Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Found a good donor for a 6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tscrihfield
So, I have lived about a quarter mile away from a 74 911T for 5 years and never knew it. It has a 2.7 in it and CIS. The car is a lost cause, but complete with engine trans. It has sat for a few years outside but the engine still turns over. Really all I'm after is the engine in it if it is a good buy. It does have a nice set of Fuchs on it...

What are all of your thoughts of its worth? I will most likely buy the whole car and sell everything minus the engine.
GeorgeRud
When I did my conversion, I used a rusted 75 Targa for a donor. I'd be sure to keep the engine, transmission, half shafts, front struts (or entire front suspension system). I'd also keep the shift mechanism, pedal cluster, and all the gauges. Depending how involved you want to get into the conversion, you may need more of these than you might think. Even the rear hubs may be helpful if/when you go to a five-lug wheel conversion.

When you're done with your conversion, you can always sell the extra parts on eBay or on the classifieds here or on the Birdboards!
tscrihfield
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Feb 11 2013, 06:31 PM) *

When I did my conversion, I used a rusted 75 Targa for a donor. I'd be sure to keep the engine, transmission, half shafts, front struts (or entire front suspension system). I'd also keep the shift mechanism, pedal cluster, and all the gauges. Depending how involved you want to get into the conversion, you may need more of these than you might think. Even the rear hubs may be helpful if/when you go to a five-lug wheel conversion.

When you're done with your conversion, you can always sell the extra parts on eBay or on the classifieds here or on the Birdboards!

That's definately the plan, but any clue on what I should pay for the car? Actual value. I don't want to rob the guy he seems to be a nice fellow but I also don't want to give money away. I honestly have no clue on the worth...

Thomas
rfuerst911sc
I'd offer 1500.00
tscrihfield
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Feb 11 2013, 06:50 PM) *

I'd offer 1500.00

I just got off the phone with a buddy... Dave Concklin who said the exact same thing!

Thanks,
Thomas
pcar916
What kind of mileage is on that powertrain? I had a carburated 2.7L, also from a '75 car, in my 914 when I bought it. It was excellent, but the PO had had the engine totally bulletproofed (via the Bruce Andersen "E" specs in his book. That included better head studs/timecerts, head work, cams, a larger oil pump and even the shuffle-pins one really doesn't need as much as once was thought.

I loved that engine and traded it (along with some cash in his general direction) for the current 3.6 to friend of mine, at his request, when he wanted it for his track 911 built to class rules.

I've built several since then and here's my take. It's a fine engine when rebuilt around it's faults. It's on the outside of what it's magnesium case can handle so time-certs and deleting the dilivar studs are a requirement. Unless you know exactly what engine work has been done I would go for a 3.0, 3.2, or, if your budget can do it, a 3.6 liter engine every time.

A rebuild on the 2.7 including the machine work needed to insure that the case-halves go together and the bearing journals are right and with all of the shop work you'll need, it's as much or more $ to build as a 3.0 or a 3.2 liter engine... and it won't last as many miles until the next rebuild as the later engines will. I'd get a newer one but it'll be a fun machine any way you cut it.

You'll get a lot of miles from the other parts on the car no matter what you do just for conversion goodies if they're in good shape.

If the engine is a core, I'd offer him $1000-$1500 based on the restoration costs. Redoing one of those drivetrains is very expensive. You can use the front struts, the transaxle flanges, stub axles, and rear rotors to do your 100mm CV and 5-lug conversion regardless of the engine transplant.

Good luck
tscrihfield
Thanks for the info Pcar!

I am trying to keep the engine at 2.7 or smaller for the class I'd run in. Preferably build a 2.5 out of it. A friend has a 2.5 that makes great power. If the plan works out I'd like to try it, but we will see.

Thanks again,
Thomas
pcar916
Not all '75's were weak. If you can find a good aluminum 2.4 (like from an early '75 or a '74... can't remember which) and build it up then that'll be a stronger package. The other car will be good for the rest of those conversion bits though, if they're salvageable, including (as stated above) the instrumentation.

brant
there aren't any aluminum (original) 2.4 motors..
they quit doing aluminum blocks in 1968
so 69-77 are all magnesium

there are 2 different ways to build a 2.5
one is a short stroke motor, the other a big bore on a 2.4(long stroke)
rebuilding any motor is pricey
so rebuilding the 2.7 is not going to be cheap. The Mag cased motors probably cost the most to rebuild due to the machine work. and is one of the reasons reasons that people go 3.0 or bigger

sixnotfour
In 74 there was a 911 and a 911S.. one has bigger ports and cams and aluminum brake calipers. The 911 has 911T front brakes and previous mentioned less power motor.
carr914
QUOTE(brant @ Feb 11 2013, 08:18 PM) *

there aren't any aluminum (original) 2.4 motors..
they quit doing aluminum blocks in 1968
so 69-77 are all magnesium

there are 2 different ways to build a 2.5
one is a short stroke motor, the other a big bore on a 2.4(long stroke)
rebuilding any motor is pricey
so rebuilding the 2.7 is not going to be cheap. The Mag cased motors probably cost the most to rebuild due to the machine work. and is one of the reasons reasons that people go 3.0 or bigger

agree.gif

If you're going Racing start with an Aluminum Case - Heavier but Stronger. Magnesium gets brittle as it ages. Good for a Street Car, Bad for Racing!
Randal
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Feb 11 2013, 04:19 PM) *

What kind of mileage is on that powertrain? I had a carburated 2.7L, also from a '75 car, in my 914 when I bought it. It was excellent, but the PO had had the engine totally bulletproofed (via the Bruce Andersen "E" specs in his book. That included better head studs/timecerts, head work, cams, a larger oil pump and even the shuffle-pins one really doesn't need as much as once was thought.

I loved that engine and traded it (along with some cash in his general direction) for the current 3.6 to friend of mine, at his request, when he wanted it for his track 911 built to class rules.

I've built several since then and here's my take. It's a fine engine when rebuilt around it's faults. It's on the outside of what it's magnesium case can handle so time-certs and deleting the dilivar studs are a requirement. Unless you know exactly what engine work has been done I would go for a 3.0, 3.2, or, if your budget can do it, a 3.6 liter engine every time.

A rebuild on the 2.7 including the machine work needed to insure that the case-halves go together and the bearing journals are right and with all of the shop work you'll need, it's as much or more $ to build as a 3.0 or a 3.2 liter engine... and it won't last as many miles until the next rebuild as the later engines will. I'd get a newer one but it'll be a fun machine any way you cut it.

You'll get a lot of miles from the other parts on the car no matter what you do just for conversion goodies if they're in good shape.

If the engine is a core, I'd offer him $1000-$1500 based on the restoration costs. Redoing one of those drivetrains is very expensive. You can use the front struts, the transaxle flanges, stub axles, and rear rotors to do your 100mm CV and 5-lug conversion regardless of the engine transplant.

Good luck

+ 1 on a 3.6.

Once installed they will last forever and need about zero maintenance. And with 300HP they are just stunningly fast.

I also love 2.7, after all the mods have been done. They just scream, but once you drive a 3.6 in the same car there is no comparison. biggrin.gif
pcar916
QUOTE(brant @ Feb 11 2013, 07:18 PM) *

... there aren't any aluminum (original) 2.4 motors...

I stand corrected, thanks Brant. (reminder to self, RTFM history before answering stuff on the fly). All else is correct, stick with aluminum engine cases. You'll be far a happier camper. beerchug.gif
Van914
Thomas,
Buy it for $1,500.
You will not be sorry.
Van914
tscrihfield
QUOTE(Van914 @ Feb 12 2013, 02:00 PM) *

Thomas,
Buy it for $1,500.
You will not be sorry.
Van914

I talked with guy. I'm picking it up Saturday and will commence to stripping it over the next few weeks. I will respond to all of the PMs about parts when I get a grasp on what is there.

Thanks,
Thomas
914itis
Can I send back the boxter wheels in exchange for the fuchs? Lol
tscrihfield
QUOTE(914itis @ Feb 13 2013, 08:11 PM) *

Hehe! Unfortunately don't have a use for them, but I could make you a deal? Are you interested?

Thomas
bigkensteele
QUOTE(tscrihfield @ Feb 13 2013, 04:36 PM) *

QUOTE(Van914 @ Feb 12 2013, 02:00 PM) *

Thomas,
Buy it for $1,500.
You will not be sorry.
Van914

I talked with guy. I'm picking it up Saturday and will commence to stripping it over the next few weeks. I will respond to all of the PMs about parts when I get a grasp on what is there.

Thanks,
Thomas

Let me know if you want some company when you strip it down. I might be able to find some time.
sixnotfour
Bright trim and swing out windows.......good $$$
tscrihfield
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Well.... This is it. We will see how it goes....

Thomas
beech4rd
The rear of that car has a couple of valuable parts. The Euro / 1974 bumper with the small bumperettes will sell easily, and if you are very careful removing it, (lots of soaking with PB blaster or similar) the rear reflector is NLA right now and hard to find in good condition.

Chris
Spoke
Looks nice. The Fuchs alone have to worth north of $500.
Spoke
QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 17 2013, 06:11 PM) *

Looks nice. The Fuchs alone have to be worth north of $500.

914itis
QUOTE(tscrihfield @ Feb 13 2013, 08:13 PM) *

QUOTE(914itis @ Feb 13 2013, 08:11 PM) *

Hehe! Unfortunately don't have a use for them, but I could make you a deal? Are you interested?

Thomas

Pm me and let me know what kind of deal you can make. They are the right color too . How is the condition? Especially the red portions? We're they painted or powder coated?
falconfp2001
QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 17 2013, 03:11 PM) *

Looks nice. The Fuchs alone have to worth north of $500.

Those Fuchcs look good for a narrow body car. I'd be interested.
KENNY
I would love to restore that 911. Value has gone up on old 911.
Porschef
I bought a 75 911s in California in 1990. Had no idea it was considered to be the weakest of all 911's.... confused24.gif

Drove it cross country in 4 days. The thing never skipped a beat. Got it back to NY eventually, and thrashed the thing for two years. Sold it to buy a house.

Wish I still had it. Spent it's whole life in Santa Monica/Malibu canyon. Not a rattle or tapping to be heard, it was a blast from 3-6k, and it made my BIL go out and get a 930....

For 1500 it makes a great setup for when you're ready to dump a significantly higher amount for a larger displacement engine.

Or so I've read...
tscrihfield
Thanks guys for all of your input. I am going to be in the process of stripping this thing over the next couple weeks. I have some friends interested in parts like the trans and trailing arms, so those are spoken for. As for the Fuchs they are 16s, and My friend dave said they are probably something like $150-200 a wheel. They are not damaged at all but will need refinished though.

Things that will be going up are brakes, front suspension, drive axles, gauges and so forth. I am not even sure if the engine is sticking around yet. I'll keep all posted on what I end up doing and what parts will be available once I put a price on them.

The shell will come available Kenny. However, I will build a cart for it to roll around because no suspension will be on this when I'm finished.

Thomas
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.