Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.8 Compared to 1.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kaduku
Okay I know most will say 1.7s are better, but can I get some informative opinions please.
Kaduku
The reason why I am asking is because a car I was about to purchase suddenly had a 1.8 instead of a 1.7 that I previously told.
nathansnathan
I think the big difference is if it is fuel injected still, 1.8 will be ljet where 1.7 is djet.
tod914
From the few that I driven, the 1.8 with it's L-jet is a smoother running engine than both the 1.7 and 2.0. To me, there really isn't a power band. It's consistantly slow throughout it's range. With the 2.0 or 1.7, you'll feel a bump in power 3k +. The 74 model year 1.8 would be a better choice over a 75 due to the weight difference.
dlee6204
QUOTE(tod914 @ Feb 12 2013, 07:49 PM) *

From the few that I driven, the 1.8 with it's L-jet is a smoother running engine than both the 1.7 and 2.0. To me, there really isn't a power band. It's consistantly slow throughout it's range. With the 2.0 or 1.7, you'll feel a bump in power 3k +. The 74 model year 1.8 would be a better choice over a 75 due to the weight difference.

agree.gif what he said. I believe the difference in horsepower originally is only 4. (76 vs 80) so you're not going to feel a power difference but will feel how that power is delivered. And in my experience, L-Jet is the better way to go.
tod914
Just a side note, a healthy 1.7 or 1.8 will have more power than a notso healthy 2.0. So, kind of important to have a compression and leak down check performed on the car your considering for purchase. Years back I flew out to Ohio to look at a 74 2.0. I told the guy to have the test done prior to me flying out. He didn't but said he did. Got out there, the car had a dead cylinder :S. Make sure it's someone you can trust that does it. lol
Valy
I have a 1.8 L-Jet. Parts are available and it runs as a champ.
It's a bit weaker than the 1.7 due to it's lean emission tuning. Bump the AFM 1-2 teeth richer and the power is unleashed smile.gif
KELTY360
Would the characteristics of a 1.8 with d-jet be similar to a 1.7 with d-jet?
r_towle
I have owned all of them.
The 1.8 (from what I recall) is the lowest powered motor of the whole line.
It has the lowest CR also.

The 1.7 feels faster than the 1.8
BUT
Its such a close difference, its really hard to tell.
L-jet is supported better, and its not so hard to diagnose.
D-jet has one hard part to find, the MPS.

It will be fun no matter what the motor is.

To answer Marc,
It would be similar, but the CR is lower on the 1.8,,,
I suspect you would not feel the difference between the two.

I will say that the ljet idles better and has a better lower end smoothness to it versus D-jet.
D-jet seems to be better off after about 2500 rpms....which is cool cause that is cruising rpm,s for most of us.
D-jet always seems to get funky at idle and low end slow starts...

Rich
pnewman
I have owned my 1.8 for quite a while and it is an extremely well maintained L-Jet system. It starts in a crank or two and the idle smooths out quickly. Then it perrrrrrs. It runs all day and night without a hickup.

No complaints ...well.

Unfortunately it has about as much pull as my grandmother. (she's dead.)

I would love to maintain the L-Jet reliability and smoothness that I have experienced while adding power but God giveth and God Taketh away.

Hope my perspective helps.

Good luck.
Chris H.
QUOTE(tod914 @ Feb 12 2013, 06:49 PM) *

From the few that I driven, the 1.8 with it's L-jet is a smoother running engine than both the 1.7 and 2.0. To me, there really isn't a power band. It's consistantly slow throughout it's range. [u] With the 2.0 or 1.7, you'll feel a bump in power 3k +. The 74 model year 1.8 would be a better choice over a 75 due to the weight difference.

lol-2.gif av-943.gif That is the best description of the 1.8L powerplant I have ever heard....LOL!!! " ...consistently slow throughout the power band..."

Especially mine...it has full California Emissions including a CAT!

Kaduku

Unfortunately it has about as much pull as my grandmother. (she's dead.)

Lolololololololol lol-2.gif
Steve Snyder
The horsepower, torque and acceleration comparisons support the "smooth but slow" attributes of the 1.8L that everyone has described: http://www.p914.com/p914_hp.htm
aircooledtechguy
Driving a 1.8L powered car can only make you a better, smother driver since you can't afford to loose momentum EVER. laugh.gif My '75 is a 1.8L l-jet powered road machine that has well over 300K miles on it and still goes strong (strong being a relative term mind you). Once you learn how to be smoother in your driving, you can easily keep up with most other 914-4s in the pack without pissing off too many folks behind you.

The L-jet is flawless. . . I can't say that about almost ANY d-jet car. . . popcorn[1].gif
Kaduku
Okay I get it, 1.8s not the greatest, but what do you guys think of a 1.8 D jet in a 1973 914 (no power reducing smog emissions)?
pnewman
QUOTE(Kaduku @ Feb 14 2013, 11:28 AM) *

Okay I get it, 1.8s not the greatest, but what do you guys think of a 1.8 D jet in a 1973 914 (no power reducing smog emissions)?

Sounds like the worst of both worlds if you were to listen to the previous opinions.

1.8 weak motor but reliable (low Cr).
D-Jet less appreciated of the systems.

...however
Avoiding emissions in the "newer" models is a good move.
Steve Snyder
QUOTE(Kaduku @ Feb 14 2013, 02:28 PM) *

I would ask why there was a 1.8L in a '73. confused24.gif
Then again, if the car is in good shape and the price is right, you can always change the engine later...
Kaduku
QUOTE(Steve Snyder @ Feb 14 2013, 08:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Kaduku @ Feb 14 2013, 02:28 PM) *

I would ask why there was a 1.8L in a '73. confused24.gif
Then again, if the car is in good shape and the price is right, you can always change the engine later...

The owner owned a VW dealership. The car belonged o his wife back in the early 90s. The engine was swapped during that time frame. Unsure really why it was swapped but it is there now. Good news is the body does appear to be rust free. Rocker panels were also removed and are very clean. The does looks amazing and am I told it runs great too. I will see the car in about a week or two.

The plan is one day to change the engine to a 2.0. I will start saving for that....auuuggh.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.