thanks,

Mark
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(lonewolfe @ May 9 2014, 04:25 PM) *

Hi Zach!

Can I still buy one of your shift knobs for a Rennshift? I'm not sure if your limit has been reached yet or not.

Let me know when you have a chance.

Thanks,

Mark

Don't know off the top of my head. Let me check the tracking sheet and I will get back to you tonight. I'm getting near the limit of my supplied.
Zach
Mblizzard
Was showing off my car to a friend and his first comment was "nice knob". Of course it was Zach's knob.
VaccaRabite
Lonewolfe is #14 of 16.

I have supplies for 2 knobs left, and then I am likely done with them until fall at the earliest (likely next spring.)

Zach
VaccaRabite
Only one blank left unsold.
If you want one of my knobs this summer, this is the last one I'm making for a while.
2014 World Group Buy is just about closed.

Zach
DMCF1Fast
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 9 2014, 08:38 PM) *

Only one blank left unsold.
If you want one of my knobs this summer, this is the last one I'm making for a while.
2014 World Group Buy is just about closed.

Zach

I'll take it. PM sent.

Thanks David
VaccaRabite
And the last knob of the spring run is sold.

Thanks everyone!
VaccaRabite
Quick update:
The first 8 knobs are totally finished and ready to ship. If I can find time between doctors and work tomorrow they will get shipped tomorrow. If not, Monday.

Three more knobs are turned and have tung oil rubbed in and curing. They need to sit for a few days before polish and wax.

The last five are all cut and have inserts in place, but still need to be turned.
I am hopeful to have all the knobs turned and in oil by the end of the weekend.

Zach
VaccaRabite
Quick update.
On Monday I'll be shipping 14 of the 16 knobs.
I stopped by Staples and got mailers today after my MRI.
All but 2 of the knobs are turned. 9 are totally complete. 5 are sitting, waiting for the oil to dry. On Sunday the oil will be cured and I'll buff them out. Sunday night will be packaging them up for shipping, and then running them to the post on Monday at lunch.

The last two are ready for turning, and will hopefully be turned and in oil on Sunday, but won't be ready for buffing when I mail out the others Monday.

Zach
colingreene
Thats cool, take your time, Im excited to get mine.
I hope your MRI was good.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(colingreene @ May 17 2014, 01:47 AM) *

Thats cool, take your time, Im excited to get mine.
I hope your MRI was good.

Torn ACL.
I'll be getting surgery over the summer some time. barf.gif

Zach
VaccaRabite
Shipped 13 of the 14 completed knobs today.
Falcor75, yours has yet to go out. I balked at the $39 quote to ship to your fine nation. Checking options. I know I shipped a knob to Germany for about $25 with tracking last year. Will check more options tomorrow after work.

Lonewolfe and DMCF1Fast - your knobs are on my bench and will get turned this week - probably Friday night.

Zach
lonewolfe
Thanks for the update Zach! So if it still needs to get turned it will be a couple weeks?
VaccaRabite
Hopeful to have all knobs shipped by next week.
Don't like projects to linger.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.