Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Snow storm in the northeast
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
Hope all you in the northeast are safe inside- just say some parts of Maine and Connecticut are in the 30"!!! Wow.

Anyway thought i'd start this thread to see if any of you guys up there wanted to share a few pictures.

65 here i'll be playing golf today bootyshake.gif (that's why i moved here from the Midwest)
Rleog
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Feb 9 2013, 08:19 AM) *

Hope all you in the northeast are safe inside- just say some parts of Maine and Connecticut are in the 30"!!! Wow.

Anyway thought i'd start this thread to see if any of you guys up there wanted to share a few pictures.

65 here i'll be playing golf today bootyshake.gif (that's why i moved here from the Midwest)

Here are a few from the Middleton, Massachusetts area, about 25 miles N of Boston and several miles inland.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

from the roadway:

IPB Image

Waiting for the winds to subside before I get the snowblower and shovels out:

IPB Image

flag.gif

The ground held no snow on Thursday.
flippa
These are in Reading, MA, @ 15 miles north of Boston. It was windy all night so we have snow drifts. One side of my house has bare ground, but the driveway has over three feet.

Have fun golfing dry.gif , we'll be playing in the snow.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
jeeperjohn56
Burrrr! That looks real cold and no fun digging out. Going to a meet and greet and have breakfast, then a drive with some twisty's around the bay area. John driving.gif
scott_in_nh
NH Seacoast area (about 60 miles north of Boston)
ChrisFoley
No pics but we received at least 30".
I've been moving snow for more than 4 hours already and still have a long way to go. Last night I went out and cleared 18" off the driveway and patio. Overnight there was at least 12 inches more added.
Playing it safe and removing some of the snow load from the roof in addition to clearing the walkways and driveway.
Slink
Here in Wall Twp NJ we "only" got 9 inches as the storm started
as rain. From what I see on the news, Suffolk County on Long Is. NY is in
bad shape. There are 200 people stuck in cars on the expressway. Most of these people were commuting home from NYC on Friday afternoon.
ejm
Forecasters were right, winter storm Nemo was a big one.

Click to view attachment
Series9
Here's what it looks like during that awful NE storm:

flippa
QUOTE(Slink @ Feb 9 2013, 10:34 AM) *

There are 200 people stuck in cars on the expressway. Most of these people were commuting home from NYC on Friday afternoon.

There has been a ban on driving in Massachusetts since 4 pm yesterday afternoon in order to prevent people getting trapped in their cars. The news reports were saying that there was a $500 fine if you were out driving & got pulled over.
mskala
North of boston, maybe 28" or so. Here is a Camry that
lost to the drifts. Looks like a volvo station wagon now.

Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(ejm @ Feb 9 2013, 02:07 PM) *

Forecasters were right, winter storm Nemo was a big one.

Click to view attachment

That is the coolest snow sculpture i have ever seen. Back in the day in Minnesota the snow sculptures were very cool!
Hiw did you color.that?
ejm
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Feb 9 2013, 05:56 PM) *

Hiw did you color.that?

I didn't.. snagged the pic off FB biggrin.gif
Cevan
This is a picture of my friend's minivan in Sunderland, MA where he got 30".

Click to view attachment
iamchappy
You guys are so lucky, i wish we could have a nice snowstorm like that, it's been many years since we have had a big snowfall, there so much fun, and make Winters special, enjoy it while its there, it's bound to melt.....
gandalf_025
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Feb 9 2013, 08:32 PM) *

You guys are so lucky, i wish we could have a nice snowstorm like that, it's been many years since we have had a big snowfall, there so much fun, and make Winters special, enjoy it while its there, it's bound to melt.....

I seriously think that the half a million people without power
when it is supposed to go into single digit temps tonight or
the people that lost their homes to the sea consider the words
lucky or fun to be reasonable..
flippa
Gandalf, do you have any pictures of Plum Island? I saw that you guys got hit bad up there. I can't believe the erosion shown on the news.
rmital
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Feb 9 2013, 09:12 PM) *

QUOTE(iamchappy @ Feb 9 2013, 08:32 PM) *

I seriously think that the half a million people without power
when it is supposed to go into single digit temps tonight or
the people that lost their homes to the sea consider the words
lucky or fun to be reasonable..

flag.gif
jd74914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Feb 9 2013, 01:14 PM) *

No pics but we received at least 30".
I've been moving snow for more than 4 hours already and still have a long way to go. Last night I went out and cleared 18" off the driveway and patio. Overnight there was at least 12 inches more added.
Playing it safe and removing some of the snow load from the roof in addition to clearing the walkways and driveway.

Yep...we live right down the road from Chris and obviously got the same amount. We had drifts up to about 4ft in the driveway (my Mazda3 was covered to near the roof) and it looked like a constant near 3 ft through most of the yard.

It took about 3 hours to clear our driveway with a snow blower and plow (too much snow for just the plow), and then another 8+ hours to clear some older relatives. My brother took a picture of me standing in front of my great-aunt's driveway with snow up to my shoulders. blink.gif
gandalf_025
here are a few pictures I took a while ago when I
walked up the street to look at the waterfront

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

a few lost front walls, but none went all the way in
Think at least 2 are condemned at this point

gandalf_025
here are what my driveways look like after I cleared them

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mgp4591
Yeah, in Utah that's Tuesday....
flippa
That is some serious damage. I have been going up to Plum Island since I was a little kid, and it always amazes me how the beach changes from year to year. We were just up on that beach last summer; there was a lot more shoreline in August.

Not looking too good for those homes. It sucks that the EPA has been jamming up the process of protecting the shoreline for these poor people.
Kraftwerk
Hey, my parents and sister live on the main land: Newbury...I recognize that coastline well. Every year it gets trimmed back a bit....

Usually I am a fan of "a big snow"

I actually worked on the car today it was wam here in nyc.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.