Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Now It's Just the Blue Smoke Issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lawrencedesigns
My previous post about misfire after ignition system r&r has been solved.
My dummy mechanic (looking in the mirror) did not have the points spade connector firmly attached.

But I still have a lot of blue smoke, indicating oil...rings?
But I don't think I had that before...
So unless I popped a ring during the 3500 rpm timing runs...what gives?
I have pulled all of the vacuum/smog lines.
Motor runs strong and pulls hard...but still the blue smoke.

You guys are the best! Any ideas?

Keeth Lawrence
76 914 2.0
84 Alfa Spyder Veloce
TheCabinetmaker
Have you done a compression test? Sounds like rings to me.
redshift
You just built this motor?

M
lawrencedesigns
Oh no. The motor is quite old. Restoration project I bought recently. I just replaced all of the ignition elements.
I guess a rebuild may be in order...
Or perhaps sell the whole project....
nebreitling
compression test/leakdown time.

if the car is just missing a good running motor, i wouldn't shove the project.
SirAndy
valves adjusted?
oil changed? any water in the oil when changed? oil in the throttle plenum? oil on the heat-exchangers?

valve guides? rings?

idea.gif Andy
lawrencedesigns
Andy,
Throttle plenium? Yes, I wondered about that.
When I removed the air filter and looked down the barrel, there is quite a bit of oil down in there.
No where on earth did that come from? And that would probably be a damned good source of blue smoke, now wouldn't it?
And yes, she is leaking oil and its on the exchangers...but this major blue smoke is coming from withing the tailpipe..
nebreitling
i'd still go straight to a compression/leakdown test.

i just pulled the plenum off my non-smoking, running motor and was shocked at how much oil/junk was in there!
SirAndy
QUOTE(lawrencedesigns @ Nov 14 2004, 05:56 PM)
where on earth did that come from?

the crank case ventilation goes straight to the air-cleaner ...

if you have a lot of oil/vapors coming out of the case, it'll accumulate in the plenum and it can add oil to the air/fuel mix ...

wink.gif Andy
rick 918-S
To expand on Sir Andy's response. You may already know this, but you need to becareful about the oil smoke. The excess oil will delute the fuel/air mixture and cause a lean condition and damage to the valves and pistons.
lawrencedesigns
Finally got to the compression test. Unfortunately, could only do it cold because I have some things dis-assembled.
Came up
1 - 140 lbs
2 - 140 lbs
3 - 120 lbs
4 - 140 lbs.

Quite surprising actually. A few squirts of oil down pesky #3 brought it up to 130.

But I don't think rings...Remeber this all started after I took everything apart to replace ignition elements...
And the car was leaking oil like crazy.
Maybe oil in the heat exchangers.

And the smoke is not always blue...Have some major BLACK smoke coming out...
And one plug was really oily wet...
I think I will keep this project (I'm addicted now) but I need some help.

Keeth Lawrence
76 914 2.0
84 Alfa Spyder
SirAndy
QUOTE(lawrencedesigns @ Nov 20 2004, 04:16 PM)
Have some major BLACK smoke coming out...
And one plug was really oily wet...

way too rich ...
at least on that one cylinder ...

idea.gif Andy
lawrencedesigns
So how did I get it too rich? No jets to fool with. Did tinker with the screw adjustment at the throttle opening.
Could I have messed up the injector timing when I had the distributor out?

Keeth Lawrence
76 914 2.0
84 Alfa Spyder
SirAndy
QUOTE(lawrencedesigns @ Nov 20 2004, 04:54 PM)
Could I have messed up the injector timing when I had the distributor out?

is the spark good on that cylinder? cap, rotor, points, plugs, wires & boots all in good working order?

did you check the grounds? what's the shape of your engine harness? any cracked/brittle wires?

idea.gif Andy
Bruce Allert
Did you hapen to connect one of the head breather hoses to a vacuum source? That can cause smoke.

.....b
lawrencedesigns
I just may have, I need to check that hose diagram.
However, all of the hoses are disconnected now, and she still smokes....

KL
lawrencedesigns
So, looking at the diagrams posted here...I am not sure which ones would be the "head breather hoses>'
Where do I look?
Bruce Allert
The hoses are attached to a metal hose type protrusion. (can't think of any way else to say it!) One comes out near the #2 injector (drivers side front) and the other is by the #3 injector (pass. side) near the rear. They go up to the flash back valve, a 3 way hose connection unit. A hose from the air cleaner goes to the 3rd part of the 3 way. If you have a Haynes manual it shows a diagram. Pictures would help but I have none. Can get pics in the morning if need be.

good luck beer.gif

......b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.