Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can’t see the trees for the forest
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JawjaPorsche
Has anyone noticed that Ebay has gotten cluttered with crap that you can buy at your local auto parts: plugs, bearings, filters, etc.

Also, it is getting hard to find a good deal. They are out there but they are becoming as scarce as hen’s teeth. When I was restoring my teener last year, I found some great deals: $137 for stainless steel exchangers and $350 for five Mahles with new tires!

Now some of these vendors are trying to fund their child’s scholarship with one sale!

I have found that 914World’s classifies are the best way to go now.
VaccaRabite

It comes and goes, as is the nature of an online market place.

Mark Henry
Depends on the item, price on Porsche stuff is mostly outrageous. Some other stuff (more common, more competition) are great to OK price.
Up here you really have to watch the shipping seems like there's a lot of profiteering on inflated shipping charges.
wndsnd
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 13 2013, 08:02 AM) *

Depends on the item, price on Porsche stuff is mostly outrageous. Some other stuff (more common, more competition) are great to OK price.
Up here you really have to watch the shipping seems like there's a lot of profiteering on inflated shipping charges.

You are right Mark,

My company made a deal with UPS. They bill us, we add to invoices, then we get a discounted bill. So, there is profit in the shipping. But we are shipping 80M in product a year. Company also recently said no more billing to customers accounts. Keep the profits up! However, since we get a reduced rate on volume, in theory, the customer pays the same for freight.

John
MoveQik
Only thing that i have noticed is that eBay is painfully slow to low on my Mac. Every other site loads immediately but eBay.....ZZZzzzzzzz.....
DBCooper
E-bay is really proud of all the new vendors/sales of new product from internet retailers, the new wave of internet commerce intended to supplant local retailers. Unfortunately that leaves the rest of us from the old "auction" era out in the cold. Try switching off all the "buy it now" items to see only the auction items. It's thinner now than it used to be, but those are the items and sellers from the old "auction" era. It's the only way to find a deal there any more.
7TPorsh
This was the whole reason I created Porshster.com. No clutter.
Tom_T
What!!?? ....you don't want a bobbling hula girl or pole dancer for your 914 dash!!?? lol-2.gif

The big corp. vendors have the time, $ & staff to load up every possible keyword to game the system & probably pay yo come on top of the list.

Since they tend to list in bulk, you can sort by date & skip past them in bulk too.

Unfortunately some of the reputable P-car parts vendors on evil-bay who do list buy it now for parts (DNW or whatever that parts house in the PNW is comes to mind), so cutting buy it now items out also cuts out those vendors - who sometimes have good to okay deals too.

There also seem to be more "old eBay" auction vendors willing to misrepresent the type, condition & quality of their auction items & cars FS, cuz evil-bay doesn't do stromberg.gif to enforce anything, & it only gets to be more of the wild wild west on there! dry.gif
shoguneagle
I have bought items via the E-Bay because they were there and handy. Pricing was reasonable to high; had to watch what you are buying and that each transaction was a good deal. Out of the large amount of parts I bought, I had two incidents: on vendor honestly said he could not provide the part in the condition advertised - honesty pays and let him off with excellent recommendations; the other - just would not respond to large communications effort so I took him to the claims action and got the transaction cancelled with money refunded. I do not sell on E-Bay!!

I like to sell extra parts on the 914world, Pelican, and similar boards where Porsche people trade and give advice. I find I can fairly price my items, get them sold to good homes, and buy more. I also purchase parts from these boards and have had excellent results in transactions, quality, shipping, etc. I have always had excellent transactions both buying and selling on these boards.

I do not use Craig's List.

Steve
'73-914kid
I've never sold anything on ebay, nor do I plan to, but I have purchased some things that were really good deals.. The trick is just knowing exactly what you're looking for, and not going for anything unless you absolutely know what the value is.. I mean, I picked up a set of 4 New Inglese emulsion tubes for $20 shipped.. you just have to filter through the bullshit to find the deals.
rjames
Part of the problem I think is that Ebay's high seller fees are making some of the non-vendor sellers turn to places like craig's list. I rarely list items on Ebay any more because I end up taking a huge hit on the final sale price.
FourBlades

In five years of trolling for parts for 3 cars I have found the best deals are usually on 914 world classifieds.

I don't even cruise ebay anymore because it is so cluttered with cheap junk and ridiculously expensive decent stuff. Look at the silly prices some places charge for simple stuff like front a arms, $500 for a part that is $50 from 914world sellers. av-943.gif

John

914Sixer
Yes, I am also tired of the crap now showing up. There must be some way to filter out the BS. I think there were something like 14k entries showing up for 914's. Many of the listing DO NOT even fit the 914. Then there is the used stuff prices that are from brain dead morons.
JawjaPorsche
DB Cooper said try switching off all the "buy it now" items to see only the auction items. I tried it and it is amazing how much was filtered out.

Type Porsche 914 then click blue search button then click Advanced to the right of Search, under Buying Formats click Auction, then click Search at bottom.
Mike Bellis
Where else can you find a brand new set on Porsche 914 REAR seat belts? confused24.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-Series...=item33752c48e8

WTF.gif

Maybe the Limo project can use them...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.