Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how rare is the 3rd seatbelt option
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
I know the 3rd seatbelt option was for only the early cars. My 70 didn't have one and the early parts cars I have had in the past didn't either. Just wondering how rare and option that was back in the day.
mettelman
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Feb 16 2013, 11:27 PM) *

I know the 3rd seatbelt option was for only the early cars. My 70 didn't have one and the early parts cars I have had in the past didn't either. Just wondering how rare and option that was back in the day.

Interesting question. I just noticed a third set of belts tucked under the seats of my 1970 914-6. Thought is was installed by a previous owner.
pete000
My 70 six has the center the mounting locations, but no belts installed.
GaroldShaffer
I picked up a 70 parts car last week and found it has the belts. That is the first time I have ever seen them and the reason for my question.
mepstein
It might have been rare to actually have the belts but its easy to grab some belts from the rear of an early 911 and bolt in to the existing mounts.

My daughter would fit the middle but its not safe in my opinion. - Back in the 80s when I first bought my car I would always have room in the middle for a pretty girl.
914Sixer
It was an option up to 72. After that that quit welding in the bolt receivers. I have never seen a car with this option installed though in all the cars I have been through.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Feb 17 2013, 08:19 AM) *

It was an option up to 72. After that that quit welding in the bolt receivers. I have never seen a car with this option installed though in all the cars I have been through.

Can someone post a photo of the third belt option installed ?
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 17 2013, 10:23 AM) *

Can someone post a photo of the third belt option installed ?

Here is a picture from the parts car I have. In the first you can see all three belts. In the 2nd pciture I tried to show how the belt is mounted. It's not the greatest picture, but you get the idea.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tom_T

However, the local SoCal dealers did carry the belts & would even weld in the mounts if you wanted them.

The original owner/PO of my 73 had started to do so in my 73 2L, but then the 3rd kid on the way ended that plan of his & he had to sell it to me in late 75, and get a family car for the soon to be family of 5. He did go so far as to remove the center console for kiddie leg room, which I never got & have paid dearly now to get a replacement one! dry.gif
Tom_T
Also early cars also had 2+1 passengers on their tire pressure stickers on the gas evap tank when so equipped by factory with 3rd belt AFAIK.

IIRC the 3-point belt couldn't be fitted to the center position, so they stopped the 2+1 & extra belt option - as well as for lack of many ordered/optioned that way up to 72.
mepstein
Just found a set. The plate to attach has a (factory) bend in it.
dlkawashima
So earlier you guys were debating button up or button down. First, what the heck does that mean, and second, which way is right? I assume in the picture you posted, one of the belt latches is button up and one is down. I'm going to make a guess and say the passenger seat belt is button down and the center seat belt is button up?

Click to view attachment
Dasnowman
Good info here I have a 71 with mounts and it has a plastic type screw plug in it. I have two small kids and would love to go for a burn with them in the car. If any one decides to sell the middle seat belts I would be interested.
mepstein
Button up/down - I just threw it in the car for the pic. I did not mount.

I have no real reason to have a 3rd belt except for the novelty of having one. I would still be concerned about putting a child in that seat. Please make sure they will not end up in the shifter.
914Sixer
It was a factory option or dealer install. I suspect most were dealer install. I think there was a listing for the belt set in the parts book, not sure if it was shown the PET.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.