Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 76 2.0l air injection removal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jdlmodelt
I have a 76 2.0l Djet in my 72. What mods can I do to bring this engine back up to the 95-96HP it had before the CA emissions mods were introduced?
thanks,
James
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(jdlmodelt @ Feb 11 2013, 06:24 AM) *

I have a 76 2.0l Djet in my 72. What mods can I do to bring this engine back up to the 95-96HP it had before the CA emissions mods were introduced?
thanks,
James

Replace the FI control unit and the MPS with an earlier version, and replace the complete exhaust system. Other than the power draw of the pump, which is likely to be minimal, the air pump system doesn't cause any HP loss. Nor does the EGR, for that matter, and that keeps the cylinder temps down, which is a good thing.

The Cap'n

jdlmodelt
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 11 2013, 08:20 AM) *

thanks,
James

Replace the FI control unit and the MPS with an earlier version, and replace the complete exhaust system. Other than the power draw of the pump, which is likely to be minimal, the air pump system doesn't cause any HP loss. Nor does the EGR, for that matter, and that keeps the cylinder temps down, which is a good thing.

The Cap'n

So what do I do to bring it back up to 96 HP as opposed to the 86HP?
j
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(jdlmodelt @ Feb 11 2013, 05:06 PM) *

thanks,
James

The Cap'n

j

You asked, I answered:

"Replace the FI control unit and the MPS with an earlier version, and replace the complete exhaust system. Other than the power draw of the pump, which is likely to be minimal, the air pump system doesn't cause any HP loss. Nor does the EGR, for that matter, and that keeps the cylinder temps down, which is a good thing."

The Cap'n

jdlmodelt
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 11 2013, 06:58 PM) *

QUOTE(jdlmodelt @ Feb 11 2013, 05:06 PM) *

thanks,
James

The Cap'n

j

You asked, I answered:

"Replace the FI control unit and the MPS with an earlier version, and replace the complete exhaust system. Other than the power draw of the pump, which is likely to be minimal, the air pump system doesn't cause any HP loss. Nor does the EGR, for that matter, and that keeps the cylinder temps down, which is a good thing."

The Cap'n

Thanks Cap'n...I understand what you are saying now. I read somewhere that my 1.7l 72 fuel injected non-CA puts out about as much HP as the 76 CA detuned 2.0l...what's your take on that one?
thanks,
j

Dave_Darling
80 DIN HP for the 1.7; 88 HP for the 75-76 2.0.

So no.

--DD
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 11 2013, 09:02 PM) *

80 DIN HP for the 1.7; 88 HP for the 75-76 2.0.

So no.

--DD

Thanks Dave, but close! If I am putting new jugs and pistons on the 1.7l can I slightly bump up the compression and/or displacement without modifying anything else to push it to 88+?
thanks,
j
Dave_Darling
96mm P&Cs will get you 1911cc displacement. Should get you pretty close, or even over.

Note that the 96es that fit 1.7 heads are rather thin at the top. It is usually recommended to use the 96es that are intended for 1.8 motors, and fly-cut the heads so they fit correctly. No case mods are needed for either of those kits.

--DD
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 12 2013, 02:38 PM) *

96mm P&Cs will get you 1911cc displacement. Should get you pretty close, or even over.

Note that the 96es that fit 1.7 heads are rather thin at the top. It is usually recommended to use the 96es that are intended for 1.8 motors, and fly-cut the heads so they fit correctly. No case mods are needed for either of those kits.

--DD

thanks! I can get my heads machined. no big deal. what HP does that bring me to with stock rods and stock cam?
Jeffs9146
Just keep in mind that you might be changing your ability to sell the car in states like California by changing the smog stuff and exhaust!

I know you are not in CA, but, if you decide to sell it will make a difference!
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Feb 12 2013, 10:48 PM) *

Just keep in mind that you might be changing your ability to sell the car in states like California by changing the smog stuff and exhaust!

I know you are not in CA, but, if you decide to sell it will make a difference!

Thanks Jeff, You are right...we say we will NEVER sell a car, but I have sold quite a few I thought I never would part with.

I plan to leave all the smog stuff on it. My long term plan is to put the 2.0l and matching tranny back in the 76 that will get restored over the next couple of years and then rebuild the 1.7l and tranny that orriginally came out of the 72 and put it back in the 72. That's why I am asking about how I can bump up the performance of the 1.7l on the cheap so I performs as well as or better than the 2.0l. The 2.0l only has 20k miles on it since it had a pro rebuild so it runs strong right now.

SO when everything is all said and done. 1.7l in 72 matched up like it used to be and the 2.0l in the 76 with all of its smog junk just like it used to be.
James
So, the jug size we are talking about bumps the 1.7l up into the 1.9l+ range, is there a cam that I should be considering that will make it a little more torquey on the bottom end or is there a cam that I should be adding to this jug set just because?
r_towle
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 11 2013, 10:20 AM) *

thanks,
James

Other than the power draw of the pump, which is likely to be minimal, the air pump system doesn't cause any HP loss. Nor does the EGR, for that matter, and that keeps the cylinder temps down, which is a good thing.

The Cap'n

Oh God, now you got me thinking....
Wonder how this would work to help cool a race motor.....hmmm

rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.