Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lithium Mini Battery Starts/Runs 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
root
O.K. I decided to try out the Full Spectrum Power Lithium Battery on my 914.
I figured if it worked on Blackie then it would be a great choice for the Exbike (two-wheeled type 4 project).

Here's a YouTube of the test ->
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...p;v=m-yL9MiWya0

Click to view attachment

test hookup - disconnected the Optima and replaced it with the P3
Blackie started cold (about 38 F outside) and ran just fine, The alternator
put out 14Vdc constant charge and kept the little P3 happy. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

The pic makes the P3 look pretty big - it's not - 4.25"Wx3.25"Dx3.25H
weighing in at 2.2lbs.

Click to view attachment
scotty b
Interesting. This could be very advantagous in certain cases like engine swaps. smile.gif

Cranking amps ?
Anticipated life span ?
Cost ?
root
Full Power Spectrum Link
http://www.fullspectrumpower.com/product/pulse-p3/

P3 is going in the one on the right.
This is a photo from December 2012.
Click to view attachment

Here's what it looked like last week.
Click to view attachment

Here what it looks like now.
Click to view attachment
tscrihfield
That is freaking awesome!!! aktion035.gif

Rand
Always loved your work Root. Wish I could visit. NV to VA.....
root
QUOTE(Rand @ Feb 10 2013, 02:38 PM) *

Always loved your work Root. Wish I could visit. NV to VA.....

Ha! Thank You, I'll look u up when I make my cross country trip in the Exbike biggrin.gif
oz371
Screw the battery, biggrin.gif Lets talk about that killer paint job! NICE!!! smilie_pokal.gif
root
icon_bump.gif
Has anybody tried similar?
rhodyguy
the carbs look so cool. great concept! how do you plan to secure the battery in the tray?

k
root
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 11 2013, 06:29 AM) *

the carbs look so cool. great concept! how do you plan to secure the battery in the tray?

k

VELCRO? beer.gif
rhodyguy
hope that bat isn't made by the company that produces the ones for the 787s. wink.gif

root
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 11 2013, 08:12 AM) *

hope that bat isn't made by the company that produces the ones for the 787s. wink.gif

Nope! Not from Japan! Not a Yuasa. My friend just up the road from me builds
these, right here in Sterling, Virginia, 'Full Spectrum Power'. He uses A123 Systems cells exclusively. They are the lightest, safest, and most powerful lithium cells available, made in the USA, thoroughly tested and inspected. Other lightweight battery companies sacrifice quality, or use inferior copies or recycled cells in their batteries. Everything in this battery is USA produced.

$289.00 for the 'P3' but what a quality assembly design, choice materials, and support. Check his website: http://www.fullspectrumpower.com/about/technology/
r_towle
The biggest issue with Lithium batteries is the heat produced when in use.
Charging or rapid dispersal can overheat those.

You may want to consider a decent aluminum box for the battery if you intend to put it in the car...
For the bike...let it breath it should be fine.

rich
ldsgeek
QUOTE(root @ Feb 11 2013, 07:26 AM) *

He uses A123 Systems cells exclusively. They are the lightest, safest, and most powerful lithium cells available, made in the USA, thoroughly tested and inspected.

Maybe not for long. The Chinese just got permission to buy the remains of A123 (after they defaulted on a $250M loan from the US gov't).
moparrob
QUOTE(ldsgeek @ Feb 11 2013, 10:55 AM) *

QUOTE(root @ Feb 11 2013, 07:26 AM) *

He uses A123 Systems cells exclusively. They are the lightest, safest, and most powerful lithium cells available, made in the USA, thoroughly tested and inspected.

Maybe not for long. The Chinese just got permission to buy the remains of A123 (after they defaulted on a $250M loan from the US gov't).

Another "shovel ready" project gone awry...
rjames
QUOTE(oz371 @ Feb 10 2013, 01:54 PM) *

Screw the battery, biggrin.gif Lets talk about that killer paint job! NICE!!! smilie_pokal.gif

agree.gif drooley.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.