Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Went To SCCA Rally Cross Today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bruce Allert
Accompanied my wife (Kathleen) to a Corgi (dog) function at the Hillsboro fair grounds. As we were turning into the fair grounds I notice a bunch of cars playing in a field on a muddy track. I thought "Whoa!" I gotta see this. Anyway, I went into the dog thing (for awhile wink.gif ) paid my respects, then, while kathleen was deep in conversation with another Corgi lover I excused myelf to have a look at this "fun muddin'" burnout.gif
Turns out it's the PNW Region SCCA Rally Group. Must'a been 30 cars with more on the way.

I had to laugh at the high revs of the engines but the slowness of their speed. That track was slick. driving.gif It's done in a grassy field, cones layed out just like AX and then, if it isn't wet enough, they have a water truck spray water to make it slicker! There were some really good drivers. It's like a drifting contest. You have to know when to start the cars turn before the turn and straighten it out at the right time... and let the MUD FLY mueba.gif

Here's a pic to a WRX. It wasn't all 4 wheel or all wheel drives. Alot of them were Datsun 210's & other stuff like that. TTOD was by an old datsun or nissan with short wave antenas on the roof!!! Looks like fun beer.gif

....b
drew365
That looks like fun. I'd hate to have to work on the car after an event like that.
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(drew365 @ Nov 14 2004, 08:23 PM)
That looks like fun. I'd hate to have to work on the car after an event like that.

Ya! No shit!!! I'd have to buy a beater & a rotisserie at the same time. Clamp the car in then hit spin cycle & turn on the hose smile.gif

......b
MattR
One of my friends and I took his awd celica to one of those things in Corona a few years ago. He got two runs and flatened the tire. It was WRX heaven. I think 9 out of 10 cars there were Subarus.

It was a fun event though. I was his co driver, and it was slow, but a lot of fun.

We didnt worry about cleaning his car though. It was a white celica, and we thought it looked sweet with mud coming up from the wheel wells.
eric914
Slow is a relative term. Remember, these are run on dirt and gravel courses. I have done a few rally cross events that have had dry courses and 40mph+ was possible. About the same as an autocross event. I have crewed for a friend at a few pro-rally events and it is amazing what the top cars do, 140+mph on long straights, don’t forget Dirt Road.

If you ever get a chance to go to a pro-rally do it. It’s amazing to see a 450+HP turbo car with 4WD going balls out on a loose surface.

My aviator will give you an idea how nuts these people are.
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(eric914 @ Nov 14 2004, 09:17 PM)
Slow is a relative term.  Remember, these are run on dirt and gravel courses.  

Compared to running AX on pavement these cars were slow due to the slick clay track... but I know what you're talking about. I've seen the road rally cars going balls to da walls and THAT is F A S T burnout.gif I don't think I'd have the balls to do the actual road rally what with the accidents I've sen. The clay trak is more my speed.

.....b
ChrisReale
World Rally Champoinship is one fo my favorite events to watch on Speed.
Different surfaces and changing weather patterns create for an exciting element before the race. Its cool watching the crew customize the tires for the weather...
drgchapman
Those WRC guys are nuts (read really fast). Sebastian Loeb, Marcus Gronholm, Petter Solberg. I love watching them on Speed as well. Best drivers in the world! Many different surfaces, limited practice on the circuits, navigators that are right most of the time, when they aren't......look out!!! They are doing a better job of promoting than F1, great camera work in the cars, better show. I tivo every one.
Check it out if you haven't seen it.
Bruce Allert
The guys I met in the "cow pasture" event were great. Turn out was good and the comraderie was just like at the Porsche Club AX.
They kept proding me to get the Outback Sport & try a run thru on their track. It would'a been worth doing just to see the look on my wifes face ohmy.gif when I went back to pick her up at the doggie function all covered with mud laugh.gif Ran across a rally club event in the coast range a couple months ago. There were a few tail draggers out there with mud/snow tires. Can't imagine how they did but the roads were good and flat, no chuck holes or deep mud pits so maybe they fared OK.

........b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.