Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carb Choice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mblizzard
I have been sorting through some questionable past mechanical choices that were implemented on my 1.9 (1.8 with 96mm cylinders). Currently it seems to have some type of single Weber a 32 I think that seems to have come off a Ford car. Not a good choice of carbs by any measure. Of course will be going back with dual Webers but I am struggling between the 34 and 40. The 40s are much more attractive than the 34s but there is a sizable cost difference. The 34s are about $400 and the 40s $600. I plan on driving the car on the road and I am just looking for something that has the ability to be drivable but also deliver the performance when called upon. Other than appearance, is there any reason to go to the 40s? It seems that the 34s would be sufficient. Thoughts?
Woody
40s so you can go bigger later. stirthepot.gif
DBCooper
The 40's are FAR more tuneable, and you'd get two thirds of what you paid for them if you were to sell them used. The single-throat 34's would be worth a third of what you paid, and that difference should be a good indicator of what people in general think of those two different setups. In fact what YOU'LL think about them about a year from now.

The IDF's are harder to set up, but your car will run FAR better once they're set.
Valy
I had two dual Weber 32 on a 1.5L Alfa Romeo boxter engine. They were nice but the same carbs on a 1.75 were already limiting the performance.
I say go 40!
nathansnathan
The 34's are weber 34 ict's? The drawback is that they are dual single barrel carbs, where the idf 40's are dual double barrel so you get individual barrel tuning - It is a world of difference. I have 32mm venturi's in my 40's, so it's not just about the throat size.
monkeyboy
If you are willing to look into other choices, I'd look for 36 Dellortos.
Drums66
QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Feb 14 2013, 03:21 PM) *

If you are willing to look into other choices, I'd look for 36 Dellortos.

.....I 2nd this choice idea.gif (if you must have carb's)
bye1.gif
Mblizzard
OK it looks like 40s it is! The best cost I have found is at Weber Carbs Direct. Are there any other sources to buy the kit?

Thanks for the.comments they helped a lot.

Just to show what some view as a repair, check out the connection of the throttle cable to the carb. Yes that is what appears to be the pull chain from a light switch!
GeorgeRud
When the carbureted 914s were being built (not for US consumption), what size did Porsche choose for the engine? I seem to remember that they used two single barreled carbs in their setups.

For a street engine, it's often better to have a smaller,Mather than larger Venturi so you get good atomization of fuel at idle and at the lower speeds that many engines actually run at.

Back in the day, I had 40mm Solex carbs on my 2.0 914, and then went to the 44mm Weber conversion. I don't think I did myself any favors with the larger carbs except when I was driving on track days (if even then).
rhodyguy
all i saw were 44s (unless i looked in the wrong place). if that's all they have and the IDFs have 36mm venturis be prepared to change things with your 1911cc displacement.

do they come with the velosity stacks as pictured? if you're buying just the carbs don't forget to buy a linkage kit and a filter set. some kits may not come with a throttle cable holder. call them and ? to ask.

1. where are the carbs manufactured?
2. what is the warranty?
3. do your linkages come with a throttle cable holder?

buy the CB weber book. have fun.

k

Mblizzard
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 15 2013, 12:04 PM) *

all i saw were 44s (unless i looked in the wrong place). if that's all they have and the IDFs have 36mm venturis be prepared to change things with your 1911cc displacement.

do they come with the velosity stacks as pictured? if you're buying just the carbs don't forget to buy a linkage kit and a filter set. some kits may not come with a throttle cable holder. call them and ? to ask.

1. where are the carbs manufactured?
2. what is the warranty?
3. do your linkages come with a throttle cable holder?

buy the CB weber book. have fun.

k

You have to search for the 40s. If you do you get http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/product_p/wk288.htm. It seems to be the whole package.
rhodyguy
that linked helped...lots.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.