Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tin question for AC car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stateofidleness
Gents,
In the middle of a teardown and cleaning up the tin and stuff... I have a '73 1.7 with A/C and one of the tin pieces fits kind of goofy. I want to straighten it out before painting, but I'm not sure how it's supposed to fit... I've attached a few pics showing different angles of it before removal. I'm wondering if that indented part where the screw is on top is supposed to be dented in like that or perfectly domed? It doesn't seem like that rise is tall enough to allow the flat part of the tin to sit flat. In the 3rd pic, you can see where I hammered it out and it seems a little better, but I was hoping someone was familiar with this tin piece and could confirm what it's supposed to look like. Any reference pics of it?

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
dlee6204
QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 10 2013, 06:54 PM) *

I've never seen this part. It goes on the brake reservoir? Got a pic with it on?

It's not suppose to be dented. I'll post a picture if I have one.

Slight Hijack: How was your compressor driven off the front of the motor? rolleyes.gif
stateofidleness
There's a pulley on the front of the impeller fan. Compressor mounted on a steel bracket just above the fan housing with a centered pulley on the compressor.

Click to view attachment
CMONNETT
It should be flat. It looks quite different from other 914's I've had with AC. The way the tin is cut is what I'm referring to.
dlee6204
Cool. Thanks!

Click to view attachment
stateofidleness
Awesome pic! Didn't even cross my mind that mine was cut out on that one side like that. That's where my big steel bracket thing is bolted to and goes up and lays flat on top (a big "L" shaped piece that goes up the side and lays flat on top of the housing.

You can see in my second pic the "seam" on that piece appears to have been cut or broken at some point. Should I weld that seam closed?
dlee6204
You can see in my second pic the "seam" on that piece appears to have been cut or broken at some point. Should I weld that seam closed?

Yup, weld away.
stateofidleness
You guys are awesome! beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.