Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TARGA TOP CALIFORNIA MOTOR TOUR APRIL 12 & 13
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hydroliftin
It's official. As announced at the 914 Breakfast, there will be a driving event starting in the Bay Area and swinging down to Central California overnight before returing the next day. Send me a private message with your real name, screen name, e-mail and a cell phone number so that I can keep track of who is planning to attend.

Friday, April 12 we meet at Canepa Design in Scotts Valley at about 11:00;
4900 Scotts Valley Dr Scotts Valley, CA 95066
I have aranged with Dave Bouzaglou and Canepa to meet up with the folks who are driving on the California Targa Click here for California Targa.

The California Targa participants are staying on for a catered lunch, but I expect we will hit the road by 12:00 so that we have enough time for the afternoon drive. Roads include Carmel Valley Rd. to Greenfield, then over the Eastern side of 101 with roads such as Peach Tree Rd, Indian Valley Rd, & Hare Canyon. We spend the night at Motel 6 in King City:
3 Broadway Cir King City, CA 93930 Telephone: (831) 385-5000
You can book a room for about $50. No special event rate just get the best rate you can. This motel is pretty nice for a Motel 6.

Saturday, April 13 we head back to the Bay Area via Fort Hunter Liggett, Nacimiento-Fergusson Road, then North on Highway 1 til you get back home. I expect to get going early so that we still have time for weekend chores on Saturday. By leaving early you can avoid the motor homes and torist traffic as well. To gain access to Fort Hunter Liggett you mst have valid driver's license, vehicle registration and proof of insurance. Vehicles are subject to random search too, so be cool.

hydroliftin
icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif

I spoke with some people at the breakfast last week. Send me a private message with your real name, screen name, e-mail and a cell phone number so that I can keep track of who is planning to attend.

MartyYeoman
Are you proposing a "ride along" event for "world" participants?
Lodging and food costs only? confused24.gif
halmil
Link says $310 per car, plus you pay housing (and gas!)
effutuo101
My wife and I stayed at the Hearst hunting lodge on our way to California last year. It is on the fort property. Amazing drives.
hydroliftin
QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Feb 14 2013, 12:45 PM) *

Marty-- This is in no way associated with the Targa California. The only connection is that we will start at Canepa Design in Scott's Valley as they arrive for their lunch. We will have some time to check out their rides and meet the drivers before heading out on our adventure. There is no cost for the Targa Top. You pay only your own expenses for food, gas, lodging, etc.
hydroliftin
QUOTE(halmil @ Feb 14 2013, 02:37 PM) *

Link says $310 per car, plus you pay housing (and gas!)

Sorry for the confusion Hal. The link is for the Targa California. The drive I have planned has no fee. The only connection with the Targa California is that we start at Canepa designs where they will be stopping for lunch. I wanted an alternative to driving all the way to So Cal to the start.
MartyYeoman
QUOTE(hydroliftin @ Feb 14 2013, 04:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Feb 14 2013, 12:45 PM) *

Marty-- This is in no way associated with the Targa California. The only connection is that we will start at Canepa Design in Scott's Valley as they arrive for their lunch. We will have some time to check out their rides and meet the drivers before heading out on our adventure. There is no cost for the Targa Top. You pay only your own expenses for food, gas, lodging, etc.

Sounds fun. I'll have to keep it in mind. driving-girl.gif
hydroliftin
icon_bump.gif
Well how about it? Anyone else in? Drop me a private message and I'll add you to the list.
Chris Pincetich
Hmmm - I'd love to do this with my fiance but getting the time off work Friday will be the challenge.

Thanks for organizing it! Some day I want to do the REAL Targa California event with my 1972 914. beerchug.gif

icon_bump.gif
hydroliftin
icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif

Mandatory bump -- I'm still planning on doing this. Please let me know if you plan on joining us. Please provide you cell phone and e-mail so that I can contact you if something comes up or the group gets separated.

Thanks,
wes
i'd really like to do this but my 914 is still in the stages, Ah,,,,, but ,,just ,,a ,thought would they mind a 1978 GMC motorhome trailing along could be like a support vehicle? beer.gif
boxstr
I have a customer who purchased a 914 here in Oregon and is planning to fly out and drive down to this event, participate and ship car back east to his home. Fun way to pickup your 914.
Craig at CAMP
hydroliftin
QUOTE(wes @ Mar 17 2013, 09:13 PM) *

i'd really like to do this but my 914 is still in the stages, Ah,,,,, but ,,just ,,a ,thought would they mind a 1978 GMC motorhome trailing along could be like a support vehicle? beer.gif

Hey Wes,

You must enjoy a challege. If you can aford the fuel for that thing you are welcome to join in the fun. I expect those of us in 914's may be a tad quicker in the twisty bits, but I don't think there are any roads that I plan on that are impossible in a motorhome. You may want to skip the last bit and sail down the 101, or you might not get to King City until about 5 past late.

hydroliftin
QUOTE(boxstr @ Mar 17 2013, 10:09 PM) *

I have a customer who purchased a 914 here in Oregon and is planning to fly out and drive down to this event, participate and ship car back east to his home. Fun way to pickup your 914.
Craig at CAMP

Craig,

Is this the red car with the Triad exhaust and Fuchs? Beauty! I would be pleased to have whoever bought it join us. He may want to move out to the West Coast after this rather than ship it back home.

If you can pm me his e-mail address I will contact him with the route sheet, phone numbers, etc.
boxstr
I know that Chuck would love to do both, he is currently has 6 ' of snow in his front yard. The red 914 won't get out until most of that is gone.

The car coming down is a white 72 that has been modified and gone through before purchase, by the previous owner.

I am sure he to would love to do both. Love the left coast.
Craig at CAMP
hydroliftin
I put the route sheet together for this event. If anyone else plans on attending, please let me know by private message and give me your e-mail address and cell phone. That way I can get hold of you if anything changes.
hydroliftin
QUOTE(hydroliftin @ Mar 24 2013, 05:50 PM) *

I put the route sheet together for this event. If anyone else plans on attending, please let me know by private message and give me your e-mail address and cell phone. That way I can get hold of you if anything changes.

I've gotten a few last minute inquiries about this tour. It's still on and the weather should be fantastic. PM me if you are interested in attending or if you have already contacted me and need a route sheet.
hydroliftin
QUOTE(hydroliftin @ Apr 9 2013, 06:55 PM) *

QUOTE(hydroliftin @ Mar 24 2013, 05:50 PM) *

I've gotten a few last minute inquiries about this tour. It's still on and the weather should be fantastic. PM me if you are interested in attending or if you have already contacted me and need a route sheet.

Oh man what a fantastic time! Sandy showed up at Canepa at about 11:30 with his ivory white original 914-6, with wife Winnie riding shotgun. We waited until after noon and left just as the Targa California guys started to arrive from Southern California. Stopped for lunch in Carmel Valley the on to 40 miles of traffic free sailing on Carmel Valley Rd. Lonoak Rd out of King City is a featureless climb, but things got more interesting as we turned right onto Peach Tree Rd. Fast sweeping turns chasing down a white pickup truck in the distance. Finally caught him at the stop sign, then a quick left and right to stay on Peach Tree. Indian Valley Rd features tighter turns and a roller coaster section where you loose sight of the car ahead. Down Hare Cnyn Rd and North on Hwy 101 to the motel. Next morning left before dawn arriving at Ft Hunter Ligget as the sun came up. After some time getting lost on base we found Nacimiento-Fergusson Rd to the Coast Hwy North. Man what a beautiful drive. We pulled into the Coffee & Cars event in Monterey at about 10:00 and lo & behold, so did the Targa California (all 100+ cars).

Thanks Sandy for bringing your 6 out to play, and thank you Winnie for putting up with us! Hope to do this again soon.
rick 918-S
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Seaside6
Thanks Peter for putting together a great outing. The roads are fantastic - twisty and open. We spent hardly any time being hindered by slower traffic. Wini enjoyed this trip but has decided she will let the guys go it alone in the future. She said it was a white-knuckle drive.

Let me know when you are ready to do it again.

Sandy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.