Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AFR Cable Route
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Highland
I was just wondering how everyone is running their AFR cable into the cabin. The only way I can see to do it is to drill a hole in the firewall and run the cable through the center tunnel.

Is there a better way? I'd rather not put more holes in my car if I don't need to. It is an Innovate AFR meter.

Thanks.
'73-914kid
Are you installing it permanently, or temporarily?
michael7810
I also have the Innovate and ran mine thru the speedo cable hole. Had to modify the grommet slightly to make room. I had to buy the longer cable as the one that came with the unit was about 18" short.
mrbubblehead
I drilled a hole.
Gint
My snorkle is all busted up anyway, so I ran mine through it and into the tunnel. But I'm not happy with that. I was wondering what others have done myself.

So... icon_bump.gif
76-914
Drill a hole and use a grommet. I'll post a pic tonight if no one else has by then.

EDIT: Here ya go. As you can see I've violated this one many times. There is a ton of room there. Remove the access cover on top of the tunnel by the firewall. Look down there with a lite and mirror if necessary. Just try to avoid the area that is doubled. If you drill 1/2 single layer and 1/2 double layer your grommet won't seal as well. As far as your AFR goesyou will need to split a grommet or use one grommet within another and blk silicone to seal. The connector on the cable is larger than the cable it comes off of.

Click to view attachment
jim_hoyland
Really easy. Ran the cable into the snorkel, up the tunnel and to the gauge. My innovate cable was just long enough. Helped to have a coat hanger wire and flashlight: a second set of hands would have also been good.

flash914
Pushed mine in through speedo cable then the cable broke so I had to do it all over. Flash
dfelz
Newb alert, whats the snorkel!?!

And 76-914.... which of the many wires is the AFR cable?? is it the one that looks like it has the grommet with in another grommet loosely, on the left side of that cluster f**k of cables, haha.

76-914
QUOTE(dfelz @ Feb 14 2013, 10:12 PM) *

Newb alert, whats the snorkel!?!

And 76-914.... which of the many wires is the AFR cable?? is it the one that looks like it has the grommet with in another grommet loosely, on the left side of that cluster f**k of cables, haha.

That's it before the black silicone to glue it in place.
brant
on the race car:
I used the heater tube
comes out in the speaker area
ruby914
On the lower back firewall there are 2 areas where the double walls come together.
As I recall, it makes about a 1.2" diameter recess, one on the drivers side one on the passenger side. I drilled about a 1" hole in both of these. Because I cut out where Porsche spot welded the two walls together, I re-welded the ID of the hole. I was able to get the AFR and very large suby connectors through the firewall this way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.