Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: VW Metal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
Just received some sheet metal for a 56 Bug I'm working on and was surprised to see that a hole is missing. Why aren't the resellers badgering the manufacturer about this issue? Well here's what I did to it. Still a little more finishing work to get rid of the last few aesthetic issues and it'll get welded into place. This is where the door hinge bolts in.
ejm
If I remember correctly later cars had only three screws on the door hinges. Leaving you to cut the hole, if needed, makes the part a "fits all"
And the factory saved four screws on every car.
Mark Henry
Repair panels for the bugs suck, 3rd world, one size fits all and for the cheapest price. Want to go to India and complain about the quality? The resellers are the 3rd or 4th middleman.

There are a lot of cheap parts for the VW (for cheap asses) and most of the time cheap = crap.
Tom Perso
I bought a "new" front clip for my 61. Damned thing wouldn't fit right... I set it down on the floor and looked at it. The jig that it was welded in was tweeked (or something). The whole new clip was crooked. I had to drill out the spot welds and weld it in piece by piece. Then, after all that, it was promptly cut back out and replaced with a used clip (that was good).

Waste of $100 and hours of work.

Aftermarket body repair sections for Bugs SUCK. Plain and simple.

Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.