Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Body air scoops
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
I saw these interesting side air scoops on the black convertible saturday and the owner, sorry I forgot your name. said they had been an after market item several years ago.

If you know the product, would you refresh me on the story; it's something I would like to put into my next 914
914werke
Thats the CAR! ohmy.gif
Layout in a VW & Porsche (now EC) artical back in the day.
I kinda like um. Do you have more pics?
Aaron Cox
that was Steve Dee's car

wilco kit he said
914werke
It was White in the artical. As I recal the scoops were necessary due to the soft top filling the area that the tray was.
aircooledboy
Looks like a sharp car. More pics pleez. boldblue.gif
spare time toys
I think it would not be that hard to duplicate these. welder.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(spare time toys @ Nov 14 2004, 05:24 PM)
I think it would not be that hard to duplicate these. welder.gif

looks like the standard ferrary side scoops ...

anyone here who has one we can use to make some FG molds?
biggrin.gif Andy
stevedee
Glad you folks like my car. At first, I was worried about the "purists" in our groups. But since then, I have seen what others have done to their cars, and I got over it. Bottom line, I love this car!

As you know, the scoops had to be added for cooling as a solid top was put in place of the engine door. To be honest, I'm not sure how well they work. The car runs very hot when driving more than 30 miles on days over 90 degrees. But I am new at tuning up this car, so the overheating might just be a mis-adjusted car. I have done the valves once and think I did them right. I changed the points and got the dwell around 45. I had a little trouble with the timing. I would have done better with three hands trying to get the car to stay at 3500 RPM by pulling the throttle cable, holding the light over the hole and moving the dizzy. Anyway, I am getting ready to check all my sensors, as it appears someone jacked with the wiring a bit. I don't trust the PO. The car did not run hot all day Saturday, and we were pushing hard at times. (We were, weren't we?) huh.gif

As you can see, I'm a newbie, and I don't have all the terminology down, but I'll answer your questions as best I can.

Steve/San Diego
gregrobbins
Welcome Steve. How about some more photos of the car. Top up. Top down. Close up of the scoops and a shot of the engine bay would be nice.

Don't worry about not knowing the lingo. There are a dozen guys here who have forgotten more about 914s that most of us will ever know. What we all have in common is a love for 914s and a willingness to help and share.

Again, welcome!
red914
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

i want to add to the chorus requesting more pics. it looks like an awesome car, and you will find that we will enjoy looking at and talking about any and all pics you post! engine, interior, body mods... post 'em, please!
aircooledboy
Sweeeeeeeet! monkeydance.gif

Welcome to the club. A nice little surprise to find your post on this otherwise crappy monday morning. chairfall.gif Anxiously waiting for more pics. You will find the crew here very accepting of most mods. Hell, as we learned yesterday there are damn near 50 members here who have a car with major engine mods alone. clap56.gif

In case nobody mentioned it: more pics pleeeeez laugh.gif aktion035.gif monkeydance.gif
Steve Thacker
QUOTE(stevedee @ Nov 14 2004, 11:59 PM)
Glad you folks like my car. At first, I was worried about the "purists" in our groups. But since then, I have seen what others have done to their cars, and I got over it. Bottom line, I love this car!

As you know, the scoops had to be added for cooling as a solid top was put in place of the engine door. To be honest, I'm not sure how well they work. The car runs very hot when driving more than 30 miles on days over 90 degrees. But I am new at tuning up this car, so the overheating might just be a mis-adjusted car. I have done the valves once and think I did them right. I changed the points and got the dwell around 45. I had a little trouble with the timing. I would have done better with three hands trying to get the car to stay at 3500 RPM by pulling the throttle cable, holding the light over the hole and moving the dizzy. Anyway, I am getting ready to check all my sensors, as it appears someone jacked with the wiring a bit. I don't trust the PO. The car did not run hot all day Saturday, and we were pushing hard at times. (We were, weren't we?) huh.gif

As you can see, I'm a newbie, and I don't have all the terminology down, but I'll answer your questions as best I can.

Steve/San Diego

Steve,
I'm also a non-purists, but the gang here has been as good to me as gold. I really like the scoops on your car! Mine are on the bottom of my car. Click the link below to see.
stevedee
The three latest pics of my car added to Page 7 (about halfway down) on the "SoCal Fun Run #3" thread are excellent, IMO. Go check it out. I'm out of town soon, so doubt I'll have a chance to take more pics in the next two weeks.

Steve
Markeydoo
I have a picture from Saturday but it wont let me post it. It is a .jpg
Mark
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Markeydoo @ Nov 15 2004, 06:48 PM)
I have a picture from Saturday but it wont let me post it. It is a .jpg
Mark

try using .jpeg instead of .jpg

if not, email it to me and ill post it for you

Acox914@comcast.net
Aaron Cox
marks pic....
Dave_Darling
For the "three-hands" phenomenon: Try holding the throttle open with one hand and aiming the timing light with the other hand. Look at "about" how far off the timing mark is from where you want it to be. (Works best when you paint the top of the closest fan blade or put paint marks on the pulley.) Let go the throttle, and keep looking at the fan with the timing light. See where the marks and such end up. Then twist the distributor so that the fan moves "about" the same amount as it was off before. Then grab the throttle and rev 'er up again, checking to see if you've got it set or not.

...At least, that's how I do it...

--DD
914werke
Bump icon_bump.gif
scotty914
or the lazy method set it at 8 or so on idle with hoses disocnnected then rev to 3 k and check it and adjust from there
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.