Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas tank restoration question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
I have the latest parts car in the garage now. Its a 75 2.0L for those that are wondering, now back to my question. biggrin.gif

I pulled the gas tank yesterday and it looks in great contion. It looks like the inside has been clean and treated sometime in the past. My question is what is used to "restore" the inside of a gas tank? This tank has a red color to the inside of it. I will try and get some pictures posted later today.
Harpo
Good afternoon,

My local radiator shop offers the same service. I don't know exactly what that red stuff is though. POR 15 offers another product that you can apply your self.

David
tod914
That's probally the Bill Hirsch product. Makes like a red rubbery bladder. http://www.hirschauto.com/products.asp?dept=4
Had that done by a radiator shop on my 75. Thought it worked quite well. I suppose like any of these products, it's only going to be as good as the prep. Having the tank boiled out, then acid etched, is likely your best bet before applying any of these products.
Drums66
...Radiator shop idea.gif
bulitt
As stated, POR makes a kit, Eastwood makes a kit, and RedKote makes a kit which from your description may have been done already.
wingnut86
Geez guys, I expect better.

It's RedKoat...

The only thing you should be using. I have never liked POR15 for tanks, didn't like it when I used it in non-German makes, seems to work fine for all other parts of our cars.

The RedKoat is forever.

beer.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Feb 16 2013, 06:16 PM) *

Geez guys, I expect better.

It's RedKoat...

The only thing you should be using. I have never liked POR15 for tanks, didn't like it when I used it in non-German makes, seems to work fine for all other parts of our cars.

The RedKoat is forever.

beer.gif

pray.gif Thank you sir beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.