Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: spring rubbing on shock body
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
siverson
Hmmm... Anyone seen this before? On both sides of my car, the spring seems to deflect (sometimes?) and rub the shock body and adjustable collar. The threads are ruined on the collar.

Any ideas?

-Steve
While servicing my ride last year, I notice the same thing on mine. Since then, I've added 'helper' springs to keep tension on the main spring. Possible cause, the car unweightes, main spring does not reseat poperly - thus hangs and rubs on the coller / shock.....if anyone has another suggestion, bring it on.
siverson
> main spring does not reseat properly

Yeah, I know what you are saying, but with my spring/collar, I don't think that's possible. Everything and tied up to stay aligned (and I'm 99% sure it does)...

-Steve

Steve, not sure.....but I know one / a spring was unloading going down hill on turn 6 at big willow ....I heard a big clunk- thus I went with 25lbs helper springs to keep them aligned.
shoguneagle
You have "nailed" the cause and effects of having shortened springs with adjustable perches. These need to be tied up as suggested in the comments.
Luke M
I bought a coil over kit from Rich J awhile back but haven't installed/used them yet.
From what the instructions say the top of the spring needs to be wire tied to the shock/spring cap. I'm guessing that's why now that I see your post. I'm not sure if that would fix the problem or just move more on the lower perch? I'll see if I have some pics handy if not I'll take some later and post them here.

Luke

Added some pics if it helps.
pcar916
We have other threads where this is addressed. The cable-ties won't last but figuring out how long is impossible. Mine will go about a month or three before they snap. Others use stainless wire through the same holes to keep the springs up.

In any case I haven't run across too many collars that don't have some wear in a similar way. I've considered making 1/8in teflon buffers to wrap the collar with but my teflon supply has dwindled over the years so I'm reluctant to do it, especially since it treats the symptom rather than the cause.
siverson
Strange. That's exactly what my shock looks like, and I have the black zip ties and they've held for a long time (2+ years). Since the spring stays aligned on each collar, I still don't quite understand how that could be causing it. Hmmm...
edwin
How much free movement is there between the spring and collar when the car is off the ground? I expect that the bottom of the spring will be riding those threads when unloaded which doesn't seem ideal. Plenty of cars use a limiting strap simply to stop the suspension from unloading the spring which isn't always captive. I'd prefer a strap to a helper spring any day or figure out how to wire the bottom of the spring to the bottom collar
My 2c
Edwin
ChrisFoley
What do you have in the shock towers, stock rubber bushings?
The arc that the shock moves through puts side loads into the perch/spring because the bushings don't follow the shaft movement like spherical bearings would.

Perhaps that's the source of the sleeve wear.
Chris Pincetich
popcorn[1].gif
The Ground Control set-up I have (red) looks perfect after 2+ years of occasional AX and lots of bumpy, windy roads. Running 8" long, 175lbs springs w rubber bushings up top and roller bearing "bushings" down low. Springs are not tied up, no helpers. Numerous wheel changes, suspension checks etc. I guess I am lucky? beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.