Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How many keys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Rob-O
I'm working through a project where I'm cleaning and restoring all of the locks on my car. I have two brand new Porsche 'black' keys. I also have one 'red' key (not factory).

How many keys did the cars come with originally?

I understand that in this day and age I probably don't really need the red valet keys, but I will be adding the valet wafers to the correct lock cylinders, so I figured I'd order some correct red valet keys too. I just don't know how many came with the car new! unsure.gif
Gustl
two black keys
two red keys

Rob-O
Thanks Gustl!
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Gustl @ Feb 13 2013, 12:27 AM) *

two black keys
two red keys

Agreed!
balljoint
I still have one perfect black key from my car. It was under the carpet at the passenger footrest.

Well I'm not sure if it is perfect-perfect.

If the keys were originally a satin black then it's perfect.

If the keys were originally gloss black then my key is not perfect.

Crossing my fingers for satin black. Does anyone know for sure?
MDG
QUOTE(balljoint @ Feb 13 2013, 09:06 PM) *

I still have one perfect black key from my car. It was under the carpet at the passenger footrest.

Well I'm not sure if it is perfect-perfect.

If the keys were originally a satin black then it's perfect.

If the keys were originally gloss black then my key is not perfect.

Crossing my fingers for satin black. Does anyone know for sure?

More of a semi-gloss I'd say.
Rob-O
Almost an eggshell black, actually. av-943.gif

Seriously though, thanks for the quick responses!
JeffBowlsby
Well technically its a 32.7% gloss.
tod914
lol.. if I break one of my keys, then I'll try a trailing arm in the ignition switch.
Pat Garvey
lol-2.gif
QUOTE(tod914 @ Feb 15 2013, 01:16 PM) *

lol.. if I break one of my keys, then I'll try a trailing arm in the ignition switch.

lol-2.gif
unpolire
Before I go to the dealer tomorrow, does anyone know if factory keys are still available by VIN from Porsche or Porsche Classic? My son has misplaced my only key and I was stunned that my long-time locksmith could not pick my locked trunk lock yesterday after I trailered the 914 to his shop! My key may be in the locked trunk. Locks are all original.
mepstein
QUOTE(unpolire @ Mar 31 2013, 11:46 AM) *

Before I go to the dealer tomorrow, does anyone know if factory keys are still available by VIN from Porsche or Porsche Classic? My son has misplaced my only key and I was stunned that my long-time locksmith could not pick my locked trunk lock yesterday after I trailered the 914 to his shop! My key may be in the locked trunk. Locks are all original.

Lots of ratchet extensions from the back of the engine lid to the trunk lock to unbolt the latch and open the trunk lid.
unpolire
[/quote]
Lots of ratchet extensions from the back of the engine lid to the trunk lock to unbolt the latch and open the trunk lid.
[/quote]
Well, that's a answer that I did not expect! I will give it a try...thank you!
unpolire
[/quote]
[/quote]
That worked! Harbor Freight sells an extra-long 3-pc. extension kit, with an included 24" 3/8" extension, for $12.99 (the other 2 are 1/4 drive). With two additional shorter extensions, I easily got both bolts out and my trunk open! Most dangerous part was releasing those torsion bar trunk springs. One released with a "BANG" that brought my wife out of the house and down our long drive to see what had happened! Normally done with the trunk lid UP, I assume!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.