Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A giant has fallen...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ConeDodger
Bruce Anderson of excellence magazine passed away last night. He had been quite ill and hospitalized for most of the last year... He had been on a ventilator and had an amputation but of late, he had been doing better. Bruce did the valuation article we all used to wait for every year. God speed Bruce... You will be missed.
Black22
blink.gif sad.gif
Krieger
Crap! Not another. Lets hope that it is not going to happen in threes...
pcar916
Nuts. He and Jerry Woods gave me a lot of ideas over lunches while I was in several weeks worth of their engine and transaxle rebuilding classes some years back. Always remembered me at Parades and other PCA events too.

Cool guy. He always had a balanced perspective on Porsche topics and his book Porsche 911 Performance Handbook is still a staple in any P-car library.

Come to think of it, the first six in my 914 was a 2.7L mill built to the specs in that book.
ConeDodger
His poor wife Stephanie... He had been hospitalized almost continuously for the last 16 months. He was in and out of ICU and only a couple weeks back, he was transferred to a rehab in Walnut Creek. Things were looking up. Then yesterday evening, he was found pulseless and was taken to the ER under CPR. As I said, a giant has fallen... I read everything he wrote religiously. sad.gif
Tom_T
Too bad. sad.gif

That explains why Excellence went away from the buyers guide, and why the 2012 book had so many errors on the 914 section - maybe others too, but I'm not well enough versed on others to say. Even the latest article "3 under $15,000" had the Cayenne info box improperly titled, as with many of their editorial checking on articles over the last year having slipped.

Hopefully they'll get quality replacements at ED & Bruce's expertise, & bring back real quality buyers guide articles every month & in annual book format.

God speed!
carr914
R.I.P. Bruce - I'll remember our Conversations about my Carrera RS

QUOTE(Krieger @ Feb 9 2013, 01:48 PM) *

Crap! Not another. Lets hope that it is not going to happen in threes...

Phil Remington of Dan Gurney AAR Fame also Passed
Cap'n Krusty
Yet another of the good guys. Bruce was always ready with an answer, or a referral. He and I had some interesting conversations about the "last sporto" over the years, and I always met up with him any time I could at various PCA functions. I'll miss him, but I'm glad he's no longer suffering.!

The Cap'n
Gint
RIP Bruce.
Oh no another great Porsche guy....RIP
naro914
RIP Bruce.
He was always such a nice guy and wealth of knowledge to anyone who asked. He will surely be missed....

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 9 2013, 02:18 PM) *

That explains why Excellence went away from the buyers guide,
Hopefully they'll get quality replacements at ED & Bruce's expertise, & bring back real quality buyers guide articles every month & in annual book format.

Actually, eliminating the Buyers Guide was a decision by the Magazine and had nothing to do with Bruce's health. The number 1 - by a long shot - section that the editor Pete Stout got complaints about was the pricing in the Buyers Guide. He said it was BY FAR the biggest headache they had. (people complained that the prices were too high, too low, didn't account for this or that, etc...) Plus, now with so many other outlets to find valuation, what real value was it?

I think the annual book is all they'll be doing, not the monthly stuff ever again.

BTW, most of you know that Pete is no longer with Excellence, right?
sixnotfour
RIP Bruce
GeorgeRud
Boy, this is a tough winter! I had emailed him only a couple of weeks ago, and his wife was nice enough to pass along his advice, even from his hospital bed.

It's tough to see all these folks that helped us so much over all these years going to the big cloud in the sky.

R.I.P. Bruce, you'll be missed!
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(naro914 @ Feb 9 2013, 03:50 PM) *

RIP Bruce.

I learned just yesterday Pete had replaced Betty Jo Turner as editor of Porsche Panorama
I haven't looked at the Excellence masthead to see who's at the top there.

I was loosely affiliated with the Dick Barbour 1979 Le Mans effort (with a side trip to the Nurburgring) and spent some time with Bruce Anderson and Jerry Woods.

I got Bruce to come speak at the 2002 West Coast Wramble in Reno for a tech session. And I attended one of their famous 911 Engine Rebuild Classes. The signed copies of his books will be treasured forever.

Bruce and John both in close succession - it's a lot to take in.
Ain't none of us getting any younger...
Cairo94507
Terrific man! He will be sorely missed. God speed Bruce.
SchwarzHorse
I met Bruce at the first of three annual Porsche Club of America invasions of the National Corvette Museum that occurred several years ago. I remember observing and admiring him like he was a glowing and almighty emperor of the Holy German Sportcar Empire or Master of the World Fleet of Porschedom.
For what seems like three quarters of my life had that man Bruce - Porsche Master Technician - answered questions and solved puzzles which had taunted, aggravated, and more or less pushed me to my limits of patience so many more times than once. He taught me countless tricks and broadened my Porsche tuning and repair knowledge far and beyond any other service manual author I've ever encountered.

I'll miss you Bruce ! ! !

pray.gif
larryM
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Feb 9 2013, 02:45 PM) *

RIP Bruce.

Ain't none of us getting any younger...

X2 - bummer

thanks for the heads up

- he lived not far from me, and appraised my GT a couple yrs back

- a nice, soft-spoken guy,

only in his new retirement house too short a while

- all of us "old guys" will be having some new introspection about how long we are gonna keep doing this hobby

LarryM
EdwardBlume
I took the Woods / Anderson class. Bruce was a good guy and knew a ton about Porsches and people. People like Bruce keep me in this hobby. If I keep at it, I'll be an old fart at some point too.

RIP Bruce!
carr914
QUOTE(RobW @ Feb 10 2013, 12:41 AM) *

I took the Woods / Anderson class. Bruce was a good guy and knew a ton about Porsches and people. People like Bruce keep me in this hobby. If I keep at it, I'll be an old fart at some point too.

RIP Bruce!

Wish I had gone to a Woods/Anderson Class!
914Sixer
Wow, another is gone. Bruce will be missed.
boxstr
Rip Bruce. I was looking forward to possibly speaking to him again at the Lit meet.
Super knowledge about Porsche and everything that went with them.
Always enjoyed hearing the race stories.
CCL at CAMP
mr914
RIP Bruce
r_towle

RIP Bruce.
He was always such a nice guy and wealth of knowledge to anyone who asked. He will surely be missed....

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 9 2013, 02:18 PM) *

That explains why Excellence went away from the buyers guide,

Actually, eliminating the Buyers Guide was a decision by the Magazine and had nothing to do with Bruce's health. The number 1 - by a long shot - section that the editor Pete Stout got complaints about was the pricing in the Buyers Guide. He said it was BY FAR the biggest headache they had. (people complained that the prices were too high, too low, didn't account for this or that, etc...) Plus, now with so many other outlets to find valuation, what real value was it?

I think the annual book is all they'll be doing, not the monthly stuff ever again.

Wow, what a sad thing, but at least he is no longer in pain.
With Bruce gone from Excellence, that magazine has lost a great and knowledgable contributor.
With Peter moving to the PCA, Excellence may be in jeapardy...

A great editor who knows the brand, and a great contributor as what made that magazine so good.

Rich
Michelj13
The Porsche community has truly lost an icon. I have been reading his articles for 25 years. He will be missed for sure.

The 911 Performance handbook is one of my favorites. It sits on my bookshelf next to couple of other books from authors of old guard that have passed. Harry Pellow's "Secrets of the Inner Circle" and Duane Spencer's " The complete Porsche 912 guide".

Thanks for sharing you knowledge Bruce. RIP
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.