Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Boxster owner feedback (good and bad)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PBC914
Hoping the members here that also have Boxsters can give me some of their feedback and experience with the model.

I've been looking at Boxsters for over awhile. I drove a 2007 Boxster S automatic with Triptonic today that has 14,429 miles on it.
It is being sold by a non-Porsche dealer. I have scoured the Boxster websites, but the main issue that seems to come up is the rear main seal (RMS) and the potential destruction of the engine if their is a catastrophic failure of the seal. Appears to have been corrected from 2009 forward. I called our local Porsche dealership, they reviewed the work history on the car and there is nothing for RMS.
I looked underneath and it appears very clean. The dealer gave me a carfax report which shows the owner history etc, but nothing shows up that would cause concern (i don't trust carfax reports provided by a dealer-seems self serving).

Long story short, those of you with experience-I'm hoping you can provide me with the good/bad/ugly of your experiences. Appreciate the feedback!
Mike Bellis
You should search... There was a thread on this several days ago...

If I remember the topic:
1) Low mileage cars are more likely to have bearing failure due to lack of lubrication.
2) Boxster's are chick cars.
3) Boxster's have heat and air.
4) Most of them are silver.
5) Boxster's are chick cars.
6) Boxster's will rob you of your masculinity.
7) Most of them are silver.

That's about it. biggrin.gif
PBC914
Soooo what you're saying is.....
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(PBC914 @ Feb 15 2013, 05:11 PM) *

Soooo what you're saying is.....

Yep...
Jake Raby
Drove one home tonight with a 300RWHP Raby engine. The only chick that drives a car like this is one who likes to keep the car sideways through three gears.
JStroud
I've got a 97 with 59k miles on it, it's silver, been storing it for my stepfather for two years now. Drove it around before I got my 914 on the road, other than the power, I didn't feel comfortable driving it, seems like you sit too low compared to the dash height. And I'm over 6'. Hate the parking brake lever location.

Also the resale sucks, been trying to help him sell his for quite a while.
And it's IMS that's the problem, but no one seems to put much weight in a repaired IMS.
We replaced the stock with LN engineerings retrofit, a $2400.00 upgrade, but still don't get offers any higher than a comparable car without it.

My opinion, a waste of money, unless you get it dirt cheap so you can drive it to death and don't look back happy11.gif

Jeff
thomasotten
I just bought a 2000 S. Chick car? Well, I have noticed that chicks look at me more when I drive this car. smile.gif

Be sure and check the hell hole before you buy it. biggrin.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(thomasotten @ Feb 15 2013, 06:57 PM) *

Be sure and check the hell hole before you buy it. biggrin.gif

you mean the engine bay ? confused24.gif
EdwardBlume
Who cares if all your friends laugh at you? hissyfit.gif

Just kidding. av-943.gif
doorknobcollector
I've got a 2006 Boxster S and I love it. I think the IMS issues were mostly solved by 2003 or 4, so much less likely you would have a problem there. Just change the oil often and rev it over 2 grand every once in a while. As for the chick car thing... Well, at least it's not a Miata. Good every day car while you work on your 914. Definitely get the 987 if you can, just for the headlights.
JoeSharp
You need to talk to Joe at Series 9. He has been doing all kinds of work on all of the Boxters. He knows which years they changed and what changes they made.
From what I recall the 05 to 09 have a bearing that needs to have the hole motor torn down to replace.
His e-mail
www.914rs.com
phone 386-256-9146
bigkensteele
I would love to know what the percentage of failure is. Kind of like taking a Carnival cruise right now. Probably 10 million folks have had a great time in the last 10 years, and 3000 had the shittiest (literally) experience of their lives. Of those two groups, who is going to get the microphone until everyone grows tired of hearing about it.

I work with a guy who really wanted a Cayman. He researched the hell out of it and ended up buying an '08. This is a guy who would not buy a lottery ticket if the odds of winning were only 1 in 5. If he wasn't scared away after his exhaustive research, then I wouldn't be either.
rfuerst911sc
I seem to recall the Tiptronic cars were less likely to have the IMS issue vs. the manual transmission. Not immune to it just less likely. I have never driven or ridden in a Boxster but I used to run against them in AX in Orlando with the Porsche club. They are a very capable car. And due to depreciation in my opinion the only way to buy is used, let the previous owner/s take the hit. Like any used Porsche buy the best you can find, get a PPI and make sure you have 3k - 4k set aside for " a surprise ". A surprise can happen with ANY used car/truck regardless of make. Go have fun.
JStroud
Through all my research I found that hardly anyone knows the real story. If you google IMS bearing failure lots of information will pop up, including LN Engineerings website, they have a whole section on it.

This is what I found out, these type bearings for the IMS were used between 97 and 08 So to avoid the problem you have to buy an 09.
The problem seems to be the way the bearing is lubricated, or not, and causes it to fail, and destroys the motor when it goes.
Automatic/manual doesn't matter, the problems in the engine.
Seems to happen more on cars that sit, or driven lightly, but not always.
Some have gone at 15k some went over 100k.

Jake make a warning system you can install to monitor it, or LN Engineering has a retrofit bearing.

Personally, I wouldn't own one without fixing it , for me the risk is too great, if the engine blows those cars are really worthless.

It amazes me how uninformed people are about this, also how little they seem to care when they do find out. I guess there are just a lot of people with the mindset.....it will never happen to me! lol-2.gif
I say, be informed.......make better decisions.

Jeff
PBC914
Excellent appreciate everyone's comments...
JRust
I'd buy an S if I got it cheap enough. I'd drive it till the motor failed & put an LS1 in it's place piratenanner.gif
Jake Raby
I would love to know what the percentage of failure is.

IMPOSSIBLE to calculate.

Because no one knows how many were repaired under warranty, how many were built exactly, how many have failed and been mis-diagnosed.

We received nine failure calls this week, making that the second craziest week on the records here.
Spoke
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Feb 15 2013, 08:33 PM) *

Drove one home tonight with a 300RWHP Raby engine. The only chick that drives a car like this is one who likes to keep the car sideways through three gears.

Interesting upgrade. Got any pics?
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 16 2013, 08:57 AM) *

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Feb 15 2013, 08:33 PM) *

Interesting upgrade. Got any pics?

Nah... It looks stock, nothing impressive. Thats the way we love it.

Here is one of the only pics that matters :-)
IPB Image

More of them here at www.facebook.com/fixabrokensix

And this one changes the whole game... Charles and I invented this one and its been a group effort between both our businesses and teams to develop it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCqiYU9uU1Y...player_embedded
tadink
QUOTE(jsconst @ Feb 15 2013, 06:52 PM) *

I've got a 97 with 59k miles on it, it's silver, been storing it for my stepfather for two years now. Drove it around before I got my 914 on the road, other than the power, I didn't feel comfortable driving it, seems like you sit too low compared to the dash height. And I'm over 6'. Hate the parking brake lever location.

And it's IMS that's the problem, but no one seems to put much weight in a repaired IMS.
We replaced the stock with LN engineerings retrofit, a $2400.00 upgrade, but still don't get offers any higher than a comparable car without it.

My opinion, a waste of money, unless you get it dirt cheap so you can drive it to death and don't look back happy11.gif

Jeff

I might be interested - what are you asking for the car?

td
JStroud
QUOTE(tadink @ Feb 16 2013, 09:11 AM) *

QUOTE(jsconst @ Feb 15 2013, 06:52 PM) *

Jeff

I might be interested - what are you asking for the car?

He's asking $10,500.00, but come look at it and make him an offer, he lost his license (Parkinson's ) and can't drive it anymore.

td

thomasotten
Been reading a similar thread on the 986forum. Apparently, the Boxster guys occasionally get this "yeah but it's not a real Porsche" comment that we 914 owners are so acustom to. I am not really sure of the reason, being that the power plant is Porsche all the way with the Boxster.

So now that I own a Boxster as well as two 914's, do they all somehow total up to be equal to at least one real Porsche? confused24.gif

Jake Raby
QUOTE(thomasotten @ Feb 18 2013, 01:50 PM) *

Been reading a similar thread on the 986forum. Apparently, the Boxster guys occasionally get this "yeah but it's not a real Porsche" comment that we 914 owners are so acustom to. I am not really sure of the reason, being that the power plant is Porsche all the way with the Boxster.

So now that I own a Boxster as well as two 914's, do they all somehow total up to be equal to at least one real Porsche? confused24.gif

It don't matter... They all blow up equally.
DWSIX
QUOTE(PBC914 @ Feb 15 2013, 06:05 PM) *

Hoping the members here that also have Boxsters can give me some of their feedback and experience with the model.

I've been looking at Boxsters for over awhile. I drove a 2007 Boxster S automatic with Triptonic today that has 14,429 miles on it.
It is being sold by a non-Porsche dealer. I have scoured the Boxster websites, but the main issue that seems to come up is the rear main seal (RMS) and the potential destruction of the engine if their is a catastrophic failure of the seal. Appears to have been corrected from 2009 forward. I called our local Porsche dealership, they reviewed the work history on the car and there is nothing for RMS.
I looked underneath and it appears very clean. The dealer gave me a carfax report which shows the owner history etc, but nothing shows up that would cause concern (i don't trust carfax reports provided by a dealer-seems self serving).

Long story short, those of you with experience-I'm hoping you can provide me with the good/bad/ugly of your experiences. Appreciate the feedback!

I have owned 5 of em. All S...would not go with a non S. Would always be wishing I had an S.

I think they are great cars......kind of like a modern day 914.

07 is a good year, but electronics were upgraded in 09 to include bluetooth. Better Navi system in 09 and some other improvements.

Good luck.....but don't be surprised if you feel like the 911 is what real Porsche men drive. driving.gif Boxsters are very much a girls' Porsche cheer.gif , even though it is plenty masculine for a man....I just don't see many women driving 911s.
somd914
"...07 is a good year, but electronics were upgraded in 09 to include bluetooth. Better Navi system in 09 and some other improvements..."

But what about handling, power, ergonomics, etc.? New cars, it's all about the bells and whistles...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.