Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Non-oil 1.7 air filter option
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rbcm2005
Needing guidance on the best current option for our air filter needs. We have searched but just been left a bit confused.

Found this on ebay but not heard anyone talking about it here. Overkill? But then I had not thought about the hoses before.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200687814735?ssPag...984.m1423.l2649

Cheers!

beerchug.gif
JawjaPorsche
There is a big discussion going on about K&N Filters, how they are NOT good for our 914's.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=204111

Maybe someone knows if you can put a 73 1.7 paper air box on an earlier 1.7? If so, a WTB in classifies would be the next step.
Cap'n Krusty
The oil bath air filter, properly filled and maintained, is generally considered to be the best, i.e., the most effective, of the available options. I believe the K&N type to be the last choice.

The Cap'n
brant
I think its hard to find the one year only (1973) paper stock 1.7 filter parts to retrofit.

I've always understood the oil bath filter to be better than aftermarket stuff.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 15 2013, 06:15 PM) *

The oil bath air filter, properly filled and maintained, is generally considered to be the best, i.e., the most effective, of the available options. I believe the K&N type to be the last choice.

The Cap'n

Agree, but you have to be dilligent. It's very messy to clean and you have solvents (gas) to get rid of. But I think it's a better choice.
There have been those who disassembled these things (amazing how much stuff is packed in there), and retro-fitted to the '73 paper filter. It'll work, but a lot of trouble, and finding the paper filter is tough.
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Feb 15 2013, 06:42 PM) *

The Cap'n

Agree, but you have to be dilligent. It's very messy to clean and you have solvents (gas) to get rid of. But I think it's a better choice.
There have been those who disassembled these things (amazing how much stuff is packed in there), and retro-fitted to the '73 paper filter. It'll work, but a lot of trouble, and finding the paper filter is tough.

I have found there are two good paper air filters that will work on our 1.7's:

Purolator A30052 and NAPA 2011
Jamie
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Feb 15 2013, 03:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Feb 15 2013, 06:42 PM) *

The Cap'n

I have found there are two good paper air filters that will work on our 1.7's:

Purolator A30052 and NAPA 2011

A NAPA 2909 was an exact replacement for my 73 1.7 round paper filter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.