Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: just another progress thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
xsboost90
ill go ahead and introduce myself as im a regular on rennlist and recently more on here. My name is dan(xsboost90) since i used to be big time into turbo mk3 supras. Got my first porsche a year ago-89 944 and after doing alot of work/paint etc..traded it for a 924s and a 76 914 2.0. Now im in the process of rebuilding from the ground up this car including cutting out some rust-not too bad someone had already done alot-PO owned a body shop- but missed some in the floor and fenders. I also purchased a motor which has already been totally rebuilt w/ very little milage and a cam from someone local who needed more-200hp 2.0 rat motor!!- for their project. Ill go ahead and start a thread and try to keep its progress posted for those who find these things handy. I also have a couple of pics of what i plan on it to look like in the next couple months when i paint it..yes im a jack of all trades so to speak. Thanks, stay tuned. driving.gif
xsboost90
last week..
xsboost90
here is where i welded the fenders into the cowl....what rust?
mharrison
Welcome to the board! I'll look forward to following your progress. (Maybe it will encourage me to move a little faster on mine!)

So, any plans to BOOST the 914?
xsboost90
i threw a "pull the motor out party" this saturday, it was...short lived as it took a half hour to pull the motor and six more to drink all the beer.
xsboost90
now i have the rear suspension out and im going to weld up the rear floor section, strap the rear arms/ frame and rockers inside the car, and install some s2- yes 944 s2 springs in the rear as they are the same size diameter and factory 160lbs. I also have some 924s phone dials that when i drill the rear and w/ the adapters on the front-eventually 911 suspension up front- bolt right up 6" wheels.

this is what im planning on the car to look like eventually.
914GT
My kind of party! I'd like to go where I can drink beer and watch somebody else work on cars for a change.
xsboost90
i doubt itll ever get boosted..but we'll keep that option open.
brant
Dan,

wow.. great looking car.
keep it up...

brant
aircooledboy
Never think for one second yours is "just" another progress thread. I think it is a lock that everybody's two favorite things about this place are: 1)instant access to an unbelievable amount of knowledge and experience 2) the chance to gain motivation and vicariously live through the projects of others by following their resto threads. boldblue.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Remember though, there is no such thing as too many pics, but you will get your balls busted if you don't post enough. laugh.gif monkeydance.gif
kafermeister
QUOTE(aircooledboy @ Nov 15 2004, 12:11 PM)
Never think for one second yours is "just" another progress thread. I think it is a lock that everybody's two favorite things about this place are: 1)instant access to an unbelievable amount of knowledge and experience 2) the chance to gain motivation and vicariously live through the projects of others by following their resto threads.

Remember though, there is no such thing as too many pics, but you will get your balls busted if you don't post enough.

Well said Chris. I wub.gif progress pics and stories. Can't have enough pics.

Dan, if you need any help, I'm in the area and could donate the occasional Saturday afternoon here and there. What part of Cincy are you located? You hang with any of the VW guys?

FWIW, I also own a white '76 2.0 (rolller)....for now. May be going to new owner when the facilities become available. Then I'll start on my Blau '75 Ca roller.

Rick Harris
SpecialK
I like the idea of welding up the cowl to fender seam, hey it's not like the fenders are 'bolt-on'. Looks good, and eliminates one of the many "rust traps" so common on these cars.

I'm all for customizing and modifying these cars to suit. The only version IMO that would be worth keeping absolutely "stock" is an original -6.

That being said, what's up with that yellow one...... huh.gif lol2.gif

Aircooledboy is correct, PICS, PICS, and more PICS! beer.gif

Kevin
Steve Thacker
Welcome to the board! I'm up here in Columbus. Keep up the good work on the car, looks nice.
xsboost90
ok, some more pics of the car and some stuff i got to go into it...eventually.
xsboost90
my rebuilt 2.0 w/ scat cam, racing wires, stainless heat exchangers and lightened flywheel....
xsboost90
phones? oh yeah!
Gint
Remember though, there is no such thing as too many pics, but you will get your balls busted if you don't post enough.

agree.gif

Welcome to the Club Dan.

Make a sig, put your name and a link to this this thread in it. Let me know if you need help
MattR
Nice car! I like the wheels, Im running the same ones on my car.

Can we get some more pics of the poster girls? wub.gif
xsboost90
got the floor all cut out the other day and ready to patch up, not much rust, just at the rear corner of the firewall and floor.
xsboost90
made a patch panel for the center and welded it all up, next step will be the sides and center below the linkage...should be fun.
xsboost90
sprayed some rust preventer stuff all in the entire center section of the floor all the way down to the pedals, sprayed rock guard around the welds in the patch panel, and then undercoated the whole deal...should keep it from coming back for awhile..I also made some drain holes in the patch to let out any water that may find itself back inthere.
xsboost90
and w/ the undercoat...cant wait till the whole bottom looks like this.. clap56.gif
boosted
Hey Xboost, remember you from rennlist....

Nice work...
xsboost90
hey thanks! got my rear arms apart tonite and cleaned them up to spray. NExt to have the rear hubs drilled...
Bleyseng
Nice pics and yes, ditch the crappy adapters and get the hubs drilled before they break.

Geoff
xsboost90
getting there, got one more piece welded into the firewall, doing a piece at a time to get the shapes all correct. I just finished welding in the pieces around the linkage/fuel lines/throttle cable and clutch cable. I had to weld the end of the clutch tube back on as well...kinda broke off. Then after i weld each piece im using etch primer to the bare metal and then using rock guard to fill in and seal the gaps around the edges. THen im using rubberized under coating over that! Im also using a rust prohibiter on the inside of the panels to keep me from having to do this again..hopefully. I like overkill.
xsboost90
more pics, the floor is DONE!!! on to the body and painting the engine bay!
type47fan
Nice work, Dan clap56.gif . At the rate you're goin', you'll have it done in no time!
Eric_Shea
One shot shows the phones on the back and the next page has you needing the hubs drilled confused24.gif

Looks good so far smilie_pokal.gif

(Let me know if you decide to go with those hubs I've got.)
xsboost90
i got three of the four adapters for five lug when i bought the car...i needed the other rear to put all four on..i decided to have the rear drilled- more clearance- and eventually ill switch the front to 911 stuff a bud of mine is selling.
xsboost90
yeah! ordered my five lug rear hubs from eric shea yesterday and should have em soon!!! also getting some new bearings for xmas-thanks dad- and euro lenses for the front-thanks mom. I have a feeling the gf/ is getting me another momo wheel....that would be swweeeett. beerchug.gif
Eric_Shea
i got three of the four adapters for five lug when i bought the car...i needed the other rear to put all four on..i decided to have the rear drilled- more clearance- and eventually ill switch the front to 911 stuff a bud of mine is selling.

Very good idea. Adapters = bad

Goods are on the way! Thanks!!
xsboost90
yeah got my hubs today~ driving.gif
Eric_Shea
Glad they made it! smilie_pokal.gif

From looking at that Avatar picture... you may want to have Grandma get you some sway bars for Christmas biggrin.gif

Keep me posted on the progress. Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

E.
xsboost90
ok, more progress...got the firewall and engine compartment including the inside of the rollbar primed and painted black tonite..looks pretty good, got a couple of runs from the cold weather and my little crappy heater didnt keep the temp up but good enough for an engine compartment.
xsboost90
even the mounts for the suspension are painted now..just need some undercoat.
xsboost90
collectiing parts lately, heres my euro markers, and i have now some wheel bearings and some needed tools, just waiting for the negative digit weather to settle down after the holidays.
xsboost90
update again...got my chrome ds mirror and rear sway support brakets. I think ill be in the garage in the next week welding, painting and trying to put my rear suspension back together. I may also be cutting up the quarter and welding in some 944 quarter flares to clear my slicks. IPB Image
skline
QUOTE (xsboost90 @ Dec 29 2004, 04:48 PM)
update again...got my chrome ds mirror and rear sway support brakets. I think ill be in the garage in the next week welding, painting and trying to put my rear suspension back together. I may also be cutting up the quarter and welding in some 944 quarter flares to clear my slicks. IPB Image

That sounds interesting, please post pictures of the rear flares on the car. I always thought that would look cool. You are the first one I have heard of attempting it.
bryanthompson
Wow, I can't wait to see what those flares look like! I made a photoshop of what it might look like back in the day, I'll look for the file.

good work IPB Image IPB Image
Trekkor
I like what you have done. I too, will be watching the 944 flares.

Keep up the good work! IPB Image

KT
xsboost90
well, i had my bud cut the flares off of this car before he tows it off, they are now sitting in my garage w/ my pile-o-parts. After i get my swing arms welded up and its sitting on all four again, im going to put on my slicks and check clearance. Based on that, i will cut out the lip of the fender, weld in the flares, and weld the lip back in like factory. IF it clears-doubt it- then ill leave it be, but i dont see that..of course.
dan10101
We will be watching the flare thing closely.

Andrew has been eyeballing my spare set of 944 rear quarter pannels sitting in the backyard. We did some measurements a few times and it is a possibility. Maybe have to put them on backwards due to the length of the pannels. We never got any further than that.

(if anyone else gets the bug, I'll let them go cheap... IPB Image )
Steve Thacker
IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

Keep going man, looks like another Rick "The Alien" Ollah work style personality. Rick works like a demon when it comes to cars. Sounds like you have the bug also. I don't have a heated garage up here in Columbus, But by the autumn I will have a heated one in the backyard. Stay warm and keep rocking!!!!!!! IPB Image
xsboost90
got my braces for the rear arms finally today, alread have one installed. Not my best welding by i think itll work for a street car.
xsboost90
got the second arm all welded up. Those little holes are hard to weld through. NExt comes the primer and the paint for them and then some installation. Maybe then i can see if my quarters will need to be stretched. IPB Image
Stutgart46
IPB Image Keep the pics coming.
Are you still going with the 2 tone paint scheme?
jd74914
Yeah. We need pics of the 944 flares on your car if you every get to that. I've been thinking about that for a while (I don't especially like the look of gt flares, or the cost) I've never seen an teener with them though.

Great work, and good luck IPB Image
xsboost90
ok so still working on the swing arms-may get them painted today- but i got them in primer and ready. I also ended up selling the mirror i just bought and buying a cool set of custom ones from the local street rod store. I like these much better than the chromey.
xsboost90
heres my mirrors- manually operated no cables or anything, but they are adjustable and have little caps to cover the screws after you install everything.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.