Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Custom Gauge Ideas
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Britain Smith
I have gotten pretty far in the wiring of the car and I am now at the point of figuring out which wires I need to run for the gauges. Yes, I know this is a 912 but since it will have a type-4 engine I need a CHT gauge. I have the combo oil temp/pressure gauge as you can see in the picture. I also have a boost gauge for the turbo side of things. I was thinking of dumping the oil level indicator in the far left gauge since I am not running a dry sump and therefore do not have a external oil tank. Does anyone know if there is a CHT gauge that I can get custom fit in there by Palo Alto Speedo?

I also have another tach that is the 930 style with the boost gauge in it, I could have them redo that for another gauge also. I wonder if it would be possible to integrate a air/fuel ratio gauge in there? I have seen people put volt meters in there, do you think that a volt meter is necessary? Share you ideas and show me what you got...

-Britain

IPB Image

This is the gauge that I want to change:
IPB Image

Here are some gauges off Palo Alto Speedometer and Hollywood Speedo sites:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Aaron Cox
use the 930 tach w/ fuel

get a cyl temp / egt made for the small old fuel gauge...
Britain Smith
Thats a good idea. Any ideas if a CHT and/or EGT would fit properly in that gauge? Has anyone done this?

-Britain
Aaron Cox
jake uses those airplane gauges westach or something. see if palo alto can use the egt/cht combo and put it in a nice package (ala 911 gauge)
lapuwali
Replace that huge boost gauge with a 3" Westach gauge cluster that has three or four gauges in it. Should be enough for anything you can think of. You could do CHT, EGT, volts, and manifold pressure all where the clock normally goes. Jake has one of these in his 912E that has right/left CHT, oil temp, and oil pressure.

I don't think PA Speedo messes with CHT gauges.
mightyohm
I have a VDO CHT gauge (separate gauge mounted under the dash) and I am not 100% satisfied with the quality. The problem is it is a thermocouple gauge and the movement is very sensitive. I have had the needle get stuck a couple times and had to take it out and bang on it to get it working again. I don't think the VDO unit is something I'd want to spend a ton on fitting into a gauge cluster. A far better solution would be a gauge that is powered and has an integrated amplifier to drive the needle, unlike the VDO type which operates off the voltage of the thermocouple alone (no +12V connection).
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Nov 14 2004, 12:50 PM)
Share you ideas and show me what you got...

Mine is fairly stock and similar to yours.
I would be happy to dump the clock in place of something more useful.
I'll keep watching this thread to see what ideas everybody else has.
Britain Smith
come on guys...914 peeps are the king of stuff as much info into the three gauges that they have...show me some pictures.

-Britain
Joe Bob
Yeah...that's it....my 911 has a Westach head temp and volt meter....gave the clock to mark Brittel. The gauge was a little slimmer than the hole....little blue tape build up and it was snug.
lapuwali
OK, stolen from STF, this is Jake's setup:
nebreitling
apparently the same stuff (under a different name) on this site:

http://www.pro-flo.com/proflo_egt_gauges.htm

they've got all sorts of cool egt/cht combos

IPB Image
Jake Raby
Westach will build anything you want. I bought that quad gauge and all senders for less than 4 separate VDO gauges!
Brad Smith
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Nov 14 2004, 12:50 PM)
I have gotten pretty far in the wiring of the car and I am now at the point of figuring out which wires I need to run for the gauges. Yes, I know this is a 912 but since it will have a type-4 engine I need a CHT gauge. I have the combo oil temp/pressure gauge as you can see in the picture. I also have a boost gauge for the turbo side of things. I was thinking of dumping the oil level indicator in the far left gauge since I am not running a dry sump and therefore do not have a external oil tank. Does anyone know if there is a CHT gauge that I can get custom fit in there by Palo Alto Speedo?

I also have another tach that is the 930 style with the boost gauge in it, I could have them redo that for another gauge also. I wonder if it would be possible to integrate a air/fuel ratio gauge in there? I have seen people put volt meters in there, do you think that a volt meter is necessary? Share you ideas and show me what you got...

-Britain

IPB Image

This is the gauge that I want to change:
IPB Image

Here are some gauges off Palo Alto Speedometer and Hollywood Speedo sites:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

For the A/F ratio, the guys on the RX-7 club site use a series of LED's in a thin little box. You make the device yourself for VERY low cost, and it's tiny and stealthy. Any of the green LED's indicate rich, yellow as you approach stoichemetric (sp?) and red as it becomes lean. Works great, you don't have to look at a needle. Yellow is ok, but red is bad, back out of it. Mount it on top of the steering column- it's too small to obsruct any gauges. It works off an "extra" oxygen sensor.

Brad
lapuwali
That Pro-Flo gauge is made by Westach. They do a lot of OEM stuff for various people. Like Jake said, they'll make anything for you custom. Mom and Pop place up in Sonoma that does car, marine, and aircraft stuff.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.