Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paint codes, rear trunk stays, shop manual pdf, and fastener sizes...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BritCarJim
in no particular order of importance...

my car is white. '75 914-4. the underhood areas, underbody, underdash, etc. indicate that it has always been white. i found a color code chart elsewhere on the 'world which doesn't list "white," per se, but does list a "light ivory" with a color code "L80E." is this what i have or what am i missing? if i'm going to pick up a rattle can of something at my local auto-something store, is this available or is there a currently available modern-car equivalent?

somebody bent the fudge out of my rear trunk stay so that it is just useless. i can take the torsion rod loose and bend it back, but is there a good reason the guy did it, or was he just stupid? is there something here i am missing or something else i should do? i've seen gas-strut options for front hoods but not rear, but what is wrong with the original set up?

i have a pdf of the haynes manual or whatever of my britcars on my computer here for easy reference. anybody have one of the 'teener so i can goof off more effectively at work? i have book at home but i don't want to have to butcher and scan it. just asking.

fasteners: i know with some cars there are 4 or 5 faster sizes...tpi and length...that you can buy and have 90% of what you need on the car. any easy tips about what i should buy a bunch of. i like to replace fasteners that get weather with new ones that are plated to resist corrosion.

thanks, jim

(bonus pic for your entertainment...with 7 year old assistant.)

Click to view attachment
JawjaPorsche
Is that the color code in your door jam? Can't have enough assistants!
BritCarJim
oooh. could be. donno. can't see it from here at work...but i'll look when i get home.
Chris H.
On the paint code, look in the front section of the passenger side door jamb where the hinges are for a tag. Part of the ID tag should include the paint code, which will likely be L80E. There are several online places that will mix up your paint formula for you. I used paintscratch.com back in the day but you have to call them. They only have one code on the site showing but probably have the formula...Dr Colorchip was also able to match my paint code L50C ...haven't used it yet but it looks like a match. Another option is to have it matched at an automotive paint store by bringing a headlight cover in. Might get a better match since it may have faded over time.
SirAndy
QUOTE(BritCarJim @ Feb 14 2013, 08:59 AM) *
my car is white

There was no factory "white" paint for the 914.

The only white is "Light Ivory" L80E.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=colors

popcorn[1].gif
BritCarJim
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 14 2013, 01:06 PM) *

my car is white

There was no factory "white" paint for the 914.

The only white is "Light Ivory" L80E.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=colors

popcorn[1].gif

thats what i was betting. i know the outside of the car has been re-sprayed but looks pretty close to the underhood color.
BritCarJim
yeah, if there was anything on the passenger door jamb, its long gone now.
poorsche914
QUOTE(BritCarJim @ Feb 14 2013, 07:55 PM) *
yeah, if there was anything on the passenger door jamb, its long gone now.

I think Chris meant "driver side door jam" poke.gif

driving.gif

Cairo94507
The paint code on the door jamb of the passenger side just like Chris said. It is between the top and bottom hinges.
Tom_T
If it was originally L80E, then your forward driver side door jamb will have a plate like this pic below. Rattle can generally won't be a good match, & who knows what your PO used on it, so the idea of matching at a local auto paint store is the best way to go & hopefully they can get it in spray cans.

You could also try Paintscratch.com & Dr. Colorchip for a match to factory color code L80E or the 1100 for the Porsche code of the same paint color, but they don't guarantee anything on old paint codes & old paint.

Click to view attachment
... pic of mine fyi
Larry.Hubby
Paintscratch definitely can supply L80E in a spray can. I just bought some for my 1970, and it's a good match. You'll find it listed only as a Volkswagen color, however.
type47

somebody bent the fudge out of my rear trunk stay so that it is just useless. i can take the torsion rod loose and bend it back, but is there a good reason the guy did it, or was he just stupid? is there something here i am missing or something else i should do? i've seen gas-strut options for front hoods but not rear, but what is wrong with the original set up?

I'll comment on the trunk ... Check to see if the rear trunk lid torsion bars are tied down on the ends as I think the bars are very hard (at least to me) to bend by hand. The ends closest to the sides of the car should go over a roller which is on a pin on the hinge (I'll try to get a pic to help). I'm thinkin' that on the repaint, they didn't install the lid torsion bars correctly due to the difficulty of working with them or the rollers are missing and/or pins broken .... (or not)
Click to view attachment

many fasteners are 6, 10, 11, 13, 15mm. I find these at Home Depot and Lowes or other hardware stores.

You might be interested in the PET if you haven't already discovered it. It was the BEST resource I got those many years ago when I got into 914's. There is a link in my signature to the PET and Pelican electrical diagrams which I also find very useful.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.