Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steam cleaning with engine out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jeff Bonanno
Got a quick question - I errantly forewent the initial steamcleaning that everyone suggests for project cars and now have an incredibly greasy and oily engine out on the dolly.

barf.gif

My neighbor offered to haul it with me to a carwash which does degreasing and steamcleaning. If we do this, what should I watch out for? I intend to rebuilld the top end and tranny but not split the case. I'm hesitant to steam clean it now as any water which gets in will be there for a while.

Jeff
Brad Roberts
Brake cleaner to knock off the top lair and hold off on steam cleaning it until your closer to putting it back in.

In my opinion.. the steam cleaning isnt the hot ticket (no pun intended) It pushes the loose stuff off the engine.. but just smears the grime around. The brake cleaner will break it loose and allow it to be washed off with a low pressure garden hose. The tranny will be different story.. buy a hand held (without the stick) tire brush and plan on throwing it away when you are done..

B
Bleyseng
After you clean it, bring it back to the garage. Flip it up on the flywheel for couple of hours then lay it back down. Break the motor down soon after you clean it. You don't want the flywheel to rust.
A real steam cleaner will blow/melt off the grease. A car wash just smears it around.
Geoff
Jeff Bonanno
Thanks B and Geoff. I'm sure I'll have a host of other questions as I get into it!

Jeff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.