Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heater Help.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1973Porsche
Okay well my heater lever is causing some issues. Every time I pull the lever it seems just to vent exhaust gas into the cabin. Is there any way to fix this?
timothy_nd28
heater use in Texas?
1973Porsche
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Feb 14 2013, 07:22 PM) *

heater use in Texas?

Yeah it was cold the other day and I just wanted to try it out to see if it worked. It just seemed to vent exhaust gas into the cabin.
SirAndy
QUOTE(1973Porsche @ Feb 14 2013, 05:15 PM) *
Okay well my heater lever is causing some issues. Every time I pull the lever it seems just to vent exhaust gas into the cabin. Is there any way to fix this?

Did you check the heater valves, j-tubes and assorted heater hoses?
Do you have the aux blower?
idea.gif
1973Porsche
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 14 2013, 07:25 PM) *

idea.gif

I don't know. I'm still a bit newish to working on it. I haven't checked anything though so maybe I will.
timothy_nd28
snap some pictures from under the engine, and post them here.
SirAndy
QUOTE(1973Porsche @ Feb 14 2013, 05:27 PM) *
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 14 2013, 07:25 PM) *
idea.gif
I don't know. I'm still a bit newish to working on it. I haven't checked anything though so maybe I will.

Also check your heat exchangers. If they are rusted out, they will suck exhaust gases into the cabin.

CO is not the kind of stuff you want to breath in ...
icon8.gif
SouthCali914
I would check the heat exchangers for any exhaust leaks & if found drop the heater tubes till fixed.

You could be exposing yourself to co poisoning. it's cumulative & very dangerous.

could also just be oil accumulated in the exchangers. still not good for you.

don't use the heat till you figure it out.
SouthCali914
^^ beat me to it.
timothy_nd28
Turn the heat back on, (you not in the car) and throw a CO detector inside the cabin somewhere. Check if the detector reads anything after 10 mins. I think the kiddie nighthawk CO detectors gives you a number reading in ppm
JawjaPorsche
I had the same problems until I replaced my exchangers. They were rusted out. The gas flumes you are breathing are deadly.
76-914
May I suggest http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspa...clickkey=196457 . The best $5 you will spend on your teener. They only last one year so replace it when the time comes. I flew with these for years. CO is sneaky as Hell and tends to feel good so you aren't likely to question it's presence unless you recognize it's signs. Sleeping isn't a good thing when driving or flying. beerchug.gif
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 15 2013, 10:30 AM) *

May I suggest http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspa...clickkey=196457 . The best $5 you will spend on your teener. They only last one year so replace it when the time comes. I flew with these for years. CO is sneaky as Hell and tends to feel good so you aren't likely to question it's presence unless you recognize it's signs. Sleeping isn't a good thing when driving or flying. beerchug.gif

Thanks, I've been meaning to locate these (I fly too), but never got around to it!
I'm going to splurge on the 18 month version!

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspa...codetectors.php
walterolin
Might want to take a look at this thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...amp;hl=monoxide
rjames
Turn the heat back on, (you not in the car) and throw a CO detector inside the cabin somewhere. Check if the detector reads anything after 10 mins. I think the kiddie nighthawk CO detectors gives you a number reading in ppm

While the detector is a good idea to do in general, if he's already smelling exhaust there 's no question that there's a problem that needs to be corrected.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.