Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: 901 Trans question - but for a 912
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
I have a friend that is buying some 912s and putting together a driver. He's looking at a trans for sale here locally. Supposedly its a 901 5 for the 912.

What are the differences between a 914 tail shift 901 and the 901 for a 912?

Can you tell the gear sets or ratios without taking out the stack? Can you swap in 914 901 trans bits into a 912 901?

Any other hints/tips/tricks would be appreciated too.

TIA
Bob L.
If it's for a 914 originally, you'll have to flip the differential so it will turn the wheels the right direction for a 912.

Sorry, I can't help identify the gears.
Mark Henry
List I'm using right now, I think there's a better one but I can't find it.
You need the code on the bottom rib of the tranny.

Yes you can swap bands, teeth, gears, etc, but diff and related would need to be re- set.

http://members.rennlist.com/chuxter/901&915ratios.htm
r_towle
tail piece is different
shifter rods internally are different
rear case half is different
Differential is different, and flipped.

For a 912, get the right transmission, they are fairly cheap in comparison to both a 914 and 911 tranny.

You are looking for the 901 tranny.

Rich
KaptKaos
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 13 2013, 03:38 PM) *

tail piece is different
shifter rods internally are different
rear case half is different
Differential is different, and flipped.

For a 912, get the right transmission, they are fairly cheap in comparison to both a 914 and 911 tranny.

You are looking for the 901 tranny.

Rich

People are asking $800 for a 901 5-spd for the 912, which seemed high to me for a non-rebuilt, supposedly "good" core.

Thoughts?
r_towle
EASY in San Fran.
KaptKaos
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 13 2013, 03:42 PM) *

EASY in San Fran.

Not sure what you mean there.
r_towle
Look up on google a company named EASY up near San Francisco.

Call him to check on a price for a 912 transmission.

rich
gms
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Feb 13 2013, 12:51 PM) *

I have a friend that is buying some 912s and putting together a driver. He's looking at a trans for sale here locally. Supposedly its a 901 5 for the 912.

What are the differences between a 914 tail shift 901 and the 901 for a 912?

Can you tell the gear sets or ratios without taking out the stack? Can you swap in 914 901 trans bits into a 912 901?

Any other hints/tips/tricks would be appreciated too.

TIA

I have an aluminum case with differential if you are intrested
I think it is a 1965 date
KaptKaos
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 13 2013, 04:10 PM) *

rich

Rich - I appreciate the help, but looking up Easy on google isn't working. Do you have anything a little more specific?
gms
here is a picture
Click to view attachment
Jeffs9146
european auto salvage yard, emeryville, ca

Easy
Cap'n Krusty
I have a number of good clean 901 and 902 cores available. I was going to go through them and do whatever I had to to make them good drivers, but I'm not really interested in doing that right now. If you're interested in a core, lemme know. If you want one ready to go, I could probably do that, too.

The differences are pretty substantial. Ratios, size of the diff, the case itself, the intermediate plate and nose cover, the shifting mechanism, what have you. The ratios, as delivered, can be decoded from the model number stamped on the bottom.

The Cap'n
r_towle
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Feb 13 2013, 07:19 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 13 2013, 04:10 PM) *

rich

Rich - I appreciate the help, but looking up Easy on google isn't working. Do you have anything a little more specific?

GIYF

I typed EASY, porsche, san francisco

http://www.easypor.com/
Dr Evil
So, a 912 has two main variations with 4 speed, 5 speed, and aluminum vs mag case. The gearing for your stock 914 would be more applicable to todays posted road speeds. The mag case is the newer version with the better parts. The 912 boxes tend to command money because of some of the useful gears they have inside, stock.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.