Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OEL Filter Wrench
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tumamilhem
What's the best oil wrench to use on a 914? I don't have the wrench because I always ended up using my buddy Phil's (some of you guys remember Phil Sparta). So I need to get one but not sure which one is best to use (I remember there were a few different ones, some worked better than others). Suggestions?
JawjaPorsche
I use the Performance Tool Cap Filter Wrench that I got at Advance Auto Parts. Size 93mm. Just put a socket ratchet on it.

Here is similar one:

http://www.northernautoparts.com/ProductMo...uctModelId=2455
Rand
Have you really experienced a problem with the wrench you had? Or have you not tried it?
Tom_T
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Feb 13 2013, 02:03 PM) *

I use the Performance Tool Cap Filter Wrench that I got at Advance Auto Parts. Size 93mm. Just put a socket ratchet on it.

Here is similar one:

agree.gif

The cup type which fits over the end of the filter is best, as in the pic in the link above, but local auto parts or even some auto sections at places like wally-mart have them too.
balljoint
I have three or four different oil filter wrenches. They come in handy depending on which vehicle I am working on and how easy the individual filter is to remove. I have never felt the need to hammer a screwdriver through a filter and commence turning.

They are inexpensive tools that will never be worked so hard that they wear out.

The way that the filters are recessed on these motors means that the end cap style is a good first choice.

And they come in a variety of colours. wink.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Feb 13 2013, 03:03 PM) *

Here is similar one:

agree.gif
type47
I have a "strap" type filter wrench; it has a 3/8" square drive "hole" for an extension; when you wan to unscrew the filter, the strap design tightens on the filter so it would work for a variety of sizes; strap fits nicely on the recessed filter.
tumamilhem
QUOTE(balljoint @ Feb 13 2013, 10:42 PM) *

I have three or four different oil filter wrenches. They come in handy depending on which vehicle I am working on and how easy the individual filter is to remove. I have never felt the need to hammer a screwdriver through a filter and commence turning.

They are inexpensive tools that will never be worked so hard that they wear out.

The way that the filters are recessed on these motors means that the end cap style is a good first choice.

And they come in a variety of colours. wink.gif

Just like our cars. wink.gif
tumamilhem
QUOTE(type47 @ Feb 14 2013, 07:57 AM) *

I have a "strap" type filter wrench; it has a 3/8" square drive "hole" for an extension; when you wan to unscrew the filter, the strap design tightens on the filter so it would work for a variety of sizes; strap fits nicely on the recessed filter.

That's what I used before.
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Feb 14 2013, 09:09 AM) *

QUOTE(type47 @ Feb 14 2013, 07:57 AM) *

That's what I used before.

I have used a strap filter wrench too but the Cap Filter Wrench makes your job much easier. There is not much space around the filter when installed to get the strap wrench on. The Cap Filter Wrench cost less than $5 too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.