Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0 Engine rebuild literature?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AE354803
I know this information is out there but I've been searching for 20 minutes and haven't found it (I may have been distracted by George's lightning fast rebuild...)

I'm getting ready to rebuild my 2.0 type IV and I remember seeing multiple references to different books or dvds for rebuilding this engine. I have never rebuilt a type IV or disassembled one before and I would like to get it right the first time.

Thanks for the help and sorry about the repeat post.

Andy

Also if anyone knows of a good machine shop or engine rebuild shop in southern california for type IV engines please let me know. I want to get everything checked out by someoen who knows before I start rebuilding.
StratPlayer
Try the Type 4 Store, Jake Raby has a video for sale on how to build a type 4 engine.
Java2570
First, get the Jake Raby DVD. 2nd, get Tom Wilson's book about rebuilding aircooled engines as it is
very useful for Type 1, 2, 3 and 4 rebuilds. I also found the Haynes manual's section on rebuilding to
have some good tips as well as that book has most of the specs you'll need for measuring and torque values listed. Good luck!
Jake Raby
My video is near 15 years old and quite out of date... It was produced back when parts were worth a damn. Its a good reference but isn't everything.
914outlaw
I bought these on Amazon.com. Suggested by someone here.

How to Rebuild Your Volkswagen air-Cooled Engine (All models, 1961 and up)
Tom Wilson

How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive 19 Ed: A Manual of Step-by-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot
John Muir
Black22
European Motorworks in Inglewood, Ca can do all your machine work, sell you all engine parts and assemble your engine for reasonable prices.

I had them align bore my engine, totaly rebuild my 1.8l heads to 2.0 specs with ported intakes, include all new bearings, cylinders, cam, lifters, hi volume oil pump, balance the rotating mass...etc. etc. etc. I just had them assemble me a short block, all for around 3 grand. Car runs GREAT!

That have been doing VW & Type IV motors for a long time. They are also THE distributor of Type IV Keith Black pistons.
cary
I think Jake is being modest. It's good to hear from him.

I used it to rebuild my 2.0. It sat on the engine stand for 3 years.
I'd watch the video. Back it up and watch it again.
Runs like dream and no leaks. I followed the old school sealers.

My .02c.
EdwardBlume
Its fun watching Jake's video, especially with the banjo and shotguns firing in the background. lol-2.gif
watsonrx13
I rebuilt my 2.0l FI engine using Jake's DVD, then I documented it. Here's a link to the document on my website. Maybe this will help also. Here's the link to the car.

--- Rob
Java2570
QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Feb 16 2013, 06:28 AM) *

I rebuilt my 2.0l FI engine using Jake's DVD, then I documented it. Here's a link to the document on my website. Maybe this will help also. Here's the link to the car.

--- Rob

Thanks for posting that Rob! I also found Van's rebuild site to be most informative and it details a lot of things that people building larger engines will run into in the process.
Jake's right, his video is out of date but for those of us like me who wanted to build a stock-ish engine, it's still invaluable. Here's Van's site: http://www.ephotomotion.com/914engine/
brant
Jake,

nice to see you post here!
we miss you
and your skills also

brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.