Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vinyl Spray Pint Prep
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
I bought a tan interior about 2 years ago and used Krylon Vinyl paint to bring it back to black. Normal prep in wash with degreaser and soap got it really clean. To this day it looks like the original black interior...except for the center pad between the seats.

That pad keeps fading back to tan. I've cleaned it and respray it every 3-4 months. It's too low for an arm rest so it's not sweaty palms syndrom. The paint does not chip off, it just fades into neverland.

Suggestions on stopping the fade? Anyone experiencing this too? Thanks
bulitt
I'm thinking its not fading, but wearing off. You probably are not getting a chemical bond to the vinyl. Normally you would remove all the waxes/cleaners, scuff the surface, remove all the contaminants,apply primer, then paint, all within the manufacturers time window. Don't know the answer but possibly they make a product to promote adhesion you could use on the vinyl before painting ?
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Feb 12 2013, 12:17 PM) *

I bought a tan interior about 2 years ago and used Krylon Vinyl paint to bring it back to black. Normal prep in wash with degreaser and soap got it really clean. To this day it looks like the original black interior...except for the center pad between the seats.

That pad keeps fading back to tan. I've cleaned it and respray it every 3-4 months. It's too low for an arm rest so it's not sweaty palms syndrom. The paint does not chip off, it just fades into neverland.

Not sure whats happening, but I know that acrylic paint, like the stuff sold in the craft section at Walmart usually clings very well to vinyl. Never tried it on interior stuff on a car, but I did paint a whole recliner with it once. Never peeled at all.
02loftsmoor
Bill could you recover the pad with black ?? Wes

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Feb 12 2013, 11:17 AM) *

bulitt
Your local Flaps probably sells This Dupli-color vinyl paint which has adhesion promoter mixed in. -- Dupli-color Vinyl Paint

Click on their "application tips" link half way down the page.
bandjoey
Well Duh Wes. Slap me with vinyl! That answer was too easy. I'm out to the upholstery store tomorrow. The pad will be easy to recover. biggrin.gif
The rest of the car worked great with no color change in a year.

Thanks Bill
02loftsmoor

I have a staple gun if you need one, an air one.

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Feb 12 2013, 07:18 PM) *

Well Duh Wes. Slap me with vinyl! That answer was too easy. I'm out to the upholstery store tomorrow. The pad will be easy to recover. biggrin.gif
The rest of the car worked great with no color change in a year.

Thanks Bill

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.