Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Progress pictures
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
siverson
Hi everyone,

Here are some more progress pictures - I actually feel like this 5 year project is about 99% done now! Woohoo! Still need to work on the FI, it's not perfect (going to install Tec3), need a front valence, and a handful of other things, but it's almost there.

I had driven the car about 2000 miles with virtually no interior - just a drivers side seat and a bunch of exposed metal (no tar or sound proofing whatsoever). It was pretty loud, and I was considering installing sound deadening (Dynamat) prior to the interior, but I decided not to too and just see how much the leather/carpet quieted things down. Well, let me just say an interior helps A LOT. It's not too loud whatsoever now, and this is just this a normal backpad and the carpet right on the steel. Road noise/ability to have a conversion-wise, it's actually about equivalent to my stock 63 356 B. Certainly not a modern car, but it's fine and bearable.

Anyways, back to the details of the interior. It's far from factory, but I tried to make it look like a factory effort. Sort of my version of what a GT-style street interior would look like. Not stock, not bare like a racecar, not plush like a 916, just nicely trimmed with very little extras and as much non functioning stuff removed as possible.

Off the top of my head, the modifications from stock:

- removed headrests from stock 914 seat (ala 914 GT-esque)

- fit new seats to back pad

- lowered drivers side floor 1" (cut a "U")

- bolted drivers side seat to floor / notched front of seat to fit

- heated seats (two elements per seat: bottom and back)

- cockpit adjustable brake bias between seats

- 5-point seatbelts

- extra "center console type" guages moved to dash (in my case: clock, volt, fuel)

- 1.5" steering wheel extension

- Momo prototipo steering wheel

- no center console

- 964 primary guages

- working OBC (trip computer, outside temp, digital speedometer)

- removed door handle/pockets

- Fiat 600 door handle (same as factory GT cars, but no leather door pull)

- new dash cap

- all leather

- 356 carpet, square weave, charcoal (actually looks much darker in person than the pictures, almost black)

Basically less is more, but sacrifice some weight for minor luxuries like carpet, door handles, etc. And there still are some things to do... I will be installing a radio and speakers. Need a handle for the glove box (hmmm where did that go?). I'm probably going to wrap the orange gauge cluster in black smooth leather - I'm not 100% sold on this single orange thing in the cockpit. Hmmm... Thoughts on that? Also, I’m not totally thrilled with the random shift knob I chose. Oh well, more important things still to work on.

seats/backpad:
user posted image

passenger door panel
user posted image

dash:
user posted image

heated seat controls:
user posted image

drivers seat (no headrest):
IPB Image

lowered seat:
user posted image

seatbelt install:
user posted image

full car:
user posted image

Or if you want to see all the gory details, here are a bunch of pictures:
www.streamload.com/steve/914_interior_pictures_11-13-2004/

And during the install at Auto Intl a couple weeks ago:
www.streamload.com/steve/2004-10-21_914_at_Autos_Intl/

(BTW, Autos Intl did a great job wrapping everything, I highly recommend them. Not the cheapest, but good quality, pretty much on time, and nice guys to work with.)

-Steve
spare time toys
Me likes smilie_pokal.gif
brant
wow...

great job..
very nice..
the seats look cool...

brant
TheCabinetmaker
Awesome job Steve. smilie_pokal.gif beer.gif beerchug.gif beer3.gif mueba.gif
Jeroen
Very, very nice!!!
Hi_Fi_Guy
Fantastic job. Looks amazing, great work. There are to many cool touches to list but I especially like the way you cut down the seats and still integrated the back pad. The leather covering the cross bar where the carpet stops looks great too.

Amazing.
Allan
agree.gif The back pad and seats look way cool.
gregrobbins
IMPRESSIVE!
Tab914
:agree

Car looks fantastic. Interior is very spiffy. Great job on the seats and leather. Also love the color of the car.

Keep up the good work smilie_pokal.gif
campbellcj
Awesome car Steve! I'd like to see it in person one of these days.

Personally I think the factory shift knob would be more "in character"...
DrifterJay
well now that you have the interior in, you can put the dual out muffler back on that you were talking about yesterday, right biggrin.gif ?
MattR
That car was definatly one of the highlights of the fun run yetsterday. A true piece of art. Way to go!
BIGKAT_83
Saw your car at the GAF and it was one of the best 914s there. Looked great with the interior then and better now.

smilie_pokal.gif
nebreitling
WOW!

steve, the car looks fabulous. congrats on what was obviously some VERY hard work.
bjorn jacobson
Outstanding job, gorgeuos car!
Very inspiraitonal, these kind of pics encourage me to get my butt in gear and get the project on the street.
Have fun driving that baby.
914MF
pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif
aircooledboy
2 words: Holy Crap!!!! wub.gif wub.gif beerchug.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif
datapace
Damn, well done. Very well tied together! smilie_pokal.gif

BTW, what's that black cover for on the pass side long?

-Bryan
william harris
First class job! I have decided to ship my seats, door panels, etc. to Auto International for a leather retrim. Glad to see the quality of their work. smilie_pokal.gif
Stutgart46
That looks great.
I love the originality.
You rock! smilie_pokal.gif
siverson
Thanks for the compliments.

> Personally I think the factory shift knob would be more "in character"...

Yeah, I agree, the Momo knob just isn't right. But, my dilemma (<-- isn't life tough?) is that I'm using the 915 transmission and IMHO the 915 shift knob is just plain fugly. I love the clear top (expensive) 901 shifter knob, but my shift pattern is different and I can't use that one. I'm thinking about "coloring in" the shift pattern on the 915 knob in white to dress it up or something.

> well now that you have the interior in, you can put the dual out muffler back on that you were talking about yesterday, right ?

No, I don't think so. smile.gif I'm going to try and keep the g/f approval factor (plus keep my head from exploding from the resonance of the dual in/out).

> BTW, what's that black cover for on the pass side long?

There are two on the passenger side, one on drivers side, and they are the plates that the bolt in roll bar (hoop + diagonal) bolts to. The carpet was just trimmed around the plates. I'm thinking about making small carpet trim squares to "bolt" to these plates when the roll bar isn't in.

Plus, I forgot to mention, which some of you may have missed. I started with a late (72+) knee pad, but wanted to remove it for a clean look and less weight. So I took the vents out of the knee pad, and cut the backs off so they'd fit directly into the dash. Picture below:

-Steve

Diagonal bolt-in plate:
IPB Image

Dash vent close up:
IPB Image
siverson
Picture of the fugly 915 shift knob in question (stolen from the bird board):

icon8.gif

barf.gif
sixnotfour
Nice !! the 72-73 911 had a shift knob that looked like the 914 one , but has the correct 915 shift pattern FYI
John
Hey,

Very nice car. Job well done (well no 914 is ever done now is it).

BTW, what is that combo gauge out of? A C2 or a C4? I see all the idiot lights. Do they work or is it bling bling?

If you went with a 915 gearbox, I'm guessing you have a big motor. 3.6?

I do really like what you did with the seats. I had never thought of that.
siverson
> the 72-73 911 had a shift knob that looked like the 914 one , but has the correct 915 shift pattern FYI

Really? That's news to me... Anyone have pictures? I wonder what the chances are this is the right knob:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/eagleday/factoryknobs.html
Shift Knob 4 Or 5 Speed 1972-74
Genuine Porsche® shift knob for 4 or 5 speed transmissions. Fits 1972-74 911s.
911-020071$92.95Transmission: 4 Speed5 Speed

> BTW, what is that combo gauge out of? A C2 or a C4?

Yes, a late model gauge - they were the all the same (or very close) for 964 and 993 cars. I'm not sure exactly what car the combo gauge is out of. The tach with the OBC (On Board Computer) only came on tiptronic and turbo cars.

> I see all the idiot lights. Do they work or is it bling bling?

All the applicable ones work. Brake, check engine, oil pressure, alternator... I think that's it that I'm using. ABS, traction control, etc, etc indicators obviously aren't hooked up.

> If you went with a 915 gearbox, I'm guessing you have a big motor. 3.6?

Yes, 3.6.

-Steve
siverson
Hmmm... And Performance Products seems to think that such a knob is easy to come by...

> You are buying for a 1972 PORSCHE 911 S
> To BUY this product:
> (A) Black Shift Knob With Emblem $78.95

-Steve
John
I have a feeling that what was meant by
the 72-73 911 had a shift knob that looked like the 914 one , but has the correct 915 shift pattern FYI

was that the factory shift knob was similar to the factory 914 knobs (Black with silver shift pattern under a clear plastic "lens").

I know that a 1973 911S that I used to work on had such a shift knob, but I don't think I have seen one of those in a catalog for a long time.

I think you would be looking for a 914.424.018.00 (Shift Knob 1972-74, black, 5-speed).
I know the number starts with 914 but it is a 911 part.

Just my $0.02
McMark
I'm curious about the heated seats. I thought about doing this in my car and would like to know details.
nein14
GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smilie_pokal.gif
JmuRiz
OK, this has to be brought up....did you paint the underside of those C/F lids or just the tops?

The car looks really great, I love the idea for the rollhoop + diagonal! I think it looks cool with the bracket exposed. Can a passenger fit in the seat when the hoop+diagonal is installed? Just wondering, might be a cool addition for trackdays. I like it when people go all out when doing a custom car. I'm sure it's a hoot.
John
Awww bummer..... sad.gif

I told someone about this car and now the pics are kaput.

Is there any way the pics could be re-posted????

Please?
nsyr
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

What happened with the pics? Everyone is saying how great they are and I don't see them.
I feel like I am taking crazy pills!!! lol
Engman
No pics here either ...... sad.gif

M
TheCabinetmaker
My brothers 78SC's shift knob is identical to my 914 with the different shift pattern.
siverson
Ooops, sorry, pictures are back up now.

-Steve
Root_Werks
smilie_pokal.gif Wow! Love that color! L20E baby! biggrin.gif
siverson
Heres the foam fill-in...

IPB Image
Aaron Cox
steve, you did the foaming yourself?
siverson
Yes - cut, glue, and sand. It's very easy stuff to work with.

Autos Intl did take a little bit more foam out of the back than is in these pictures so that it didn't hit the passengers shoulders as much. They used an electric shaver gizmo for that.

-Steve
Kerrys914
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Man I wish I could sew sad.gif

Very nice work
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.