Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.8l to 2.0l Conversion Advice Requested
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bob's project
I have a 1974 1.8l and have access to an affordable 2.0L GA series engine.

I am highly tempted to do a conversion. Due to special rate insurance I have I need to maintain fuel injection on the engine.

Where I need guidance is how difficult is it to convert the car from the 1.8L engine to the 2.0L engine and switch from L-jet to D-jet?

Mechanically I know this will be a piece-o-cake but electrically are there any gotcha's?

Thanks in advance.

Bob
914itis
To me the easiest way would be to find a complete 2.0 engine and slap it in there. Make sure the engine comes with the brain and harness . The rest if the harness from the relay box to the front of the car is the same. No mods needed.
Valy
Why go from L-Jet to D-Jet?
The L-Jet is much more reliable and parts are more available.
Keep your L-jet injection and electronics and just swap the engine. You'll only need to drill matching holes in the intake J pipes to match the 3 bolts on 2L as opposed to the 4 bolts on the 1.8L.
bob's project
QUOTE(Valy @ Feb 9 2013, 01:10 AM) *

Why go from L-Jet to D-Jet?
The L-Jet is much more reliable and parts are more available.
Keep your L-jet injection and electronics and just swap the engine. You'll only need to drill matching holes in the intake J pipes to match the 3 bolts on 2L as opposed to the 4 bolts on the 1.8L.

Keeping the L-jet would actually be my preference as then the car would be even closer to stock.

I am wondering why the did not use L-jet on the 2.0l. They ran D-jet all the way through to the end in 76.

bob's project
More searching around has validated that L-jet can work on a 2.0. Still not clear if it needs some calibration as well as what injectors to use.

Very unanimous that when building a big 4 that carbs D and L-jet both do not work well and carbs or a modern EFI need to be used. This in not personally relevant to me at the moment.
Valy
The 2.0L was designed before L-Jet was available so there was no reason to modify it for the end of the production.

You can keep the everything you have now on the 1.8L. Injectors are fine, don't worry about that. If you really want to mes around with tuning you can increase a bit the fuel pressure with an aftermarket regulator and then fine-tune the AFM. Is the same as replacing the injectors but more tuneable and cheaper.
You'll probably find some threads about just tuning the AFM to be a tad richer. That doesn't solve anything above 3000 RPM where the fuel map is fixed to the RPM value. However, it does add some more fuel in the lower range, correcting the lean set-up designed to pass emissions. The point is that the low range enrichment will always help a bit, regardless of the engine size but is not required to fix the bigger engine as the fuel is metered to match the air-flow into the engine, up to 3000RPM.
MartyYeoman
From Valy's post above:
You'll only need to drill matching holes in the intake J pipes to match the 3 bolts on 2L as opposed to the 4 bolts on the 1.8L.

The thread below shows how 1.8 runners fit onto 2.0 heads.
It looks like it'll take a bit more than simply drilling a clearance hole.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...614&hl=Ljet
MartyYeoman
popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.