Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gates Green Stripe
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
What's the benefit in running green stripe? Is it because it is tough and is exposed to the elements when run beneath the car?
speed metal army
Green Stripe is good.Parker flex is better!Super tough carcass,and is made for bending in a tight radius.
Click to view attachment
charliew
Wonder what the cost difference is?
bulitt
Yup, its all good.

O'reilley auto parts sells green stripe 5.99$/ft for the 1-1/4"

NAPA sells the 1" for 5.98$/ft and the 1-1/4" for 5.77$ per foot. (yellow stripe).

Renegade will sell you a hose package for 120$.
76-914
icon_bump.gif Not to be an ingrate but what is the "benefit" of running green strip hose. In other words why are people using this high priced hose over std heater hose??? BTW, thx for the pic's and referrals.
DBCooper
It's tough, intended for harsh marine environments, and wound with a spring steel insert to maintain shape and prevent vacuum collapse.
bulitt
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 17 2013, 10:17 AM) *

icon_bump.gif Not to be an ingrate but what is the "benefit" of running green strip hose. In other words why are people using this high priced hose over std heater hose??? BTW, thx for the pic's and referrals.

Most people route it under the car where it is subject to striking debris and speed bumps. If you plan on routing it through your longs or other unexposed location you could go with a cheaper hose? Your call. The higher quality hose will probably have twice the service life of the cheaper stuff so over time the cost will be equivalent. Personal choice price vs. cost of damaged hose/engine overheating.
speed metal army
QUOTE(charliew @ Feb 16 2013, 09:00 AM) *

Wonder what the cost difference is?

Parkerflex isnt cheap, but then cooked engines arent either! I figured if I was exposing that much hose to the elements,I would pay the extra for insurance.Plus the small radius bends you can get are crazy!
Drums66
.....& with the horizontal bends, doesn't kink under pressure idea.gif

bye1.gif(as stated "tough")
76-914
I'm not running exposed but that "tight radius" ability may require that I use it. Regular heater hose is cheap enough that I can install a piece to see how well it works. Whichever it is I'll put it down in my build thread. Once again the "collective World mind" has helped greatly. pray.gif
r_towle
I am partial to Redstripe myself, if I must have a watered down beer...redstripe all the way..
Ib a hammock, on the beach, in Jamaica.

rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.