Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT Oil Cooler and Water Cooled Radiator Cut Outs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
I'm ready to start cutting the front for my radiator cut out. I had read that the GT oil cooler cutout is sufficient and would like to see some pic's of same w/ dimensions if possible. I like that look but would be open to any tidy configuration. Show me yours.
Question: Must I use the 916 FG bumper to do the GT oil cooler cut out?
ArtechnikA
Must I use the 916 FG bumper to do the GT oil cooler cut out?

Think about it - the GT's didn't ;-)
However - the 916 bumper is readily available, and the GT bumper and valence is harder to come by.
Chris H.
I'm thinking about just cutting a sliver out of the middle section of my stock valance and replacing it with mesh (leaving the support tabs of course). About the same size as the GT valance hole should work. Think I will use the stock SVX radiator which is more cooling than needed and vent out the bottom...similar to the PJ Haun setup or a larger version of the GT Oil cooler setup...

Hijack complete...carry on...
Phil Plummer
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 16 2013, 12:05 PM) *

I'm ready to start cutting the front for my radiator cut out. I had read that the GT oil cooler cutout is sufficient and would like to see some pic's of same w/ dimensions if possible. I like that look but would be open to any tidy configuration. Show me yours.

I am going with an oil shroud from QRS and have gotten a new 2nd generation mazda RX7 oil cooler for cheap off of "CarID .com" it fits almost like it was made for it and then the front bumper is a 916 style seems to be going together well enough as for the gt style front that should work well too with the shroud
I angle to oil cooler slightly but for a small amount of $$ it will more than provide adiquate cooling especially with the thermostate regulation the oil flow at temp
At times I wish I would hadone the gt front but too late to turn back .
The oil shroud was a mere 125.00 and I have the bottom vent for sale still in package if anyone wants it cheap (We made a custom vent and grill un der oil shroud) will show pictures when done
Phil Plummer
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 16 2013, 12:05 PM) *

I obtained a mesh similar to grill screen cut to fit the 916 oil cooler hole and put a second screen over entrance to oil shroud to protect oil cooler
moparrob
I also went with a 914-6 GT style glass front and an RX-7 cooler for my 6 conversion. I decided to cut out extra holes in the front for more airflow:

Before:

IPB Image

After:

IPB Image

I used one of these hole punch tools:

IPB Image

This is the 'before' with the bumper and lower valance in place:

IPB Image

The parts still need some trimming...
GeorgeRud
When I did mine, I used a hole saw from my local hardware store to create the additional hole, and bought the front bumper and valance from Getty Design. I think I've seen them elsewhere as well from the usual fiberglass sources.

Eventually, I modified my original painted steel bumper by cutting and welding as I liked the better fir across the hood. If you don't like the 916 look, there are alternatives.
wndsrfr
Mine came with the 916 bumper....I cut out the entire opening to fit an RX7 cooler then vented it through the floor pan bungs and two new circular openings into the steering rack area thence out the bottom of the cover (skid plate) by opening it up.

After I found that the RX7 cooler has restrictor plates in it, I went to a huge ex Nascar Fluidyne unit that I scored in the classifieds here--really keeps the oil cool!

Here's a couple of photos:
76-914
QUOTE(moparrob @ Feb 16 2013, 04:09 PM) *

I also went with a 914-6 GT style glass front and an RX-7 cooler for my 6 conversion. I decided to cut out extra holes in the front for more airflow:

Before:

IPB Image

After:

IPB Image

I used one of these hole punch tools:

IPB Image

This is the 'before' with the bumper and lower valance in place:

IPB Image

The parts still need some trimming...

Rob, that is exactly the set up I was looking for. Is that set up available for narrow body or were GT's flared?
moparrob
The GT's were flared but if I recall correctly, QRS also has the front bumper and valance for non-flared cars. If the car is a street car (as opposed to a track car) be sure and ask them to add extra fiberglass to the structural mounting points - which they did for me.

http://www.qrsfiberglass.com/catalog/index...main_page=index

ArtechnikA
I clicked on that QRS link (mistaking it for the link to this page) and AVAST just about went nuts with bells and whistles and warnings. I donno what the deal is but I'm not gonna click it again...
76-914
A million thx, Rob. That is a great tip. That Greenlee tool is a smart choice as it leaves a smooth cut. I will use a hole saw but I'll also polish the edges. No need to create future cracks. Lucky me, I live one town over from them. And Rich, from what I've read (courtesy of Elliot), he is not comp savvy and is aware of the sites issues but needs to wait until his son returns from EU to correct the problem. confused24.gif Until then he prefers phone calls.
maddin
Would there still be enough airflow through the opening if you'd use the stock bumper without the cut-out?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(maddin @ Aug 6 2015, 04:43 PM) *

Would there still be enough airflow through the opening if you'd use the stock bumper without the cut-out?

The key to air flow is to create a low pressure area behind the cooler. This is made by making sure the air outlet is larger than the inlet. So, it might work fine with a stock bumper but it will have slightly less exposed cooler without the cutout.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.