Good enough for Crankshaft end play?

Thanks
John
Randal
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Feb 12 2013, 08:59 AM) *

Thanks
John

About the only way to know is to test them against "known" good dial indicators. And I mean dial indicators that have been professionally tested and certified to be accurate.

On the other hand I don't think any of the engine builders I know would be happy measuring end play with anything but a professionally rated device.
wndsnd
I agree, but I am just slopping the dANNY HUNTER Running 1.7 back together with new seals for a cheap interim engine.. Don't want to spend more money on the tool than the engine......... I am being cheap.... biggrin.gif
worn
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Feb 12 2013, 08:59 AM) *

Thanks
John

Yes, they are good enough. The thing is, prove it for yourself. Put a feeler gauge under one, and see what it says. Then try a few more. If you aren't happy they will take it back, and it is only fifteen bucks anyway.
I am a scientist, not an engineer. We get numbers from instruments costing a million bucks. They vary from sample to sample, and even running the same sample more than once. So keep in mind that any time you measure something the accuracy and precision of the instrument are only some of the limitations. Averaging can be very important, and even more important are chasing down sources of error and variation, such as how do you attach the indicator in the first place.
Valy
I got one that I tested and it's accurate. I measured the thickness of feeler gauges.
The biggest problem in those setups is the stand, not the dial. The stand can move and flex much more than the dial precision.
An other issue is the angle you measure at. If the dial is not perfectly vertical then you get a wrong reading.
Mark Henry
There is a cheap tool you can get, any VW bug shop should have it.
It bolts to the case and just uses a threaded screw and your feeler gauges.

IPB Image
toolguy
I've tested the Harbor Freight Digital Calipers against my Mitutoyo's numerous times. . they are consistently just as accurate unless they have been abused. . same goes for the dial indicators. . . I do use their digital 'dial' indicators, and used it on my cam timing. . . worked perfectly. . and easy to read. . IIRC, it was on sale for around $20
wndsnd
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 12 2013, 01:30 PM) *

IPB Image

This looks to be the ticket!
DBCooper
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Feb 12 2013, 10:43 AM) *
This looks to be the ticket!

It is.

The HF freight stuff works just like the good stuff, and usually just as well, but not for nearly as long.
wndsnd
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 12 2013, 01:30 PM) *

IPB Image

I ordered this feeler guage tool from CB. Thanks guys. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.