Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: new cap screws for mirror
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
siverson
Yes, my car is still in a million pieces, but I had to order some other hardware and these always bothered me. Even when new I seem to mangle them with the wrong screwdriver.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/3103/=lgxhms

Ok, maybe I should get the suspension and drive train back in now...

-Steve
Chris H.
Thanks for the info! Those look great. Never seen mirror screws that weren't slightly mangled either.
JmuRiz
That's nice, I have two good ones and two mangled ones when I disassembled my car.

What size did you get...just wondering, as my car isn't with me at the moment.
siverson
M6 x 12. This one:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#cadinlnord/93395a354/=lhec4g

I love their web site. smile.gif

-Steve
johnpierre
So cool that you have sorted that out. My screws are rusted out. But the way when I go to replace the screw will anything fall to the bottom of the door? Do i have to take the door panel off or can I just change out the screws one at a time with out any issues? Thanks again for the tip jp.
dlkawashima
There should be threaded holes inside the door skin and the screws should thread into them.
rfuerst911sc
Did you alter the finish on the mirror base ? I thought they were chrome like the mirror housing ? I do like the idea of the screws you are using.
jersey914
Did you drill out to hit those thread locations or were the holes already there? The PO over 74' filled them in with weld so I cant drill out from the inside. the bit just rolls of the weld. It also piratically impossible to drill what you cant see.

WTF.gif
siverson
> But the way when I go to replace the screw will anything fall to the bottom of the door?

No. AFAIK, all doors have the nuts welded to the inside, it's just most don't have the passenger side holes drilled yet.

> Do i have to take the door panel off or can I just change out the screws one at a time with out any issues?

Right, just one at a time. It's super easy.

> Did you alter the finish on the mirror base ? I thought they were chrome like the mirror housing?

Right - that mirror is weird. All I've seen are chrome everywhere, as is my driver side. This was a NOS mirror I ordered a couple years ago and it just came like this. It bothered me at least, now I just think it's "unique".

> Did you drill out to hit those thread locations or were the holes already there?

I drilled the top door skin several years ago, but like I said above, I'm pretty sure all doors have the nuts welded on the inside, it's just a matter of finding the right spot on top (drill a very small pilot hole from the inside, or measure VERY carefully. smile.gif ).

-Steve

dlkawashima
To find the correct location to drill the holes for the side mirror, I used a spring loaded center punch as mentioned in the thread below. Easy & accurate.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=93657
Drums66
Bump bye1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.